Newbie ? - Unhooking Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought this truck for my wife. Love it so far but concerned about all the electronics especially the air suspension. Having trouble getting my trailer unhooked as it continues raising while I raise the trailer. I tried the trailer Jack mode but that didn’t stop it. Ended up having to get two people to stand on the bumper which seemed to outsmart computer. I know this questions been asked but I cannot find it in search. What’s the answer?

Grimson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t have factory air but surely you can reduce/turn off that control?
My ball will sometimes get hung in the tongue of the trailer and the jack will lift the truck. Just back up a bit which resolves this issue. You’ll learn fast! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Macklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried that too. I’m on my thirteenth boat so I know a bit about trailering. I know nothing about air suspensions.

OP
OP
M

Macklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Having trouble getting my trailer unhooked as it continues raising while I raise the trailer. I tried the trailer Jack mode but that didn’t stop it. Ended up having to get two people to stand on the bumper which seemed to outsmart computer. I know this questions been asked but I cannot find it in search. What’s the answer?
When your ready to disconnect the trailer, unhook the WDH bars and put the truck in Off-Road 2. Then lower the trailer jack to support the trailer and release the coupling. Put the truck in Entry/Exit mode, sometimes have to shake/kick the coupler sideways to help it separate. Once the ball is clear, just pull away slowly.

Last edited:

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Just bought this truck for my wife. Love it so far but concerned about all the electronics especially the air suspension. Having trouble getting my trailer unhooked as it continues raising while I raise the trailer. I tried the trailer Jack mode but that didn’t stop it. Ended up having to get two people to stand on the bumper which seemed to outsmart computer. I know this questions been asked but I cannot find it in search. What’s the answer?

Might the ball be too large for the trailer hitch?

Also try greasing the inside of the trailer hitch.

Try putting some blocks under the jack before trying to unhitch.

And, I just painted the trailer hitch white so it is easier to see when I'm backing up.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Redneck thought, is there a fuse for the system?
Yes there is a 40 amp fuse for the compressor but he is most likely having a problem with the residual over air pressure raising up when taking the trailer hitch off. Raising the truck to Off-Road2 then setting the trailer jack, then setting the truck to Entry/Exit modegi es a total drop of the suspension like 4".

OP
OP
M

Macklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes there is a 40 amp fuse for the compressor but he is most likely having a problem with the residual over air pressure raising up when taking the trailer hitch off. Raising the truck to Off-Road2 then setting the trailer jack, then setting the truck to Entry/Exit modegi es a total drop of the suspension like 4".

Thx for the feedback! Much appreciated. I have much to learn about this beast. And I only get to drive it on weekends.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I’m assuming you’re talking about a halfton, correct? I guess you could be talking about a 3/4-ton with the rear air ride as well but I’m not sure if those have all those modes or not as well but anywho, if this is a halfton- that mode Jack Mode is just jack mode, not trailer jack mode. All that mode’s for is for when you have a flat, you put the air suspension in jack mode so that when you go to jack up what ever corner of the truck up, the air suspension doesn’t try to auto-level itself but if all you’re trying to do is just unhook from a trailer, tuen you should just be able to jack your landing gear down and not have the air suspension do anything but since I’m not there, I have no idea what’s going on but one of the things you could do is just before you unhook, raise your suspension up to off-road 2 mode (just off-road mode if it’s a Rebel), drop your landing gear down, then get back in the truck and drop it down to entry/exit mode.

Hope this helps.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When hooking up or disconnecting put the air suspension in tire jack mode, disables the air suspension so you can do it without it raising. When unhooking raise your jack until it just starts to lift the truck, disconnect everything and lower to entry/exit. Works for me every time.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When hooking up or disconnecting put the air suspension in tire jack mode, disables the air suspension so you can do it without it raising. When unhooking raise your jack until it just starts to lift the truck, disconnect everything and lower to entry/exit. Works for me every time.

What are you pulling to have to put your suspension in jack mode whenever you connect/disconnect from it?

Granted, I don’t pull trailers a whole lot and when I do, it’s just a little single axle utility trailer with a lawn mower on it but, I’ve never had to put my suspension in jack mode just to hook up and unhook from it, and even the one time I was picking up and dropping off my boss’s heavy duty flatbed, I wouldn’t of had to do any of that. The only reason I even used my off-road mode and my entry/exit mode was just to hook up and unhook with ease, without even really needing to crank the landing gear at all.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Try leaving the truck running. Raise the trailer a 2-3 inches. Wait about 30 seconds and watch the rear drop. The auto level shuts off about 10m after the truck is shutoff so if you are past that the truck will go to maximum height as you unload the suspension by lifting the trailer.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
FYI, and as corneileous pointed out, this thread is a mix of the rear air leveling system offered only on the HDs and the four-corner air system offered on the 1500.

The two systems do not have commonality.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What are you pulling to have to put your suspension in jack mode whenever you connect/disconnect from it?

Granted, I don’t pull trailers a whole lot and when I do, it’s just a little single axle utility trailer with a lawn mower on it but, I’ve never had to put my suspension in jack mode just to hook up and unhook from it, and even the one time I was picking up and dropping off my boss’s heavy duty flatbed, I wouldn’t of had to do any of that. The only reason I even used my off-road mode and my entry/exit mode was just to hook up and unhook with ease, without even really needing to crank the landing gear at all.

I pull a travel trailer at 5500 lbs with around a 450lb tongue weight. When hooking up the bed always has extra gear of around 500-700lbs so the suspension like to raise which forces the electric jack to raise even further. Locking it down stops that.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pull a travel trailer at 5500 lbs with around a 450lb tongue weight. When hooking up the bed always has extra gear of around 500-700lbs so the suspension like to raise which forces the electric jack to raise even further. Locking it down stops that.

Hmm. So do you only have a certain amount of travel on your trailer jack? Your suspension’s only supposed to raise so much to compensate. That’s why I’m not understanding why you[and the OP] are having to do this. lol. Not sure if this matters or not, but are you using anything- board, block- between the ground and the landing gear foot?

I guess I just simply don’t know because I’ve never actually hitched up to and unhitched from anything that heavy. Even with my big riding mower on it, hitching up to my little utility trailer doesn’t even activate the self-leveling of my air suspension...lol, and it’ll squat/raise about little under an inch.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
As @dexter said, maybe it's hitch-related? I have a 1500 with four corner air suspension which definitely adjusts for load variances. That said, I hook and unhook from horse trailers and have never experienced what's being described, unless the ball is physically stuck in there. Question to the OP - do you hear the air system adjusting as you're trying to unhook?

OP
OP
M

Macklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As @dexter said, maybe it's hitch-related? I have a 1500 with four corner air suspension which definitely adjusts for load variances. That said, I hook and unhook from horse trailers and have never experienced what's being described, unless the ball is physically stuck in there. Question to the OP - do you hear the air system adjusting as you're trying to unhook?

yes. But the ball MAY have been stuck. I did not have this issue the first time I towed the boat. It’s a 8500 lb rig btw, towing with 1500 limited.

I like the recommendation to go to off Road 2 mode then lower the trailer jack then go to entry exit mode. I will try this next time.

I appreciate all the input!!

Last edited:

dan212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have the factory air suspension you are in a great place to unhitch. My new truck has it and I love it.
When unhitching, life could not be easier. Under Settings->suspension, put the suspension in Transport mode. This tells the suspension lower the truck all the way down to the bump stops. The truck lowers and with a few cranks of the jack handle you can pull away. Easy as pie. This is probably one of my favorite features of the air suspension.

To hitch, just do the same thing. Lower your truck and back the ball under. Turn Jack/Transport mode off and let the truck rise.

Too cool for words