Occasional Hyperflash!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
About three months ago, I finally went ahead and put LEDs in my directional/parking/brake lights. I used resistors at each corner and everything worked great for about 2+ months. Then, about 4 weeks ago, I experienced my first hyperflash on the left directional. The weird thing is that it doesn't happen all the time. Today, I had it happening, so I parked in the driveway to start investigating, but then it went back to regular flashing. It is not throwing a code or signaling a "bulb out" indication. My emergency flashers work as expected. This is on a 2012 RCSB Express.

Any thoughts before I dig in. I do have extra resistors, but before tearing things apart again, I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help!

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
What comes to mind for me is a wire isn't making good contact, so one (or more) the resistors isn't consistently pulling extra current to fool the computer.

I'd double-check all the taps and redo any you're not sure about. Sometimes with vampire taps, if you don't clamp them hard enough or a wire is misaligned when you clamp them, they won't make good contact.

Inspect the wires themselves too (the ones going to the resistors) - if any got pinched or pulled when you put everything back together, that could be goofing up its ability to pull current, and would be a potential short to boot.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Another remember was having this same problem..Not sure if he ever figured it out. Pretty weird.

I've been running leds in my 09 with resistors with no issues.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
sounds like a connection issue to me too, at least thats the only time I have ever encountered it!