No CAI available???

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by CiggyByrns, Feb 22, 2019.

1. mtnrider

mtnrider Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins

^ Bingo, we have a winner. The stock air filter/intake has more then enough volume to satisfy your motor. Don't waste you money on after market CAI that will not filter as well. Nothing to gain there but "look I have a aftermarket air filter"

2. Phylodog

Phylodog Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2012 & 2018
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
    Anyone have any data to back up their claims?

3. SouthTexan

SouthTexan Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    408 CTD
    The worst part about the factory "Ram Active Air" is that it hardly pulls air from the front grill if you actually have a way to watch when it pulls air from the front. 95% of the time it only pulls from the fender. I had to tune that out to pull from both 100% of the time. I went with the AFE momentum with the the 7 filter made for dust since I am at the farm all the time. I have had to change it less than the factory filter due to it's size alone. It is probably not needed, but not having to change it as much is worth it for me.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  4. mtnrider

mtnrider Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    I'll try and dig it up, it's been a while but it is out there we are not just pulling this out of our .....

Several big name tuners ran tests and proved the stock air system has more then adequate air flow to support even a tuned truck (street tunes that we would be using not some dedicated drag racing truck). And filters better to boot.

5. Ratket

Ratket Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 1500
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I personally would not used a “ Oiled” filter on a forced induction engine.

BossHogg likes this.
  6. Jimmy07

Jimmy07 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    Absolutely. IF you do decide to get a pretty CAI, at least stick with the paper media filter and not an oiled one.

7. SouthTexan

SouthTexan Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    408 CTD
    Having worked for Cummins for several years with a few of those years in filtration, I would not have any issues running an oiled filter in a diesel. In a gas forced induction engine may be a different story. There is a lot of unknowns from horror stories on the internet, but seeing what actually happens on a dyno cell, I am not afraid.

Some people here would not believe what we put through some of those engines. They ate dust that would have seized a gasser and still kept going.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    AFMoulton likes this.
  8. CiggyByrns

CiggyByrns US Navy Retired IYAOYAS Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    I’m with this guy. I mainly want it for the sound...and just to say i have one. I like spending money on my truck.

dodgeramfan likes this.
  9. BossHogg

BossHogg Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    RAM is guilty of not telling us the operating criteria of the RAM active air system. From the mouth of my servicing dealership's diesel tech, when the engine is under heavy loading, and in high temperature operating environment, the air-intake comes from the front grill. I have no idea if this is true or partially true, despite searching around for answers a few years ago, I never did find much information on the active air system.

10. SouthTexan

SouthTexan Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    408 CTD

You could install an S&B light like the one in the link below or you could set it up to monitor it with an Bully Dog and sensor docking station like I did. Depending on where you live and how you use you truck, you may never even see it switch to the front grill.

S&B’S NEW COLD AIR INTAKE FOR 2013-14 RAM HEAVY DUTY DIESELS

Unloaded, it would never pull from the front grill when I was monitoring it. I had to be towing my RV during the summer for it to do it. I installed an AFE Momentum intake and had my tuner remove the flap activation so now it pulls from both. Not only did improve my EGT's, but it takes a lot longer for them to get to my alerted temps(@ 1,200F). I hardly ever hear my CTS2 alert me anymore where before it would do it just getting on the highway with a hot tune.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019