No underhood light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wfodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, I bought a pretty well optioned '22 2500 Laramie, 6.4 engine. Imagine my surprise when I opened the hood and there is no under hood light. This was not an inexpensive truck. Is Ram really that cheap? What the heck?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My guess is the chip shortage, everything else blamed on it so that's probably Ram's official excuse

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I said the same thing lol. i ordered some led light strip on a pressure release switch. works like OEM and good light output

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
If you want engine bay lighting here is a good example Engine Bay Lighting
I installed those KC lights and connected them to an Aux Switch.
I did not buy the kit, I bought only the lights and did my own wiring. Other than getting those hood insulation retainers out the installation was easy peasy.

OP
OP
W

wfodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm a bit of an electrical geek, so in one sense it's nice that I can come up with a lighting package that will suit me. But I'm still stunned that Ram cheaped out on this.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
My 2002 had 1. My 2003 did not. Both loaded Laramie's. My 2015 does. You might want to check if the harness is there? Mine is on the pass side near the hinge.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm a bit of an electrical geek, so in one sense it's nice that I can come up with a lighting package that will suit me. But I'm still stunned that Ram cheaped out on this.
Yep, that's what happens when the bean counters are making the decisions. Seems like it's happening in all the big companies in every field, their goal is to satisfy the stockholder, no longer the customer. I spent 37 years beginning with the Bell System where the customer was king and decisions were made by the line management. Retired from the after Bell System At&T where the stockholder was king and the customer was last on the bean counters list. The bean counters overruled the line management every time.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2002 had 1. My 2003 did not. Both loaded Laramie's. My 2015 does. You might want to check if the harness is there? Mine is on the pass side near the hinge.
I have MY 19, no light, and "NO" wiring harness, point available to hook in, yup, expensive truck, not need no stupid cheap unda hood light, grrrr)

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I installed those KC lights and connected them to an Aux Switch.
I did not buy the kit, I bought only the lights and did my own wiring. Other than getting those hood insulation retainers out the installation was easy peasy.
To the person who messaged me for pics
Engine Bay LED Lights-1.jpg

Engine Bay LED Lights-2.jpg

Engine Bay LED Lights-3.jpg

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I for one am glad my '17 didn't come with one. Hate paying for useless crap. I keep a Streamlight SL-20 charging in the rambox.

BluDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2008 doesn't have a light under the hood either. I can't remember now if my 2001 had one or not. Looks like something they may have done away with quite a while ago.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The factory hood lights are pretty useless anyway so I'd just go aftermarket like suggested. Then there is the fact that a lot of people these days don't even know how to check their own oil so I am sure the OEM's don't see the need for a light under the hood any more...

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2022 power wagon level 2 with extra options, On the build sheet the only thing that I was missing from a fully loaded loaded was the sun roof and the full 360 camera system.
Besides that I had everything else, so I thought.
We also have a 2021 warlock in the family.
To my surprise I got my bakflip G4 put on But a month ago and I look in the bed And there's no bed lights either!
The warlock Had the bed lights and hood light! and after much discussion with the parts manager at my local dealership, it turns out that to get the bed lights, There is a full kit That needs to be wired in, It comes with 65 zip ties to give you an example of how much wiring is involved, Then the computer needs to be flashed in order for it to think that the lights came with the truck in order to act correctly.
All in all it was over $700 to get just 2 LED lights in the bed.
I said no thanks I'll go After market.
I got a whole boat load of lights going on my power wagon in about 2 weeks once my Spod comes in.
At that time I'll be putting rock lights on and after market bed lights and upgrading the under hood lights at the same time.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I purchased a 2020 Limited and was also surprised there was no hood light. Was that an option that the sales order missed? With the MSRP of my truck at $69,320 I would have thought it would be standard equipment.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know if things are the same Gen 4 to Gen 5, but yes the under hood halogen light is useless. I did change that bulb to an LED, which is MUCH better, now I can actually use it.

It still is nothing like having a shop light, but if I'm out on the road, and need to look under the hood, it is good enough.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
2018 was the cutoff for underhood lights. My early 2018 HD Limited came with the insulation cutout for a light but no light. My fathers 2018 late model came with no light and no cutout for it. We both added the light kit from Mopar but I opted for the oem look LED. So 2018 forward does not have the option for a light. You would have to add it yourself. On 2018s down it is a simple plug in for the additionally purchased hood harness that leads to the light, then plug in the light. The plug is passenger side cowling as seen here with the red locking tab.
20220624_101913.jpg

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2018 was the cutoff for underhood lights. My early 2018 HD Limited came with the insulation cutout for a light but no light. My fathers 2018 late model came with no light and no cutout for it. We both added the light kit from Mopar but I opted for the oem look LED. So 2018 forward does not have the option for a light. You would have to add it yourself. On 2018s down it is a simple plug in for the additionally purchased hood harness that leads to the light, then plug in the light. The plug is passenger side cowling as seen here with the red locking tab.
View attachment 496106
THAT plug for light is no longer there on the 2019 DT's, at least on MY Bighorn, there is no harness/tab to plug in.

OP
OP
W

wfodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
View attachment 496106
Thanks for the conclusive answer.

OP
OP
W

wfodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
THAT plug for light is no longer there on the 2019 DT's, at least on MY Bighorn, there is no harness/tab to plug in.
Right - you probably were typing at the same time as the post above you. 2018 was the last year for even the plug.