Obd2 bypass cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Formershaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I’m looking at adding remote unlock to my 2019 1500 tradesman classic that came with the base transponder key with no key fob, and found a way to do it in another post here, and I needed an obd2 bypass cable, I bought one and it came with just the one white connection, but I’ve seen others with the white and green connection, do I need to get a cable that has both on them or am I good with just the one? I haven’t seen anyone explain if there’s a difference and I’ve seen people use both for various things so I’m just a little confused

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m looking at adding remote unlock to my 2019 1500 tradesman classic that came with the base transponder key with no key fob, and found a way to do it in another post here, and I needed an obd2 bypass cable, I bought one and it came with just the one white connection, but I’ve seen others with the white and green connection, do I need to get a cable that has both on them or am I good with just the one? I haven’t seen anyone explain if there’s a difference and I’ve seen people use both for various things so I’m just a little confused
To the best of my knowledge the single connector bypass cables only connect to the BCM and the two connector cables connect to the BCM and the RF Hub. I would assume you would need the two connector cable as you’ll be programming key fobs in the RF Hub.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I needed an obd2 bypass cable, I bought one and it came with just the one white connection, but I’ve seen others with the white and green connection, do I need to get a cable that has both on them or am I good with just the one?
I bet @Mpgrimm2 would know the answer to this, let's see if he chimes in

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Depends on what you need to program via AlfaOBD & OBDLink MX BT adapter ... Certain modules need to be accessed via CAN-IHS bus, some via CAN-C bus... Who knows which bus that one uses, but it's definitely not both.
If it was me, I would want one that works with both like the one that @DeereGuy makes (www.Kaodtech.com) since OBDLink MX BT adapter is smart enough to switch over automatically as needed to which ever bus is called for via AlfaOBD.