New truck, leaks & rattles, sprayed in the face with water driving down highway...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There are tubes that go from the sunroof down to some point

I'll see what i can find on Youtube

I saw another short video, the guy was sticking part of a roll of String Trimmer Line, like weed wackers use & he was slowly working it through those drain lines to clear them

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There are tubes that go from the sunroof down to some point

I'll see what i can find on Youtube

I saw another short video, the guy was sticking part of a roll of String Trimmer Line, like weed wackers use & he was slowly working it through those drain lines to clear them
I wouldn’t be too disappointed if I could clean these once every couple of months to prevent the issue. But with it being only the second time it’s rained in a few weeks since picking it up, it’s almost like it would require daily cleaning during rain season. For whatever reason I love to have a sunroof. Thanks for sharing!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Do you park under any kind of tree or tall bush that drops anything like berries or just plain leaves

You may need to start cleaning around the edges of the sunroof before opening it, so nothing can get near tubes

OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Do you park under any kind of tree or tall bush that drops anything like berries or just plain leaves

You may need to start cleaning around the edges of the sunroof before opening it, so nothing can get near tubes
Negative, it’s rare for anything be on the vehicle unless winds are really bad. And while I love having a sunroof, I don’t really open it often. If there is some sort of link here though, I want to know, being able to prevent this would be amazing.

OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
F3AD0D45-274B-4513-8A2A-B7B3CF66A7D7.jpeg
Is this normal? I’d have figured sunroof drains are for an occasional drip, this was a steady drip (sometimes stream) and is present on more than one corner.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Is that water drip/stream inside the rubber seal? hard to tell from the photo. If it is inside, definitely not normal.

OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is that water drip/stream inside the rubber seal? hard to tell from the photo. If it is inside, definitely not normal.
Oh yeah. Can’t seem to upload a video here but it’s pretty consistent when it’s raining. The tilt of the truck when parked seems to determine whether I end up with a pool in the front flooring or not. So if truck is tilted nose down, I get flooded under the pedals. If truck is tilted nose up, I haven’t figured out where that’s going yet….

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
NVM. The RAM uses a different type of seal than the one I described previously.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
No it does not appear normal. I posted about a type of seal where the seal is adhered to the body with sealant and the glass pulls down into the seal. RAM uses a type where the seal is on the glass and pushed up into the body. I didn't want to leave bad info in the thread so I edited the post.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Oh yeah. Can’t seem to upload a video here but it’s pretty consistent when it’s raining. The tilt of the truck when parked seems to determine whether I end up with a pool in the front flooring or not. So if truck is tilted nose down, I get flooded under the pedals. If truck is tilted nose up, I haven’t figured out where that’s going yet….
For years they've been designing sunroofs with the knowledge that it's almost impossible to completely seal them, especially when the seals age. So they're mounted in a tub with drains on all four corners to get rid of the water that will make it inside. It's normal for a little bit of water to get in. But it shouldn't be a steady stream. I suspect there is an issue with yours not closing completely. I've read about people having an issue where the glass doesn't completely close. Does yours sit completely flush with the roof when closed?

OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For years they've been designing sunroofs with the knowledge that it's almost impossible to completely seal them, especially when the seals age. So they're mounted in a tub with drains on all four corners to get rid of the water that will make it inside. It's normal for a little bit of water to get in. But it shouldn't be a steady stream. I suspect there is an issue with yours not closing completely. I've read about people having an issue where the glass doesn't completely close. Does yours sit completely flush with the roof when closed?
Yes it does. This was one of the first things I checked. Sunroof was replaced under warranty by dealer. When they leak tested it after replacement, they said it didn’t leak. Now it’s leaking from all 4 corners and sides.

OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Another quick update for y’all:

Turns out FCA/Stellantis closed the case without my approval. My original case was escalated to upper management regarding water damage to upholstery and electronics. I called my Case Manager on 8/17 and had to leave a voicemail regarding the leak coming back in force. If you’re familiar with the process, you know that when you have a case, it automatically routes you to your case manager. It did this on 8/17. When I called today, 8/19, it took me to the generic call prompt and asked for an extension. It would seem the case manager closed my case AFTER I left a voicemail saying my truck is taking on water again.

I’ve felt pretty disrespected during this whole ordeal, and this sealed the deal. I’m blown away my case was closed without notifying me, and particularly immediately after I leave the CM a voicemail on such a critical issue.

I was instructed to call a dispute number to convince RAM to reopen it.

I’m at witts end. I can’t do anything until a second repair is attempted and these guys can’t get loaners for weeks. I don’t understand how I’m supposed to sit around for 6-8 more weeks paying $1100 a month for a vehicle, and not be able to drive to the grocery store or to work.

I got a truck that’s losing money by the rain drop here and these guys act like it’s the best time to make someone jump through hoops.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I hate to even suggest this but can you duct tape it from the outside to at least seal out the water until they get you a loaner and get it into the shop? At least you can drive it around with one of those big signs in the bed reading "I Got Screwed by Name of Dealer and RAM".

Also, can you rent a car to get around in while it is at the dealer and not wait for a loaner? You would then have expenses you could try to recover in small claims court and get the truck on its way to being fixed.

Perhaps calling the local TV station if they have a "7 on Your Side" type reporter. Car dealers are like lawyers, everyone hates them until they need one.

OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hate to even suggest this but can you duct tape it from the outside to at least seal out the water until they get you a loaner and get it into the shop? At least you can drive it around with one of those big signs in the bed reading "I Got Screwed by Name of Dealer and RAM".

Also, can you rent a car to get around in while it is at the dealer and not wait for a loaner? You would then have expenses you could try to recover in small claims court and get the truck on its way to being fixed.

Perhaps calling the local TV station if they have a "7 on Your Side" type reporter. Car dealers are like lawyers, everyone hates them until they need one.
I hear ya, and not bad thinking. I’ve been avoiding tampering with anything just to not get blamed for something. Might not have a choice here.

Considering rental, and yes news should be reporting stuff like this. Just like you said though you can’t avoid these manufacturers/dealers and they all have their issues

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Thanks, I understand that, but the reason for the post is simple. I wish I had known these things before purchasing. Show me one owner's review that reflects on anything I've hit on that actually has a target audience of potential buyers. Certainly none that I read or was able to find, despite actually looking. Yet here we are, and come to find out, there's plenty of posts if you search for that specific issue. If no one takes the time to write up their experience purchasing a new RAM, then plenty of people will follow suit just like I did and purchase a truck, not realizing they didn't make an informed purchase.

I focused all of my attention toward H.O. vs. S.O. (Aisin vs 68RFE) and did not think about other flaws. My Power Wagon was absolutely perfect, I had high hopes and no reason to think otherwise, and I was so focused on powertrain reliability instead of issues that weren't often discussed on forums and would ultimately impact my life. Quite frankly, there's not a single owner review that I heard or read about the truck that I purchased indicating that this became an issue, yet now that I have it, it pops up like crazy when specifically searched on the forums. I'm all about informed purchases. I hope that your truck has been nothing but amazing for you, because if it weren't for these few major issues and particularly how poorly they're being handled, I'd be telling everyone how great it is.

Bottom line too, RAM's refusal to correct any of this except the leak itself is what has me most upset. For an issue that's been common for quite some time, they didn't fix it in production, and they expect me to foot the bill for everything except the defect itself. That alone is enough to convince me it's not worth buying from FCA again. And it's something other owners should be aware of, especially someone who's on the fence about purchasing. Trucks aren't Lambos, these aren't meant to be luxury items, even the Limited trim with a sunroof should be a solid work truck. Some of us are here because we bought a heavy duty truck for heavy duty use, and may even make a living running the truck.

More than likely I'm going to keep the truck. I'm not happy about it. I'd take a new one without a sunroof if they had the decency to lemon law this one out. Don't be fooled by the post, I'm in love with the truck, but this experience needs to be known and has put a sour taste in my mouth to say the least. It's tough to stomach the fact that you love a product, and would buy one again because of how much you love it, but the people who you have to rely on to handle problems suck.

Honestly if someone meets this post with distaste, disrespect, or ridicule, they probably fall in the category of people who should be counting their blessings. Someone down the road from my house had all these problems and more with his brand new truck.
My wife when she purchased her 2020, got every extra item she can. She knows I'll pay for per happy wife, happy life issues. Heck she won't even let me drive herself.

OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Every RAM dealer is weeks behind on loaners. Customer care case handler won’t return my calls/voicemails - daily for a week now. Reached someone about my case and they say they can offer $40/day for a rental. Current rental rates are $95-100/day from Enterprise for the cheapest car on the lot. So in order to not be forced to completely drop my life and daily transportation, I need to come out of pocket $60/day for a vehicle I already pay $1100/month for.

Unreal.

GaryR3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
New to sight, I just ordered a 2022 ram 3500. Ordered back in June. I had a2017 1500, the carpet floors were wet back and front. I have presently a 2500 same thing. Found out the third light lens leaked.