non start. fuel relay not kicking in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markfmvl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum v6
Had the truck stall on the road after jittering. could not restart it. towed it home. acted kind of like a fuel pump , but is was replaced about 4 years ago. after we got it home and it sat for a few days. Got it started up and it ran for a few minutes took it for a test drive and it quit a a hundred yards or so from the house. replaced the coil and crankshaft sensor. but no change. checked the relays and the fuel relay was not clicking in when the key is turned on. switched the relays around. the fuel relay works in the ads position. but not in the fuel relay position. so no the relay apparently. When the key is on the fuel relay socket has voltage at two terminals. haven't been able to get the fuel pump plug unplugged to be able to check for voltage. but with the relay not engaging don't know what to do next. someone had a similar problem? where to go from here?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hay I know what's it like contact these Folks www.verticalvisions.com or 1-304-933-9391 they make a Bypass cable for the fuel pump relay, I don't think your truck has a TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) they may be able to help.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Some of the older circuits have the ground side fused so you'll see voltage, but because the ground is opened, the circuit won't complete. Maybe make a quick check of the fuse?

Also, (this might be more of a question because I'm not sure), but if the fuel system is charged to the correct pressure, doesn't the relay de-energize? Maybe make sure to release the fuel rail pressure with the schrader valve and check again to see if the fuel pump comes on. When I first turned the key to ignition (not start) in my 2000, the fuel pump would come on and pressurize the system, but after the system was at full pressure, it would shut off. Maybe your relay isn't toggling because the pressure rail is already fully charged.

Just thinking out loud here. Good luck!

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
have a 2010 fuel relay in circuit broad ! so need a set up along side fuse box to rewire fuel pump there was one once ! now dodge wont sell anyone know a place that sells it I dont want to buy a new fuse set up ! hope mine never goes !