Now this Ev i could like.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It was a Hemi Orange 383 Magnum 4spd w/3:23s. Scary fast.
Back then in 74 at 18 I was the envy of all my friends.
The cars we wrecked in those days and lived to walk away from is hard to believe now,but back then they were easy and cheap to get. Usually there was beer involved,lol. I grew up in a fairly well to do farming community so every kid in high school had a muscle car or a brand new truck. The parking lot in alot of high schools back then looked alot like a muscle car lot,lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ah, the Dodge Polara 440 - it was knicknamed "The Black Death". Crashed it into a tree in the arboretum, guys to the hospital, nobody killed. All was good. Mostly - except for the wrecked wreck.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ah, the Dodge Polara 440 - it was knicknamed "The Black Death". Crashed it into a tree in the arboretum, guys to the hospital, nobody killed. All was good. Mostly - except for the wrecked wreck.
The cars our generation wrecked as kids,almost makes me want to cry now, :rolleyes:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
"how long do you think the average person is willing to be out in 100 plus degree heat?" is being a ****. I countered with facts.
fact huh? your familiar with the batteries used in that vehicle? you are an expert? you designed the system ? you were there for the testing? you're an engineer? our teslas survive - 40 c.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
fact huh? your familiar with the batteries used in that vehicle? you are an expert? you designed the system ? you were there for the testing? you're an engineer? our teslas survive - 40 c.
You should tell that to the couple of Edmonton Tesla owners that were on TV last winter during the cold spell,when Edmonton was seeing several days of -40+C.They might not be so inclined to think you're right,lol

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'm going to figure that few people are dune buggying around in -40C. I don't know what that is in 'muhrica, but it sounds cold.

If 300 miles is remotely approaching correct, I figure I'll be tapped out before the battery is if actually bouncing around off road.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Batteries are designed to work within a temperature range otherwise heating or cooling is required which uses the battery to maintain optimal battery temps which lowers range. Tesla specs their battery to 60-80°F otherwise heating or cooling is required. Tesla even states that extreme cold can reduce total range by up to 40%. To much heat can be worse than to cold because overheating can ruin batteries which is why cooling systems were added to teslas. If you leave your phone outside in the sun it’ll shut off as a safety because of overheating. Car batteries fail more often in hotter climates.

brascomongus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.7
The cars we wrecked in those days and lived to walk away from is hard to believe now,but back then they were easy and cheap to get. Usually there was beer involved,lol. I grew up in a fairly well to do farming community so every kid in high school had a muscle car or a brand new truck. The parking lot in alot of high schools back then looked alot like a muscle car lot,lol
This warms my heart. Still trying to supercharge my Ram.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This warms my heart. Still trying to supercharge my Ram.
Have you considered a 6.4 SRT engine instead,gives you 485 hp and 470 lb-ft. Probably cheaper in the long run,and easier to tune,plus if you buy a brand new 6.4 you get a 3 year warrenty

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm going to figure that few people are dune buggying around in -40C. I don't know what that is in 'muhrica, but it sounds cold.

If 300 miles is remotely approaching correct, I figure I'll be tapped out before the battery is if actually bouncing around off road.
-40C and -40F are the cross over point. I wasn't replying to the dune buggy part of this thread,i was replying to BCbouy who was claiming Tesla's were good at -40.I was just pointing out that a couple of Edmonton Tesla owners were on the news last winter bbitching about their Tesla's at -40+. It's not all that uncommon for Edmonton to hit -40C/-45C with windchills of -55+C in the winter,and apparently their Tesla's left a fair bit to be desired at those temps. BTW you guys south of the border really got to get with the times and join the rest of the world and start using metric,lol.

Last edited:

Ramalanche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I was thinking about using vehicles in the middle of nowhere. All vehicles need fuel, gas or diesel or electricity. In the middle of nowhere it is hard to run a pipe or drive a fuel refill semi. Seems easier to put in a solar array and batteries to refill electric off-road vs gas. That is why so many off grid homes are solar. I am not saying gas or electric vehicles are better, just saying it might be easier to put some electric “refill” stations on remote trails vs gas refill stations.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I was thinking about using vehicles in the middle of nowhere. All vehicles need fuel, gas or diesel or electricity. In the middle of nowhere it is hard to run a pipe or drive a fuel refill semi. Seems easier to put in a solar array and batteries to refill electric off-road vs gas. That is why so many off grid homes are solar. I am not saying gas or electric vehicles are better, just saying it might be easier to put some electric “refill” stations on remote trails vs gas refill stations.

The advantage to gas/diesel is the time it takes to refill a tank and the relative ease of carrying a refill.

The advantage to electric is you can make it yourself.

Jeep has rolled out a few charging stations, but on publicly accessible land you have to wonder how long before vandals and thieves ruin it for everyone.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
-40C and -40F are the cross over point. I wasn't replying to the dune buggy part of this thread,i was replying to BCbouy who was claiming Tesla's were good at -40.I was just pointing out that a couple of Edmonton Tesla owners were on the news last winter bbitching about their Tesla's at -40+. It's not all that uncommon for Edmonton to hit -40C/-45C with windchills of -55+C in the winter,and apparently their Tesla's left a fair bit to be desired at those temps. BTW you guys south of the border really got to get with the times and join the rest of the world and start using metric,lol.
Temp I can go either way, but adding up a bunch of lengths metric is way easier than adding up a bunch of fractions. Where's the darn 11/64 number on my calculator.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
how long do you think the average person is willing to be out in 100 plus degree heat?
Im kinda old sixties, but still go ATV riding in the summer, sometimes 100-105 central AZ. Just got to bring plenty of light beer and water, and know where the shady spots are. On another note how heavy would that E Manx be?
EDIT looked it up:
20 kWh battery with a 150-mile range (horsepower and torque numbers are still in the works), or a 40 kWh battery said to produce 202 hp and up to 240 lb-ft of torque, and expected to reach 300 miles of range. Those battery differences show up in curb weight as approximately 1,500 pounds and 1,650 pounds, respectively.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

I don't really find it comparable. There's methods of generating electricity that require no further input once the system is up and running. Micro-hydro and solar immediately coming to mind. To make bio-diesel you still have to source your base oil and your chemical catalysts in perpetuity. That's more burdensome than just buying diesel to begin with, and if supply lines are problematic you're making nothing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357