No physical key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheKenster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all.
Just wondering, did you guys get a physical key to unlock your doors?
Because I did not. All I got was 2 key fobs. I've been wondering how I would ever unlock my doors if I ever locked the fob in the truck and I just realized today that I have no key.
Thanks for your input

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TheKenster

TheKenster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a button and a key pops out of the FOB. It's amazing how many salespersons forget to show the customer.
Oh wow, LOL. I feel so stupid! Thank you for pointing this out. I would've never known!

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Don't feel bad as we've all been there on something with these new trucks. These Rams are nothing like buying a 1969 Impala or 1971 Plymouth Fury when I was younger. I can remember grabbing the keys and flying down the road while never looking at the owners manual. In fact, the Chilton's was my best friend simply for doing my own maintenance but the owners manual was never read. Today, these new vehicles have technology and ingenuity (including the keyfob key) which require reading the owners manual - if you want to get the full ownership experience.

AMG16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I got the 2 key fobs, but also got 2 regular keys. Like others said each key fob has one as well.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all.
Just wondering, did you guys get a physical key to unlock your doors?
Because I did not. All I got was 2 key fobs. I've been wondering how I would ever unlock my doors if I ever locked the fob in the truck and I just realized today that I have no key.
Thanks for your input

It’s also worth noting that unless you manually lock all the doors - the system detects that the key fob is inside the vehicle and will not allow you to lock the doors.

On rare occasion I’ve left my key fob in the cup holders and attempted to use the buttons on the door handles to lock the vehicle and it would not let me lock the doors since the fob was inside the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yellowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
I had a regular key made from my fob key have it hidden out side the truck in a magnetic box for an emergency but i couldn't start it without the fob so not sure what good it would do me other than getting out of the rain.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Gets U back in the truck if U lock the fob in the truck. And yes, U can lock the fob in the truck, especially if running. Just put key on seat and push (manually) lock the doors, and wala, there is yer key fob in truck. Also, on the truck being off, and U trying to lock fob in truck. Alarm will sound three times and door open. BUT this only happens twice. On yer 3rd try, Yer fob will stay locked in truck, and vehicle will not automatically unlock.

ADDED: I had a key made from the Valet key, which I have a big ring through and always carry that extra key in my pocket, in case I have a severe case of brain drain and lock keys in truck, just saying. REAL important is say U take a long trip and leave yer extra set at home, just saying. Now the PPL with higher trim levels that have full U-connect, I guess U could call or go on line and unlock. I have a Bighorn, lower level, not have all that extra bling, just a saying...

PSADDED: KENSTER: on the MY 19 1500's, no lock for key on tailgate either, all electronic, plus the autopark sense feature (open door while in gear and moving, truck stop, emergency brake engage) , lol...

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine is the same as "AMG16", two keys, two fobs with the built in keys. I keep a key on my key ring for emergencies, and carry the fob with the little built in key.

SATCOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Why would you ever take your key fob out of your pocket? Even in remote start, put key fob back in pocket after starting prior to getting near or in truck.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Why would you ever take your key fob out of your pocket? Even in remote start, put key fob back in pocket after starting prior to getting near or in truck.
If you don't have push button start, the fob is the key.

2016 1500 Outdoorsman 4X4 5.7L
2.5" Rough Country Lift
LT285/70/17 Nexen Roadian AT
DZ Tailgate Assist
Westin Nerf Bars
Lund Tonneau Cover
Dirty floor mats and a clean soul............

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your going swimming and would like the key work later.

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
One of my buddies accidentally locked himself out and Unconnect was able to unlock it for him. I know you can do this by calling or by using the app on your phone. Pretty handy.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
IMG_0002.JPG
Spring loaded latch
IMG_0002.JPG
Take the hidden key to your favorite key maker and have a copy made that you can use for a hide a key.

The Blue Mule