No CAI available???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CiggyByrns

US Navy Retired IYAOYAS
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I’ve been looking and looking and can’t find a good AEM or K&N CAI for a 2018 2500 Cummins. Is this for real???

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Give Nick @gotexhaust a holler he’ll have what ya need. He’s a preferred vendor here and exceptional customer service.
If he can’t help then give Matt @Hemi450hp @moesperformance a holler. I know both these ole boys personally and can hook ya up.
Moe’s customer service is outta this world. A really awesome man.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
There’s already a better CAI installed on your truck from the factory...unless you’re only concerned about the looks of it.

??? explain your thinking please

I love my truck!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
??? explain your thinking please

I love my truck!
The truck that he’s talking about, a ram with the 6.7 CTD, already has a CAI with ram active air installed from the factory. Unless one was only concerned about the LOOKS of the CAI itself, an aftermarket CAI will offer ZERO gain.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The truck that he’s talking about, a ram with the 6.7 CTD, already has a CAI with ram active air installed from the factory. Unless one was only concerned about the LOOKS of the CAI itself, an aftermarket CAI will offer ZERO gain.

I misread the Cummins part. My bad.

I love my truck!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

^^^^ this
It's been reported that you'll get an error code if you unplug the CTD Ram Active Air system.
I know the CTD, EcoDiesel and Powerstroke diesel engines, the stock air filter can out flow what the engine can suck in. Being forced induction, you don't pick up any gain by the minute amount of lower pressure of a "high flow" air filters found with aftermarket CAI.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Interesting. I won't claim to have found monster power gains from my S&B CAI (I had it installed at the same time as my deletes) but I sure can't imagine it hurt anything and I am thoroughly enjoying the significantly increased sound from my turbo.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Placebo effect

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

^ Bingo, we have a winner. The stock air filter/intake has more then enough volume to satisfy your motor. Don't waste you money on after market CAI that will not filter as well. Nothing to gain there but "look I have a aftermarket air filter"

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Anyone have any data to back up their claims?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The worst part about the factory "Ram Active Air" is that it hardly pulls air from the front grill if you actually have a way to watch when it pulls air from the front. 95% of the time it only pulls from the fender. I had to tune that out to pull from both 100% of the time. I went with the AFE momentum with the the 7 filter made for dust since I am at the farm all the time. I have had to change it less than the factory filter due to it's size alone. It is probably not needed, but not having to change it as much is worth it for me.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anyone have any data to back up their claims?

I'll try and dig it up, it's been a while but it is out there we are not just pulling this out of our .....

Several big name tuners ran tests and proved the stock air system has more then adequate air flow to support even a tuned truck (street tunes that we would be using not some dedicated drag racing truck). And filters better to boot.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally would not used a “ Oiled” filter on a forced induction engine.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I personally would not used a “ Oiled” filter on a forced induction engine.
Absolutely. IF you do decide to get a pretty CAI, at least stick with the paper media filter and not an oiled one.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Having worked for Cummins for several years with a few of those years in filtration, I would not have any issues running an oiled filter in a diesel. In a gas forced induction engine may be a different story. There is a lot of unknowns from horror stories on the internet, but seeing what actually happens on a dyno cell, I am not afraid.

Some people here would not believe what we put through some of those engines. They ate dust that would have seized a gasser and still kept going.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CiggyByrns

CiggyByrns

US Navy Retired IYAOYAS
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Interesting. I won't claim to have found monster power gains from my S&B CAI (I had it installed at the same time as my deletes) but I sure can't imagine it hurt anything and I am thoroughly enjoying the significantly increased sound from my turbo.
I’m with this guy. I mainly want it for the sound...and just to say i have one. I like spending money on my truck.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The worst part about the factory "Ram Active Air" is that it hardly pulls air from the front grill if you actually have a way to watch when it pulls air from the front.

RAM is guilty of not telling us the operating criteria of the RAM active air system. From the mouth of my servicing dealership's diesel tech, when the engine is under heavy loading, and in high temperature operating environment, the air-intake comes from the front grill. I have no idea if this is true or partially true, despite searching around for answers a few years ago, I never did find much information on the active air system.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
RAM is guilty of not telling us the operating criteria of the RAM active air system. From the mouth of my servicing dealership's diesel tech, when the engine is under heavy loading, and in high temperature operating environment, the air-intake comes from the front grill. I have no idea if this is true or partially true, despite searching around for answers a few years ago, I never did find much information on the active air system.

You could install an S&B light like the one in the link below or you could set it up to monitor it with an Bully Dog and sensor docking station like I did. Depending on where you live and how you use you truck, you may never even see it switch to the front grill.

S&B’S NEW COLD AIR INTAKE FOR 2013-14 RAM HEAVY DUTY DIESELS

Unloaded, it would never pull from the front grill when I was monitoring it. I had to be towing my RV during the summer for it to do it. I installed an AFE Momentum intake and had my tuner remove the flap activation so now it pulls from both. Not only did improve my EGT's, but it takes a lot longer for them to get to my alerted temps(@ 1,200F). I hardly ever hear my CTS2 alert me anymore where before it would do it just getting on the highway with a hot tune.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963