NOT Happy with my 2019, not even at the first oil change yet! Mostly a dealer complaint...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've purchased 4 brand new RAMs in the last 10 years and I've done all my service through one dealership in Canada. Up til now I've been very happy, but things have changed. I purchased a 2019 Ram Big Horn in December and have had repeated issues with the premium LED lights. I've had THREE headlights leak and fill with water. The AC also broke on it over a month ago. The truck had less than 15,000km on it. Not even the first oil change yet!!

On July 2nd or 3rd I called and spoke with service to arrange it to be repaired. I reminded them as I always do (they know me by name) that I live 320km away (one direction!) and I'd like it if possible to have parts in stock so I don't need to make TWO trips. They assured me all would be well. My wife took time off work and our 2yr old with her to the dealer on Wed July the 3rd when the truck would be repaired. The truck was at the shop for the entire day. After which she was told "yep the AC and headlight are broken, AC we are ordering parts for, and the headlight we won't do yet because it's the THIRD one we have to ask Ram for permission...". So my wife drives home, making a total of 640km plus meals in the city with a STILL BROKEN TRUCK.

The truck hasn't even hit its first oil change yet, and I have a THIRD leaking headlight and we have to ask Ram for permission to fix it?? They don't have one in stock even though I was assured it would be in? We can't take one off a truck on the lot? The light is electrically shorted out at this point and I have no signal light and no headlight OR drl. I will get a ticket soon and the OPP (police) won't care about a dealer inventory issue. Not to mention moose on the highway at night.

On the way home she gets nailed by a transport in a construction zone kicking up rocks and SHATTERS the entire windshield. Ok.....

So she comes home and tells me what happened. I am NOT impressed so I call and speak with the service dept. They apologize and assure me the parts will be in and schedule me to come in Jul 10th to get this all rectified. I tell them to ALSO order me a windshield because now I need one of those too. They assure me they will have it all done in a day. My wife goes down LATE Tuesday night after a 13hour shift as a nurse in order to make it to the dealer for 0800hrs as requested by service. She leaves it there all day and never gets a call back. Today she calls and asks if it's ready to go and guess what?

-The AC will MAYBE be fixed by end of day today....
-The headlight is still on order
-The windshield is still on order

WHAT?!

She can't take anymore time off work. She has to work tomorrow at 0700hrs. So now she gets to drive home in the dark with a broken windshield and a broken headlight....but MAYBE the ac will be fixed?

This makes us now at 1280km of driving and we MIGHT have working AC by end of the day today. Which means to return to the city AGAIN to get my windshield and headlight done will be a total of 1920km driven!

AND I may get a ticket for the issues in the meantime or worse!

My. Truck. Has. 15,000km. On. The. Odometer.

This may be my last Ram.

THREE headlights before the first oil change??

Todd6571

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
I assume there's no other Ram dealer anywhere close to you?

mortarman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah man, you need to find a new dealership if possible.

OP
OP
Guyfromthenorth
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nearest dealership is 140km one way. They have a minimum of 1 month backlog just to diagnose let alone fix anything. Last time I went there I dropped my truck off first few days of December and they told me they wouldn't even pop the hood to look at it until end of january.

OP
OP
Guyfromthenorth
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well after a call to FCA (which did very little for me, literally the rep said to me "what do you want me to do about this.....?"), posting on the forums, and emailing the Dealership manager they did give us a Durango to take home so the truck can stay there to be fixed. It doesn't solve my time and my gas costs but it's better than the junk experience we were getting to date.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You've gone 15k km and not had your first oil change yet???

Good luck on the issues, sorry for the situation. If Ram Cares is as bad as it is here in the US, I'm not sure they will be much help in my experience.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like the service department at your dealer are a bunch of idiots. I know if I were you, I'd be fuming. It doesn't make sense to make you an appointment if the parts are not in their hands. Sorry you're having to go through this.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i made an appt to get a broken remote starter hood latch wire fixed. i could have done myself but under warranty so let them. i told the service adviser when i made the appt that i would leave the truck for 4 hours but wanted it back by 11am (dropping off at 7. 2nd appt of the morning). he says well we have to diagnose the problem. i said the problem is a broken wire. the only question is are you going to solder and heatshrink the wire or replace the harness? i'm ok either way. well, i can't tell you that. do you even have the harness or will you have to order it in so basically having to schedule 2 appts to fix it? i don't know sir we'll have to figure out what the problem is. ok sigh. but we can drop you off at work. already told you i'm around the corner. i can walk thanks. just get whatever you are doing done by 11am. that's 4 hours. and i'm not waiting all day for it. well we can't guarantee that sir. sigh. do you have a shuttle to take me home and bring me back? yes sir, we'll have a shuttle waiting for you.
like hell you will, but thanks for playing.

it's a broken fricking wire. we're not building eric clapton's next custom guitar here.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You've gone 15k km and not had your first oil change yet???

Good luck on the issues, sorry for the situation. If Ram Cares is as bad as it is here in the US, I'm not sure they will be much help in my experience.

They don't care about us enough in Canada to even have a "Ram cares".

OP, it's too bad you're so isolated. I'm in the greater Toronto area around Hamilton and we're tripping over Ram dealers out here.

First year of a new generation is always going to come with growing pains. I avoid the first year of a design change like the plague for that reason.