NO START ISSUES AFTER CAB SWAP PLS HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XXRJXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good day, first post here, hopefully correct place to post, first off my truck 2014 5.7 1500 4x4, tree fell on my cab, found donor cab 2013, swapped out every bit of wiring harness and modules, dash, bcm, rfh, ignition, tipm,from my original cab, literally only used the bare 2013 cab, was running with no errors previoulsy, get the swap done, had a few warning errors on the dash, adressed most of them, at a point where everything has power, doorlocks, radio, alarm, speedo, everything is working, here is were my problem starts, have a flashing security light on and 2 errors on the speedo, one sayes service power steering, and other one is service electric throttle control, turn the fob in the ignition and nothing, had a mobile lock smith come out said fob and everything was good, but there is no communication to the bcm or rfh module, at this point scratching my head changed various senors, negative sensor on ground wire, tried new battery, checked and cleaned the accessable grounds, i just keep thinking there has to be a common link between service power steering, and service electric throttle control and the security light, any ideas would be great, dont wanan go to the dealer and start changing modules since it was running fine

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Are the two little fuses on your positive battery terminal good?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a good project. Congrats on the swap-over.

So, you swapped over everything ....and you hooked all the grounds back up where they are/were supposed to be? You know for sure (by load test) your battery is good? I assume you've gone back and checked those error connections to make sure a pin didn't slide backwards out of it's location when you plugged in the steering ram and the accelerator.

Have you tripple-checked the TIPM connections? I've read where they have slid out of place on some owners. Just throwing out ideas here...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Did you re-use your original steering column and seats?

OP
OP
XXRJXX

XXRJXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a good project. Congrats on the swap-over.

So, you swapped over everything ....and you hooked all the grounds back up where they are/were supposed to be? You know for sure (by load test) your battery is good? I assume you've gone back and checked those error connections to make sure a pin didn't slide backwards out of it's location when you plugged in the steering ram and the accelerator.

Have you tripple-checked the TIPM connections? I've read where they have slid out of place on some owners. Just throwing out ideas here...
well i swapped battery out of my nephews running truck, and battery had been changed very recently, and i load tested it, engine harness and steering rack harness were never removed, and when i google the throttle control error sayes that is usually bad throttle body, havent changed it yet to see if it changed the error or not, but i assmued since it was running the day before that the throttlebody should be fine, also this truck has only 100, 000 kms, i double checked the tipm connectors, but not triple yet, will check again as well, apprieciate the ideas, also to state i work at a wrecker that mostly wrecks rams so i have lots of parts available for diagnosis, and thanks for the congrats on the swap over, not for the faint of heart thats for sure

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
re-used column, but did end up swapping passenger front seat for one in better condition
That shouldn't be it then,as they'll run with no passenger seat or back seat.I highly doubt unplugging the pass seat will do anything,but it might be worth doing just to check.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Chances are there's a bad or missing ground or a connector isn't seated properly, have you tried reseating them, at least the ones you can get to?

OP
OP
XXRJXX

XXRJXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chances are there's a bad or missing ground or a connector isn't seated properly, have you tried reseating them, at least the ones you can get to?
Sounds like I’m gonna be haha ty but ya gonna have to, was also wondering since there were some slight differences in the cabs maybe one of the grounds may not have been used as a ground on the 13, and might have been on the 14, might just be a painted over ground I didn’t notice

OP
OP
XXRJXX

XXRJXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Checked and re checked all plugs and grounds, pulled seats checked grounds, no change, checked tipm plugs, checked bcm plugs, changed positive fuses, I got nothing, very frustrating since the truck was just running, makes no sense to have a security light with a service power steering and service throttle control warning, other than having a locksmith come out and all he could say is there is no communication to the bcm and rfh module, so frustrating everything works but not start, might give in and make an appointment for the dealer, im thinking they can at least narrow the search, if not fix the problem

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wait ...security light? Do you think it could be the security system preventing it from starting? Sorry if I missed that detail in your original post.

I honestly don't know how the security system for the Ram specifically works. However, i've had to deal with a couple other vehicle security systems. I could throw out ideas, but probably best to read up on the manual. See if or how it might b preventing it from starting.

OP
OP
XXRJXX

XXRJXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So in the last week i had a tech guy that we deal with from dodge come out and hook up his software to the truck, sayes def a issue between ecu and rfh module, he sayes connection or wire issue, so pulled everything back out, checked all connectors and wiring that i could, so still no difference, not much left for options.. no ideas left to check, never had this much issues with a vehicle, crazy, ill update again after i take it to the dealer

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did yer guy indicate if the RFH needed to be coded to your truck (TIPM)? Did you have a different RFH module to try? So you checked continuity of each module wiring to the TIPM (or wherever they go?). Is there a way to bypass that module temporarily?

I give you credit ...You have a lot of patience on these things!!

OP
OP
XXRJXX

XXRJXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, figured it out, somehow there was a missing fuse in the fuse box, one fuse that controls steering, fob and throttle, honestly the first time i put everything back together and had forgot to swap rfh module and had wrong fob error, i checked all the fuses and maybe i put one back in a empty slot when checking, not to sure but all good now

MctPhoenix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I gutted the interior out of my wifes Durango a few years back for an interior redo and a fresh paint job. Couldn't get the damn thing to crank over. Couldn't believe what was keeping it from starting. The headliner harness wasn't plugged in. Go figure.