Odor in engine bay and ventilation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
Cummins
My 2014 has a very bad smell in the engine bay that is getting into the cab. One of the fixes if the “engine bay or ventilation system smells sweet” (dealers words). They will replace fluid and hoses. Something with the new coolant reacting with some other chemical that’s in the system.

Hope your dealer is better then mine.
I’ve call my local dealer and they know about the problem and said there is a fix, let me get your name and number and we will call you. 4days later still no call from the dealer. So I call them and they make an appointment to bring it in the next day. I find out they will be replacing the radiator fluid and the hoses as well, But “We don’t have the hoses for the 2014. We can give you a ride home”. How long until you get hoses? “We need to call and find out” the dealer says. Well, It been 8 hrs still no call.

I will update. :insane:

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2014 has a very bad smell in the engine bay that is getting into the cab. One of the fixes if the “engine bay or ventilation system smells sweet” (dealers words). They will replace fluid and hoses. Something with the new coolant reacting with some other chemical that’s in the system.

I’ve call my local dealer and they know about the problem and said there is a fix, let me get your name and number and we will call you. 4days later still no call from the dealer. So I call them and they make an appointment to bring it in the next day. I find out they will be replacing the radiator fluid and the hoses as well, But “We don’t have the hoses for the 2014. We can give you a ride home”. How long until you get hoses? “We need to call and find out” the dealer says. Well, It been 8 hrs still no call.

:Whoa:

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had my vents blowing the other couple days and thought it smelled bad. Went away each time I put it on AC recirculation.

OP
OP
wkirk

wkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
Cummins
I had my vents blowing the other couple days and thought it smelled bad. Went away each time I put it on AC recirculation.

Now every time I come to a stop or below 20mph I have to turn on the recirculation or turn it off.

I can stand 5 feet away from the bumper and smell it.

Still no call from the dealer. :banghead:

OP
OP
wkirk

wkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
Cummins
Well its now been 4 weeks and a few days. The dealer called two days ago and said the parts will be in Feb 25th. So I dropped my truck off on the 26th. I just got a call from the dealer, they ordered the wrong the parts. They said its going to be another 3 weeks before the parts get here.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
why the hell does it take 3 weeks to get parts

OP
OP
wkirk

wkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
Cummins
why the hell does it take 3 weeks to get parts

The service dept said they are new/updated parts and the Chrysler warehouse does not have the parts. It took them 2 weeks to order the wrong parts. I don't know if this means anything but they said I'm second on the national list to get parts. I'm not holding my breath on the parts but I am when I drive truck. :banghead::emotions122:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Oder in engine bay and ventalation

That sucks annoying when you have to wait on parts.

$miley

OP
OP
wkirk

wkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
Cummins
The parts are all the rubber hoses. The service guy said "its the way the hoses were cured in the manufacturing process reacting with new style of earth friendly antifreeze"

If you have any smell take it in. They know it going to be a BIG problem.

Too me the oder is Chemical or Formaldehyde smell.

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Am I missing something here. Isn't the cooling system a closed system? If so why would the reaction of the "earth friendly antifreeze" inside the closed system allow for a noticeable odor. I am no expert, but something seems odd here.

OP
OP
wkirk

wkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
Cummins
Yes it is a closed loop. The rubber is reacting to the antifreeze and its out gassing .
I've seen this happen on some parts at my old job. But nothing to this extream.

(the rubber hoses going bad)

RSatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dead Animal Smell from Engine compartment

My 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 has a dead animal smell under the hood and it gets worse when the engine is hot.Called the dealer and they know nothing about the issue. Figures! I cannot drive it without turning the recirculation on for the climate control! The dealer wants me to bring it in so they can check it out. I am not optimistic as his attitude was really poor! I hope they do not pull the typical dealer stuff of "We don't see a problem"! The vehicle has 4,000 miles I thought it might go away after things got broken in but no such luck. I did not find any dead animals.

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If they tell you they've never heard of the problem, they are liars. The engine coolant system needs to be flushed and the hoses replaced. There are a few people with this issue. I has been topic of discussion for quite some time on another forum I frequent.

OP
OP
wkirk

wkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
Cummins
The vehicle has 4,000 miles I thought it might go away after things got broken in but no such luck. I did not find any dead animals.

YEP!
I thought the same thing. I've got 5800ish miles.

They know about it. Get it to the dealer fast so you can get in line for the parts. I'm still waiting for my hoses.

jskiifreeze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'm having a similar issue. At first I thought it was the smell of the new leather in my 2014 Long Horn, but its a little too smelly for it to be the leather.

picture.php

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
There is no official fix yet released by Chrysler, but what was attepted so far: they have to change the hoses and the overflow reservoir, flush the engine at least 3 times with Clorox. The star cases mentions " do not attempt to fix at this time unless otherwise instructed by Chrysler".
They are very well aware of the problem, however, they wont say anything about it. If the dealer says they never heard about it, they are lying, call their bluff and go open up the radior cap. They will turn around in a heartbeat.
Apprently they tracked this down to a vendor, but why the secrecy, I dont know.
There is a large thread on the ramforumz about this and there are several cases that got this fixed.

@jskiifreeze, it that deep cherry red? looks very nice ;)

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You ran over a clown car, probably a Prius and its decomposing up in your front suspension.

mrtosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is starting to smell like propane/dead rats now as well with 2100 miles on it. I've read its due to the residue of the chemical wash they give the cylinder heads interacting with the coolant and rubber hoses causing the smell. At any rate it's disgusting lol.

Retired Coastie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My 13 burned something for what seemed like 4 or 5k miles. I think it was a wrap on the exhaust; could be wrong about that. They changed a part out as a recall and had to drain the coolant. Of course they got it everywhere. I still get an odor from under the hood that is like no other truck I have ever had. Oh yeah, when it was initially burning something off, it came into the cab. It was fairly noxious, but I just chalked it up to a new truck.

rut1095

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, It has 1
I also have a burning smell from under the truck, but you can only smell it when idling.

2013 with 1k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk