No Start After Changing Coolant Temp Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
I had a coolant hose leak which I fixed and noticed that the sensor on the passenger side on top of the block was corroded. so I removed & replaced it. then I tried to plug in the sensor towards the driver side and it was brittle & broke. without too much effort on it.

I'm going to replace that sensor obviously but, when I tried to start it doesn't fire. just cranks. I replaced the cps last year so I doubt it's that. it seems that sensor towards the driver side of the thermostat housing is causing a no start. what sensor is that and is it needed to start?

also, could the sensor I replaced on the passenger side of the thermostat housing be bad or incompatible and cause the no start?

thx

rr

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By any chance is one of these sensors the crank sensor? But i believe its towards the back.
The cam sensor sometimes will cause a no start.

I wouldn't think a temp sensor would.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By any chance is one of these sensors the crank sensor? But i believe its towards the back.
The cam sensor sometimes will cause a no start.

I wouldn't think a temp sensor would.
Yes it can.If it's 70* ambient and the sensor is open circuit it will think it's something like - 38* and give it way too much fuel.Or if the sensors shorted and it's - 20* it won't give it enough fuel to start,

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
well. still no Start After replacing both temp sensor. The crankshaft position sensor is fairly new just over a year old, but, the last time it wouldn't start the wires were chewed by some mice and a symptoms were almost identical if not identical so what's happening now. I'm going to pull the CPS and see if it's physically got a problem.
Update I pulled the CPS and it appears to be okay but since it's such a pain I'm going to replace it anyway.
Keep in mind I did get an overheated condition from a hose that leaked well my temperature sensor wasn't operational so I may have driven 15 miles with very low coolant. Anything else anyone thinks I should check please let me know. The vehicle seem to drive okay when I shut it off but, it never started again after that.
RR

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well. still no Start After replacing both temp sensor. The crankshaft position sensor is fairly new just over a year old, but, the last time it wouldn't start the wires were chewed by some mice and a symptoms were almost identical if not identical so what's happening now. I'm going to pull the CPS and see if it's physically got a problem.
Update I pulled the CPS and it appears to be okay but since it's such a pain I'm going to replace it anyway.
Keep in mind I did get an overheated condition from a hose that leaked well my temperature sensor wasn't operational so I may have driven 15 miles with very low coolant. Anything else anyone thinks I should check please let me know. The vehicle seem to drive okay when I shut it off but, it never started again after that.
RR

Honestly, i would start from scratch, when its messing up check for spark and fuel pressure if you can, to see which system if not working. Its just what i would do. Now there are situations where it wont crank having both, but i would check that first.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Yes like OCDTech said, start by checking the basics. Don't just start throwing parts at it no matter how tempting that might be.

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
understood. but I reached the temp sender and Guage sender near the thermostat housing g. then replaced the Crank Position Sensoe (CPS) and it started fine foe a couple of test drives.
Now, I take a trip to the store which is about five miles away and come out of the store and go to start it it starts up then cuts off.
I know I've heard of this problem before but I forgot what the cause was. Hopefully somebody can remember out here.
Dr.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
The truck needs the crank sensor and PCM to communicate properly in order to run. Without one or the other functioning properly, you will have these issues where the engine just cuts off.

What brand of crank sensor did you replace the old one with? Were you positive the old part was bad? These trucks are very sensitive when it comes to sensors and some aftermarket parts will not work right or are defective out of the box.

Could be that the CPS sensor goes wonky after a little heat soaks into it. I've seen that mentioned once or twice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
I used a cheep rank pos sensor from rock auto. I can get it started, but, it's hard to keep it running without giving it gas for a couple minutes, then it will finally idle and drives fine. but, when I turn it off, the "trouble starting" issue repeats itself.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Actually sounds like it could be the idle air control then. That sensor/motor controls the idle of the the truck particularly when it's cold. Do you hear a loud hiss or sucking noise when the engine is about to die? If so, that is a tell tale sign that the IAC is stuck open. Those are notorious for failing on these trucks. They are not very expensive and easy to replace.

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
I will replace it. I got one from another truck and cleaned it up really well. should these have any lube or grease? it's clean but completely dry.
I'll swap these because I only cleaned the one that was in the truck.I suppose cleaningtthe socket where it resides is a good idea. brakleen or carb cleaner ok to use?

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
replaced the IAC with a clean one from another truck. still no change. difficult to start ( almost like it's lacking fuel or the air fuel mix is off)

anyway it's difficult to start then after a couple minutes it starts to idle fine and drives fine until I shut it off. then, same thing trying to start up again.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Hmm... So you have the hard starting issues no matter if the engine is cold or at operating temperatures?

Oh... I see you have 2 threads started for this issue. I'll look at the other thread.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a scan tool, that can read live data?

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
Hmm... So you have the hard starting issues no matter if the engine is cold or at operating temperatures?

Oh... I see you have 2 threads started for this issue. I'll look at the other thread.

yea apologies. I'll post to whatever thread gets the most replies.

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
Do you have a scan tool, that can read live data?
no scan tool. there is a code being thrown. I have an analog odometer so have to turn the key 3x then count flashes.
its throwing a "22" code, "temp sensor out of range", but the temp gauge now works and shows it operating at normal temperature.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no scan tool. there is a code being thrown. I have an analog odometer so have to turn the key 3x then count flashes.
its throwing a "22" code, "temp sensor out of range", but the temp gauge now works and shows it operating at normal temperature.

This may be referring to intake air temp sensor. Will cause problems on cold start. Even a no start sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok i see that is for the engine coolant sensor. But that may be a reaidual code from before. I would try changing iat sensor not sure if you can test.

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
This may be referring to intake air temp sensor. Will cause problems on cold start. Even a no start sometimes

its a brand new sensor for the ecm and the gauge.