More EV Wintertime Fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
chri5k

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
You got that right. Heard on the news in the truck the other day that the interest on our 34 trillion national debt is about a trillion dollars per year now. Largest debtor nation on earth and I’m not proud to leave that to my kids. Most people don’t have a concept of what a trillion dollars is. Count out a trillion one dollar bills and it would take a person over 31,688 years without a break to do it but we just keep spending.
We had a friend that thought a billion dollars was 2 million, bi-million. Kind of like a bicycle has 2 wheels or cycles. So by his math a trillion dollars is 3 million, tri-million. He was a retired English teacher from NY.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
I am rural. I would hate to see my electric bill IF I had electric for heat. AS it is, my propane bill in winter is a Biotch BUT I went on a monthly budget plan so I pay same each month. Since I just started in Aug last year, pumping in more $$$ till I get the yearly amount figured out. Also run budget electric also, as U know I don't have to tell U about the temps.

AND I am old and 100% set in my ways also. WISH we had N Gas here, as be more convenient than propane, but alas, It is what it Is.

ADDED: Only draw back to N gas would be on my Genny. My 22 KW on LP produces 22 KW, but on N gas, not as efficient, only produces 19,200 KW and uses 3X the N gas vs propane to run. Hmmmmmm.
I too live in a rural community. No natural gas here either. I heat with wood, have for forty years now, when it gets cold just put more wood in the stove. I have no idea how much CO2 I have pumped into the environment, and frankly I don't care. The trees and everything green needs CO2. You ask the greenies how low is too low for CO2 in the air and you don't get an answer. It actually was approaching too low a few decades ago and now is reviving. I like plants and I also like the oxygen they produce. If the climate warms up a bit, so much the better. A bit of topic but what the heck...

IMG_20230731_110414337.jpg

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I'm for progress but I am old so I am also for keeping stuff that is still working. I'm happy with our gas furnace and we have a commercial size 6 burner gas cooktop that my wife would never want to give up.
I live on the Gulf Coast and after hurricane Katrina hit, my natural gas stove still worked. We cooked food on our stove and ran our GASOLINE generator to keep our food from spoiling the whole week we were without power. I couldn’t imagine if we would have only had an EV, would have been screwed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
HECK no, they suck. SO hence the reason I usually only USE a cycle that I can hit the MAX FILL and regardless of setting, will fill tub all the way. This economy BS of trying say to do sheets with just a minimum amount of water is soooooo stupid. Sometimes, I wish I would have just bought a Lower Economy washer, instead of the midline. Another way to get more water in tub, put in clothes, and dump like 3-4 gallons of water in and let soak in. Gives the pressure sensor a false indicator of MORE weight, so it will automatically put in more "water". Grrrrrrrr.
Damn i hadn't thought of throwing a bucket of water in before closing the lid and turning it on.Thank-you TB,i'm gonna try that idea.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Funny, aside from my truck i have a Model 3 Long Range 2022. we've had several sub 10F days and aside from the power output of the motors, it didn't affect me all that bad but then again i'm not an idiot and buy something without knowing the range affects of cold weather. I daily drive my M3LR and my wife has a 2023 Model Y Performance. Funny how the EPA says the range isn't true when I drove the brand new 2023 from Bend Oregon to Boise Idaho and the 3 times I charged it up it landed smack dab where it should have been to add up to the expected and advertised range. Either people got hosed with a "lemon" or they are smashing that accelerator everywhere and the effect is of course change in expected range at recharge.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would humbly suggest that nuclear power does produce pollution and it is really nasty and dangerous and lasts forever. There is no free lunch when it comes to energy. Every method of energy has some kind of drawbacks. They are suggestions of a small modular nuclear reactor for Alberta to power the oil sands plants. The tree huggers are already freaking out about the mining. Put a reactor up there and see what happens. Anyone who has ever been to ft Mac Murray knows that there is not much there. If it wasn’t for the plants there would be very few people up there. There will be people who say that there has been people in that area for hundreds of years and it is true just not lots of them.
Every time I see a relative pollution chart of electric producing generating plants, nuclear is always near the bottom.

It seems the biggest pollutant from nuclear power is fear.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 104849 miles.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
You must condition the battery before it can hold a charge in winter. Its an easy fix. Just crawl under your EV and massage the batteries until they are warm enough to take a charge. That's what I call a happy ending and your EV will love you too.
At my age with blue hands , that sounds like us in bed at night.
Maybe they should all have a spare in the trunk, one of those little fold up electric bikes.
I seen a couple yesterday at 1200.oo I see a few running around before winter set in.
Beats peddling up hills, but that is what H-D where made for. Or in my case ,Indian's

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At my age with blue hands , that sounds like us in bed at night.
Maybe they should all have a spare in the trunk, one of those little fold up electric bikes.
I seen a couple yesterday at 1200.oo I see a few running around before winter set in.
Beats peddling up hills, but that is what H-D where made for. Or in my case ,Indian's
Honda here. There was some news from NYC where there was an electric bike being charged short out, and surveillance showed one of the bikes lithium batteries short/blow up and burned down whole store. NOW that would concern me. YUP, Honda work fine, lol. No EV FER me.

337886109_938763160474275_2361733200592748428_n.jpg

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep seeing where they are talking Mini Nuc plants to like run towns. How about a mini for the house? LOL...
MISTER FUSION FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!! No such thing as a free lunch for anything. Unless your a politician. Then everything is paid for by the taxpayer, so, IT'S FREE.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
The technology is being developed to run vehicles on other types of fuels. Hydrogen is going to be used probably. The ev technology will have to be improved to make it viable for people who live in cold weather places. The recent cold weather is eye opening for people with electric vehicles. The don’t work worth a s”@& in the cold.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The technology is being developed to run vehicles on other types of fuels. Hydrogen is going to be used probably. The ev technology will have to be improved to make it viable for people who live in cold weather places. The recent cold weather is eye opening for people with electric vehicles. The don’t work worth a s”@& in the cold.
Yah, hey I live in Chicago, wanna see my $75,000 parking hydrant, lol. :rolleyes::33::Big Laugh:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
EV you say?!?!?!?!
LOL

Not for me!!! :rocking::rocking:

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Yeah I agree that in extreme cold environments where people can expect to see sub 30F, it may not be the wisest decision but even if in places like Southern Idaho where it's not very long of a season of weather that cold, it's still a great choice for daily driving. Now, for folks who drive longer distances all the time and don't have superchargers every 50 miles at least (or so) it's probably not too wise. Now, if you're like me and you daily drive 20 miles total in a day, I just plug in when I get home and wake up with another 80% charge and pre-condition in the winter. The biggest annoyance is the fact people do not do their own research and prepare for long term ownership. They just blindly buy a car and find out later it wasn't a wise decision. Wait, people do this with ICE vehicles too . There's no accountability for that though and reported in articles at least for Tesla. I'm no Tesla fan boy but damn I love driving them. Buying process, ownership, support, and maintenance is so easy and seemless. Sure battery replacement might be expensive. I don't keep any vehicle beyond 8 years and 120k miles though so no biggie.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I agree that in extreme cold environments where people can expect to see sub 30F, it may not be the wisest decision but even if in places like Southern Idaho where it's not very long of a season of weather that cold, it's still a great choice for daily driving. Now, for folks who drive longer distances all the time and don't have superchargers every 50 miles at least (or so) it's probably not too wise. Now, if you're like me and you daily drive 20 miles total in a day, I just plug in when I get home and wake up with another 80% charge and pre-condition in the winter. The biggest annoyance is the fact people do not do their own research and prepare for long term ownership. They just blindly buy a car and find out later it wasn't a wise decision. Wait, people do this with ICE vehicles too . There's no accountability for that though and reported in articles at least for Tesla. I'm no Tesla fan boy but damn I love driving them. Buying process, ownership, support, and maintenance is so easy and seemless. Sure battery replacement might be expensive. I don't keep any vehicle beyond 8 years and 120k miles though so no biggie.
I kinda disagree, not ref uninformed PPL, too many of them nowadays, but EV, but yer dime, yer ride, drive and enjoy. If it works for you, hey, yer bizness.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I kinda disagree, not ref uninformed PPL, too many of them nowadays, but EV, but yer dime, yer ride, drive and enjoy. If it works for you, hey, yer bizness.
Depends on where you live and the grid and whether or not it can support so many EVs. California is the place that will learn the hard way why trying to push EV ownership is a bad idea and their grids will certainly experience brown-outs. The silly hatred over a new technology, and the people on the road who drive it and decide to buy one, now that takes a certain level of ignorance. I'm a conservative and love conservative values. I never bought a Tesla to save the planet. That's dumb. I bought one because I like tech, I like the immediate torque and they're just fun. I'm also a truck guy. Love to have both. It's somehow a crazy thought for people to believe there are folks like me out here who love having a gas-guzzling, dirt ripping truck and an EV.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Depends on where you live and the grid and whether or not it can support so many EVs. California is the place that will learn the hard way why trying to push EV ownership is a bad idea and their grids will certainly experience brown-outs. The silly hatred over a new technology, and the people on the road who drive it and decide to buy one, now that takes a certain level of ignorance. I'm a conservative and love conservative values. I never bought a Tesla to save the planet. That's dumb. I bought one because I like tech, I like the immediate torque and they're just fun. I'm also a truck guy. Love to have both. It's somehow a crazy thought for people to believe there are folks like me out here who love having a gas-guzzling, dirt ripping truck and an EV.
Me too. Have two vehicles, a RAM 2500 CTD, and a Nissan Leaf (the poor man's EV). The car has a nominal 200 mile range, depending on time of year. In western Washington the temperatures rarely get to the extremes, so an EV is useful year round. We pay on average $0.13 per kWh, so an EV is economical to drive. I hardly ever charge anywhere other than home, so it is a viable vehicle for us. Very low maintenance, I did recently flush the brake lines and I think the 12 volt battery needs to be replaced soon. By the way, I just replaced the batteries in the RAM, $370 for two Interstate AGMs!! (The previous owner had replaced one, so they had a short life!)

Anyway, I am not a tree hugger although I love trees and the green, I also like CO2 because it keeps things green. I totally disagree with the government (or the elite NGOs) wanting to tell me how to live and take care of myself. I can make my own decisions (and make my own mistakes).

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Me too. Have two vehicles, a RAM 2500 CTD, and a Nissan Leaf (the poor man's EV). The car has a nominal 200 mile range, depending on time of year. In western Washington the temperatures rarely get to the extremes, so an EV is useful year round. We pay on average $0.13 per kWh, so an EV is economical to drive. I hardly ever charge anywhere other than home, so it is a viable vehicle for us. Very low maintenance, I did recently flush the brake lines and I think the 12 volt battery needs to be replaced soon. By the way, I just replaced the batteries in the RAM, $370 for two Interstate AGMs!! (The previous owner had replaced one, so they had a short life!)

Anyway, I am not a tree hugger although I love trees and the green, I also like CO2 because it keeps things green. I totally disagree with the government (or the elite NGOs) wanting to tell me how to live and take care of myself. I can make my own decisions (and make my own mistakes).
You're a great example of why having one works and works well. They shall not ever be primary transportation choice without having infrastructure to back it up but I don't think it should ever be the primary choice, regardless. I pay 8 cents per kwh so it's really a great choice for us. For my wife to doordash or lyft she's averaging $2 max in energy cost in a day. That's when she's driving 70 to 100 miles worth. From August to December when compared to a gas car getting 32 to 35 mpg, we saved $700. Hell that payed for two months of car payments. We're definitely on track to saving 5k or more in a 4 year period for sure.