New truck, leaks & rattles, sprayed in the face with water driving down highway...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I got a 2021 3500 with ** Cummins. Only issue I really had was a loose body mount bolt. Thanks for your post, as it reaffirms that I am blessed. I hope your life brings blessings in other areas, but it sounds like this truck ...ain't it.
Thank you! Not surprised you got a good one, they're great trucks. IMO water damage is probably the worst thing to be stuck with, so avoiding a sunroof option is probably a future rule.

OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Lemon it. Well check your state law but here is it 20 business days.
They get 30 days to repair here, but since the repair was "completed" I'm not sure what recourse I have. The electronics are affected components, but that is where the debate currently lies.

OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Update: The dealer told me today that since the electronics and airbags aren't throwing a light, they're fine. I told him that I can't accept that since electronics begin corroding in high humidity environments with exposure to water/condensation. He says they aren't going to replaced things based on a maybe, and that we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I told him that it would probably take until it's out of warranty, since I drive a lot, he again just said we'll cross that when we get there. I asked him what the deal will be at 36,001 miles, no comment.

After they continued to insist that everything's fine, I asked my service advisor what waterproof rating the electronics under the dash has, he said he didn't know, he doesn't plan on finding out, and he proceeded to ask if any dummy lights were on, and again refused to help. This sounds silly to ask a random service advisors, but it goes to show that the folks who's job it is to evaluate a warranty claim can't even answer where they get their standards from.

My service advisor also blocked my number because I said that this whole situation is BS. Probably because there's no more money in helping me. Pretty frustrated my dealer wouldn't go to bat for me and actually believes I should be cool about all of this.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
They get 30 days to repair here, but since the repair was "completed" I'm not sure what recourse I have. The electronics are affected components, but that is where the debate currently lies.
In my state fixed or not you can lemon it. You get all fees including taxes and tags and such. Call your DA and or a lemon lawyer and ask. This sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Update: The dealer told me today that since the electronics and airbags aren't throwing a light, they're fine. I told him that I can't accept that since electronics begin corroding in high humidity environments with exposure to water/condensation. He says they aren't going to replaced things based on a maybe, and that we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I told him that it would probably take until it's out of warranty, since I drive a lot, he again just said we'll cross that when we get there. I asked him what the deal will be at 36,001 miles, no comment.

After they continued to insist that everything's fine, I asked my service advisor what waterproof rating the electronics under the dash has, he said he didn't know, he doesn't plan on finding out, and he proceeded to ask if any dummy lights were on, and again refused to help. This sounds silly to ask a random service advisors, but it goes to show that the folks who's job it is to evaluate a warranty claim can't even answer where they get their standards from.

My service advisor also blocked my number because I said that this whole situation is BS. Probably because there's no more money in helping me. Pretty frustrated my dealer wouldn't go to bat for me and actually believes I should be cool about all of this.
You might want to consider an extended warranty if you decide not to pursue the lemon law course of action. I'd generally avoid 3rd party warranties and go with a Mopar extended service plan. There are lots of options to choose from. I've read you'll usually get the best deal from Zeigler or Clay Robbins as far as pricing goes, but you can always just buy it directly from Chrysler as well. I'm sure it goes without saying to make sure the warranty you choose covers electronics.

Contact info for Ziegler:
[email protected]

Contact info for Clay Robbins:
[email protected]
785-789-3940
www.robbinsmotors.com

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque

I can't believe they're sticking it to you like that. I'd be pretty hot.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ DITTO ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Great color on yer truck, LSU04.

I will be purchasing the Mopar extended warranty at the end of this month, since My warranty is up on 1 August. Be three years since I bought the truck, it was an early 2019 (Built in Apr 2018).

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ DITTO ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Great color on yer truck, LSU04.

I will be purchasing the Mopar extended warranty at the end of this month, since My warranty is up on 1 August. Be three years since I bought the truck, it was an early 2019 (Built in Apr 2018).

Thank you brother. I got the extended warranty for mine, too. The financier told me it was the best option to go with a 75K mile full warranty and knocked it down to his cost so it hit me for $5 extra dollars a month.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You bought it from Rockwall? That's who I went to. Drove 3 hours west to buy from them. Best dealership I've ever been to.

Sorry for the off-topic response. Small world though. I'll see myself out now.
No I just travel frequently out there. I bought it from a local dealership near DFW airport. That is my preferred dealer.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the suggestions, a few here I have not tried. RAM Cares was contacted, or at least I believe that was who my case manager was with.
Didn't finish reading all the responces, but all this should be covered under warranty. Also you have the lemon law to fall back on.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Are the headliner and carpet showing water stains from the leaks?
If so, there is no way Ram can deny them under warranty.

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would read up on Lemmon laws in your state or the state you bought it in. I wouldn't be avoiding taking it to dealer for issues. As to use Lemmon law you need a history of issues and/or so many days of being broken down.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is clearly Not a lemon law case so I don't know why people keep suggesting it? The "issue" was repaired end of story.
You can't lemon law on the premise that something "might" fail down the road? That's not how these laws are written.

It sucks what happened and I completely sympathize but I think this is a closed case. The dealer repaired the problem.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0

REALLY?!! SELL IT NOW!

The used truck market is roaring. You have no confidence in it. You will always be questioning your decision to keep it WHEN, NOT IF, things go wrong. Eventually you will get disgusted with repairing it, but by then the used truck market will have collapsed back to normal prices... and you will be out several thousand $$$$.

Find another truck that doesn't have a sunroof. And if this is really a work truck, why is it so optioned out? A true work truck has only the options needed for the job. NO carpeted floors, leather seats, fancy radios/navigation options, and certainly not a sunroof.

SELL it and get a real work truck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Hire a Law Firm if you don't have one on payroll already

Ram factory does not install Sun Roofs, a Body Vendor does that
I believe that the same goes for Cab Roof Lights

The Body Vendor is under Contract to add items onto any Ram Model, such as Bedliners, cab Lights, nerf bars, bed accessories, they may also install the floor mats
I don't know who installs the Mud Flaps

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just a quick update - dealer said it was fixed, they water tested it. We just had our first moderate rainstorm since, and it’s leaking again. They’ve had the truck 6-8 weeks in total I believe, and it’s gotta go right back in.

RAM also issued a check to help cover lost usage of the vehicle, since I sustained quantifiable losses as a result of its initial shop visit. Which I appreciate. But wow, I thought I had it sorted out for a minute and it came right back.. dealer suspects clogged drains, kinda wondering is this on the maintenance checklist for this truck? 6BBD7598-3F60-4840-84D0-A2E502D741D1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is clearly Not a lemon law case so I don't know why people keep suggesting it? The "issue" was repaired end of story.
You can't lemon law on the premise that something "might" fail down the road? That's not how these laws are written.

It sucks what happened and I completely sympathize but I think this is a closed case. The dealer repaired the problem.

Jokes on me I guess, because it’s back!

And I understand this POV on the surface, but would you buy a laptop that’s been dropped in a pool just because it still works? The electronics are not water rated to any recognized standard, therefore them being exposed to water as a result of their defect/negligence makes them their liability. With that said, I feel I have every right as a consumer to receive an extended warranty on the devices in the line of fire.

Corrosion damage doesn’t result in immediate failure. In many applications it can cause a fire. In small electronics cases it can cause intermittent issues. You know, the kind dealerships don’t seem to care about unless they can replicate it.

In other words, I gotta worry about this truck being a nightmare in x miles. I got enough to worry about without that in my life. In other news, Lemon Law in my state is 30 days in the shop (consecutive or non consecutive) with defect still present.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

berguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
REALLY?!! SELL IT NOW!

The used truck market is roaring. You have no confidence in it. You will always be questioning your decision to keep it WHEN, NOT IF, things go wrong. Eventually you will get disgusted with repairing it, but by then the used truck market will have collapsed back to normal prices... and you will be out several thousand $$$$.

Find another truck that doesn't have a sunroof. And if this is really a work truck, why is it so optioned out? A true work truck has only the options needed for the job. NO carpeted floors, leather seats, fancy radios/navigation options, and certainly not a sunroof.

SELL it and get a real work truck.
It’s not necessarily a work truck in that sense, it’s for pulling camper to work location. Not a single scratch on her that’s my doing! I agree with what you are saying though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357