More EV Wintertime Fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I kinda disagree, not ref uninformed PPL, too many of them nowadays, but EV, but yer dime, yer ride, drive and enjoy. If it works for you, hey, yer biz
Here's my problem with it. The EV approach is being forced onto our military. The Army is mandating EV upgrades across the country to the point that their end goal is to be fully electric by a certain line in the sand. They are spending millions of dollars to install EV chargers, to buy EVs in place of regular vehicles, etc... money that could likely be spent better elsewhere because it provides no benefit to the military.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The average residential electricity rate in California is 33 ¢/kWh, which is 75% higher than the national average rate of 19 ¢/kWh.

San Diego, California

SDG&E electric rates range from 12 cents to 68 cents per kWh, depending on the pricing plan, month, and time of day. The average price of electricity in San Diego was 47.7 cents per kWh as of November 2023, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, which was the highest rate of any US metro.

The bad part is, SDG&E is owned by SEMPRA
They know that if there is an EXCESS of power, from Coal, Water, Wind, Sun, etc, they have to lower the rates, so they give away excess energy, they discount it to other States.

Some of the money that we pay, is used to build Charging Stations, that most of us will never use, we are getting screewed & there is no lubricant

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Here's my problem with it. The EV approach is being forced onto our military. The Army is mandating EV upgrades across the country to the point that their end goal is to be fully electric by a certain line in the sand. They are spending millions of dollars to install EV chargers, to buy EVs in place of regular vehicles, etc... money that could likely be spent better elsewhere because it provides no benefit to the military.

US military is looking to EVs for two things, primarily. Non-tactical vehicles (all the runabout on base stuff) and scout vehicles. Scout vehicles being silent and having less heat signature is kind of a no brainer if you can get it to work.

Battery and generator tech is nowhere near ready to propel the weight of a tank or APC. Nobody thinks it is.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Depends on where you live and the grid and whether or not it can support so many EVs. California is the place that will learn the hard way why trying to push EV ownership is a bad idea and their grids will certainly experience brown-outs. The silly hatred over a new technology, and the people on the road who drive it and decide to buy one, now that takes a certain level of ignorance. I'm a conservative and love conservative values. I never bought a Tesla to save the planet. That's dumb. I bought one because I like tech, I like the immediate torque and they're just fun. I'm also a truck guy. Love to have both. It's somehow a crazy thought for people to believe there are folks like me out here who love having a gas-guzzling, dirt ripping truck and an EV.
We own a diesel pusher, diesel pickup, diesel tractor, dirt bikes and lots of other ICE motors. But we also own a hybrid (Prius Wagon). That car gets most of our miles every year. Makes good sense for us. IMO, hybrids make a hell of a lot more sense for most folks than EV's do.

But as has been said in this thread, most of us realize EV's are a great fit for some folks. It's the stupidity of our elected officials forcing them on us that is the problem. Let the market decide, get your thumb off the scales.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
We own a diesel pusher, diesel pickup, diesel tractor, dirt bikes and lots of other ICE motors. But we also own a hybrid (Prius Wagon). That car gets most of our miles every year. Makes good sense for us. IMO, hybrids make a hell of a lot more sense for most folks than EV's do.

But as has been said in this thread, most of us realize EV's are a great fit for some folks. It's the stupidity of our elected officials forcing them on us that is the problem. Let the market decide, get your thumb off the scales.
I agree with your points

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
All you EV buffs will find your own rational to own one..$700 you say..hmm....enjoy...I'll just stick to my one vehicle Warlock, Rain, Floods, Sun, or snow and -30 and keep on trucking !
My rationale is I'm not doing it for the planet. Plenty of things are killing the planet. I'm fine with whatever other people choose to own. It's their lives. I enjoy Tesla ownership. It's fun, I pay 8 cents per kwh and Idaho is above average cost in fuel. Plus I drive lyft in off time and more than pays for maintenance, insurance and fun. Fugg it.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sadly enough.... in more or less terms.
US military is looking to EVs for two things, primarily. Non-tactical vehicles (all the runabout on base stuff) and scout vehicles. Scout vehicles being silent and having less heat signature is kind of a no brainer if you can get it to work.

Battery and generator tech is nowhere near ready to propel the weight of a tank or APC. Nobody thinks it is.
There are some other initiatives being pushed as well. I'm not a fan quite honestly. I literally deal with this every day.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you own a Tesla,you'll probably want to watch this video,it's kind of enlightening.

Bunch of those stories here on the same nasty issue. And that is the number one issue for campers stored over the winter, based on the things I read in two camper forums. Would really get me more worried if everything is wire controlled.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was looking at the most recent announcement to support EVe. Tins of money to repair all the broken chargers. So companies get a boatload of cash to install, then they make a zillion dollars in fees for charging while letting them fall into disrepair, then we cover the repair bills. I gotta get me some of that.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I was looking at the most recent announcement to support EVe. Tins of money to repair all the broken chargers. So companies get a boatload of cash to install, then they make a zillion dollars in fees for charging while letting them fall into disrepair, then we cover the repair bills. I gotta get me some of that.

The same company that makes McD's ice cream machines makes EV chargers???

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep, I've been saying that for a couple of years. The smart money is chasing those .gov giveaways. And who can blame them? If they're throwing money away, it's smart to get in on it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If U get in, could U cut me in for a small %%%%%. lol. Even 1%, or .05% be great.