Noise - Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeKoponick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have searched this site and found some clues, but thought I would send out a post to see if there was something more definite.

When slowing down, my 2013 5.7 4x4 sounds like a diesel. It will only last a few seconds or more. So, when I'm heading down the road at about 40MPH, I hear the noise. It will go away when I accelerate or manually change gears. My mechanic seems to think its a transmission, I'm not totally convinced yet. I have an appointment at the dealer to see what they can find next week. With only 117,000 miles on it its just getting broken in. :)

Anyone with the same issue?

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were in your position, I'd service the transmission and pay particular attention to the old fluid and filter. Metal particles and shavings would be a good tell.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My has a ticking noise and I was told to check my starter and my flex plate bolts to make sure I don’t have a crack or loose bolt. I’ll get a video for you soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JaysFan9292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have searched this site and found some clues, but thought I would send out a post to see if there was something more definite.

When slowing down, my 2013 5.7 4x4 sounds like a diesel. It will only last a few seconds or more. So, when I'm heading down the road at about 40MPH, I hear the noise. It will go away when I accelerate or manually change gears. My mechanic seems to think its a transmission, I'm not totally convinced yet. I have an appointment at the dealer to see what they can find next week. With only 117,000 miles on it its just getting broken in. :)

This issue might be your MDS making noise, mine was doing the same and a fresh oil change eliminated my problem.

BirdyHarry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Very similar issue with my 09 5.7 4x4. Let off the gas and there's a drone like grinding noise. Did some research and put it on stands; pretty sure it's my pinion bearings gone bad. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer as this is a powertrain issue and my 09 has the lifetime warranty.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What kind of noise is it? Is it a ticking noise during decel, almost like a playing card in bicycle spokes? If you turn on tow haul or put it in ERS mode does the noise go away? If so it’s likely the camshaft phaser ratcheting back and forth, only happens on decel with MDS engaged. Could have contamination in the phaser. Easiest thing to do is an oil change and see if that helps flush it out. If it’s still happening, likely have to replace the phaser and possibly the oil control valve. We just did a couple of these at work, both came from an independent shop that couldn’t figure it out.

Im a dealer tech though so some say you can’t trust me.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm a dealer tech though so some say you can’t trust me.
I'm offended by this idea...I mean if you can't trust someone who supercharges a Ram truck, who can you trust?
:-D

OP
OP
M

MikeKoponick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
OK. So one mechanic told me he was 85% sure it was the transmission, which I don't buy. Another told me he thinks its the timing chain/idler pulley. I tried turning off MDS, no dice. Any other suggestions?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
OK. So one mechanic told me he was 85% sure it was the transmission, which I don't buy. Another told me he thinks its the timing chain/idler pulley. I tried turning off MDS, no dice. Any other suggestions?

If disabling MDS didn’t help, you’re honestly best off posting a video if you can. Extremely hard to help pin point a noise without ever hearing it.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hi Mike, we're so sorry that you are having this concern with your vehicle. If you intend to have this addressed with your local dealer please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage so that we can assist you during the process.

Michelle
Ram Cares