New to the forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrodoTbaggins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've just purchased my first diesel, it's a 05 Dodge ram 2500 with a 5.9l Cummins. I got it because my toys were growing larger than my 1/2 ton truck could safely handle and my Granddad was selling his truck and along with knowing that he takes very good care of his stuff the price was right. Anyhow, when the truck is idling either cold or warm it doesn't matter. It seems to have a.....I don't really want to say surge but it will blip like it's losing 50-100 rpm. It doesn't show any change in RPM on the tach but you can hear it from outside and feel it while sitting in the truck. I have researched this but all the results are greater surges in rpm and rough idle which is not my case. Is this normal diesel operation or something I should be concerned with?

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Welcome! What's a Cummings?

OP
OP
F

FrodoTbaggins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It’s the manufacturer of the Diesel engine that Dodge uses.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also to answer your original question, an idle hunt is not normal. My line of work we classify a hunt as <50rpm high or low and a surge as >50rpm high or low (without any kind of throttle or governor input). It's a real problem for generators. Do you know if it did this when your granddad had it? Do you know how old the fuel and/or fuel filter is?

OP
OP
F

FrodoTbaggins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Also to answer your original question, an idle hunt is not normal. My line of work we classify a hunt as <50rpm high or low and a surge as >50rpm high or low (without any kind of throttle or governor input). It's a real problem for generators. Do you know if it did this when your granddad had it? Do you know how old the fuel and/or fuel filter is?

I would have to ask him. The fuel is not very old I have went through two tanks since I have owned it, which has been about 3 weeks now. I do have a new fuel filter to put in it, I was going to do this tomorrow and see if that helps. Truck has 99k miles on the original injectors. Doesn't have any white smoke while idling, no blow by, and only a small puff of black smoke when WOT.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
Welcome Cummins newbie. You need to change the fuel filter before even guessing what could be causing the random stutter. Please don't be like some posters here, as they never respond whether they found their problem and solved it or, who knows, got mad and ran it off a cliff. LOL BTW, injectors wouldn't cause what you are describing.

OP
OP
F

FrodoTbaggins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Welcome Cummins newbie. You need to change the fuel filter before even guessing what could be causing the random stutter. Please don't be like some posters here, as they never respond whether they found their problem and solved it or, who knows, got mad and ran it off a cliff. LOL BTW, injectors wouldn't cause what you are describing.

Sounds good, I will change the fuel filter tomorrow and see if that solves the issue. I will post if that solved the issue or not.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've just purchased my first diesel, it's a 05 Dodge ram 2500 with a 5.9l Cummins. Anyhow, when the truck is idling either cold or warm it doesn't matter. It seems to have a.....I don't really want to say surge but it will blip like it's losing 50-100 rpm.

I've read that you can smooth out the idling with an adjustment to the mechanical inject pump. Sorry, I can't provide you with more info but it gives you something to search on. Good luck and welcome.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is it possible the blip he's noticing is the grid heater cycling? Do the headlights flicker at all with this blip? How old are the batteries? Might be worth having them tested.

OEDRO

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum!!!!

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I've read that you can smooth out the idling with an adjustment to the mechanical inject pump. Sorry, I can't provide you with more info but it gives you something to search on. Good luck and welcome.[/QUOT

The 2005 CTD doesn't use a mechanical injector pump. Sometimes I wish they still had a mechanical pump because of it's simplicity but those trucks didn't produce the torque the common rail engines gives us.

OP
OP
F

FrodoTbaggins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins

So problem seems to be solved by changing out the fuel filter. I haven't noticed the blip anymore since doing that.

Is it possible the blip he's noticing is the grid heater cycling? Do the headlights flicker at all with this blip? How old are the batteries? Might be worth having them tested.

I do notice a flicker of the lights when the truck first starts up. I'm assuming that this is caused by the grid heater cutting on and off. However, once it starts charging the batteries (per the gauge in the truck) it goes away.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963