Oil change indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had one with a Chrysler mini-van. Wife moved out and filed for divorce. 14 months later she call and says the van is making bad noise. I went to look at it because I'm a nice guy. Yep it clangs like a thrown rod and I see the filter has magic marker writing on it. I wrote date and mileage on it when I changed it 22,000 miles ago. Sorry bout that....
Typical women... you got the last laugh!

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you have plenty of time to get it changed. You can also simply reset it if you are worried about the dealer finding out. Running the synthetic oil that engine requires will protect you just fine. I just had my oil analyzed after 8800 miles and the report stated good to continue using. I try to stick with the OEM recommendation but sometimes you get busy and forget.... not a biggy.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Ram ecodiesel gets driven maybe 5 days a week
I take the multi lane highway, when it is possible
Time in days or weeks between oil changes has never exceeded 6 months

The oil life indicator was just wrong on this occasion

When i am working full time, there are times that i have driven enough to get 2 oil changes every 3 months
You are wasting your money.... driving more and longer is better than short trips.... but it is a free country....well maybe not so much now.....

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I don't care if somebody changes their oil every 2,000 miles or 20,000 miles. However if somebody asks my opinion I will tell them to go by the oil life indicator in the vehicle. In a previous job I performed automotive testing and saw first hand how those oil life indicators are setup. As mentioned previously it's just not some random mileage number as it uses many different parameters to calculate the number.....percent load on the engine, average RPM, temperatures, etc..... Manufacturers will run multiple new cars through test cycles and regularly pull oil samples for analysis. They then relate the oil analysis results to the operating logs of the engine, and the final oil life indicator calculation is pretty conservative. I know on my previous trucks it was very obvious the oil life indicator would come on sooner if I had spent a lot of time towing. Sure, if you drive the truck the exact same way there is a good chance the mileage will be very similar between changes, and I would also suspect they have a maximum mileage you can run before it automatically triggers the light. Believe a post above said it always comes on at 10,000 miles...wouldn't be surprised at all if it automatically came on at a maximum of 10k miles.
I've gone by the oil change indicator on every vehicle I've owned since seeing how they are programmed. I've had a Chevy 2500HD with 150k miles and a Honda Odyssey with 130k that ran fine when we traded them in, and currently have a work car with 110k on it that runs great and will continue to get oil changes when the indicator reminds me it's time.

tiennhungoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Personally I don't care if somebody changes their oil every 2,000 miles or 20,000 miles. However if somebody asks my opinion I will tell them to go by the oil life indicator in the vehicle. In a previous job I performed automotive testing and saw first hand how those oil life indicators are setup. As mentioned previously it's just not some random mileage number as it uses many different parameters to calculate the number.....percent load on the engine, average RPM, temperatures, etc..... Manufacturers will run multiple new cars through test cycles and regularly pull oil samples for analysis. They then relate the oil analysis results to the operating logs of the engine, and the final oil life indicator calculation is pretty conservative. I know on my previous trucks it was very obvious the oil life indicator would come on sooner if I had spent a lot of time towing. Sure, if you drive the truck the exact same way there is a good chance the mileage will be very similar between changes, and I would also suspect they have a maximum mileage you can run before it automatically triggers the light. Believe a post above said it always comes on at 10,000 miles...wouldn't be surprised at all if it automatically came on at a maximum of 10k miles.
I've gone by the oil change indicator on every vehicle I've owned since seeing how they are programmed. I've had a Chevy 2500HD with 150k miles and a Honda Odyssey with 130k that ran fine when we traded them in, and currently have a work car with 110k on it that runs great and will continue to get oil changes when the indicator reminds me it's time.
Very agree you. The oil life indicator is excellent technology, RAM engineer has to research so much to do it. We need to follow up if you dont want to wast your money.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Looking at the schedule below, how, for the same engine they recommend TWICE the interval for 2013+ year trucks?
Manufacturers have to supply a "maintenance cost per year" to the Feds and they all strive to have the lowest possible. How do you achieve that without costing the manufacturer? Easy, double the interval!

I don't follow the minder, and change the oil/filter @ 7-8k miles like previously recommended. Unless you're running Hotshot highway miles all day 15k is too long in my opinion.

Screenshot_20210717-082306_Google.jpg

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If the oil life indicator was that smart it should be telling me to change my oil at about 2000 miles. I run mine like I stole it and put it to the limits often just to make sure it'll still stay together. I don't baby it unless I'm going on a trip trying to get my best MPG. I feel like I stole it going by the prices they are going for today! LOL

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I don't follow the minder, and change the oil/filter @ 7-8k miles like previously recommended. Unless you're running Hotshot highway miles all day 15k is too long in my opinion.
I'm like you, I'd rather change the oil early because it's I don't think it's possible for the oil to be kept too clean.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I don't ride in dusty conditions or idle excessively (I don't do either) I change oil and filters at 5000 miles. For me oil is cheaper than metal. Also never heard of anything but the threads on the drain plug wearing out because of changing oil to much.
Add Fujomoto valve, square away drain plug threads.

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't think it's possible for engine oil to be too clean. Some people may change it much sooner than necessary but that's preferable to not changing often enough.
I am much amused by this and other threads of this kind. I run a fleet of diesel pick ups in Africa where we can neither obtain oil or filters without paying hge duties, fees and bribes; and have nowhere to dispose of the old oil except dump it on the ground, burn or export it. So for the last 20 years we have changed the oil on each truck only when some other maintenance is needed. We have had absolutely no/zero/zilch engine issues on the 16 pick up fleet over this time. Brakes, hydraulics, electrical, glass, bearings, tires, body, suspension have all failed, broken or otherwise needed attention. No engine issues.

All the trucks have over 100,000 kms, the oldest a 2012 Toyota HiLux has 700,000+ and we have replaced the injectors and the pump. It has had 3 oil changes. All with Mobil1 or Shell (coincidence because it was available) but others have had BP and Total oils too. All with synthetic and we use the factory filters because we get Toyota to import those for us.

Our experience is that the air and fuel filter replacement is way more important than oil/filter and as I wrote, the **** fuss over this number of miles/months/starts for vehicles that I am sure few will keep to their natural death (which has to be more than its current owners expect or will achieve) is frankly, just feeding money to the oil companies. Better to buy their shares than worry about this.

Fuel and Air are full of varying materials (especially in Africa) and although we clean our filters some times rather than replace them when they are unavailable, we have found that keeping these clean does prolong the MTBF of the injection components.

With that, one caveat. We did try the Ford 7.3 PSD in the late 90s and soon ran into trouble with the injection systems that depend on oil pressure to a much greater extent than our Nissans, Toyotas and Daiwoos.

I used to do the factory, feel better, thing. I sort of felt it was like getting a medical, I would go to automotive heaven because I changed the oil at this or that interval until I had to deal with the TIA phenomenon where nothing of the sort is possible or affordable. And I had misgivings but all the old hands said I was just another of the First World freakniks imposing rules that were designed for reasons other than practicality.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
As long as I have a choice I will change my oil at 5000 miles. When I don't have a choice like you are saying I will do what you are doing. Our oldest is a 1981 Mack, our newest is a 2003 Freightliner in dump trucks, our newest pickup is a 2012 Dodge Ram.

Last edited:

Govtman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my '04 Colorado i would run 15k between changes. M1 full syn or NAPA full syn and wix filters. I would change filter every 5k and top off. At 15k i replaced all 6 qts and filter. Wrecked that truck with 347k still no smoke or oil use with strong motor. Sold to friend for 500 and he repaired it and is his regular driver. Nothing buy full syn since purchased new. Mobile factory rep said synthetic does not break down like dino...it gets dirty so you really only have to keep cleaning it.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
I know everyone does what makes them feel better. Why would a manufacture offer a long 100k mile warranty and ask you to change the oil when there minder tells them to. I think if they are going to offer a 100k mile warranty, then they would make the oil minder on the short side of replacement. How much testing has gone into this so that they don't start swapping out engines because they are trashed at 50k miles. I do know someone, years ago he never changed the oil but 15-20k miles on his truck. and guess what 55k trashed the engine. Mind you this was years ago ( 15-20yr) so it think there is alot of engineering and data analysis on this issue....

having said that, i test my oil ever other oil change and run it as recommended by the data.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't disagree with technology, I truly believe oil and filters are better than they have ever been but what I have done for the past 45 years and have never blown an engine I will stick with what I've been doing for 45 years. Saving a little money on changing oil in longer intervals isn't worth it to me. I can't argue time and experience!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

Traveling and I notice I have 30 per cent oil serviceability before change required. Owners manual says when "change oil" msg comes on to change within 500 miles. Message has not come on but wondering if I understand the manual correctly, when msg comes on do I still have 500 miles before required? 2018, 2500, 6.4, 4.10 4x4

Thanks,
David in Texas
IF U R in TX, way too hot here ref temps working on the oil. Do not wait for that oil indicator. I personally have changed every 5,000 and rotate tires, but 7,500 is a decent compromise, not 10,000, heck no. NO way I would wait fer a silly electronic gizmo to tell me when to change oil, especially when it gets stupid hot here in the Lone Star Place. All IMHO.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I do not have it analized, changing it at 5000 miles I'm hoping I don't have to. As far as wasting oil it is recycled so I don't feel like I'm wasting anything but my money but it makes me feel better which has worked for me for 45 years.
100% agreed. I do my PMs every 5k miles or annually, whichever comes first. I also rotate tires every PM. Works for me, to each their own

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
IF U R in TX, way too hot here ref temps working on the oil. Do not wait for that oil indicator. I personally have changed every 5,000 and rotate tires, but 7,500 is a decent compromise, not 10,000, heck no. NO way I would wait fer a silly electronic gizmo to tell me when to change oil, especially when it gets stupid hot here in the Lone Star Place. All IMHO.
Nowhere in the owners manual does it say anything about the truck being used in a hot weather environment that plain old dino oil should not be used. There are bazillions of diesel trucks in the hot south and southwest using plain old dino oil with ZERO problems.
I guarantee you the engineers would not give us an oil change interval that was so long it would cause them to have to replace engines due to oil related failure.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nowhere in the owners manual does it say anything about the truck being used in a hot weather environment that plain old dino oil should not be used. There are bazillions of diesel trucks in the hot south and southwest using plain old dino oil with ZERO problems.
I guarantee you the engineers would not give us an oil change interval that was so long it would cause them to have to replace engines due to oil related failure.
Interesting, very Interesting (Arte Johnson). Dino vs Synthetic. There be a nice thread to read, but I neva said ne thing ref whether not to use, but BURLA the guy on oil stuff. I run synthetic on both my Truck and Bike, my preference, but all in my very very humble opinion. Everybody have a great day.

Last edited:

Tim2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l EcoDiesel
So I had a strange appearance today on the instrument cluster. Let me tell you the back story.

My oil indicator light and percentage went to 0% after only 3300 miles from the previous oil change and I was planning a 5k interval, so I triggered the reset myself, and ran through the rest of that planned 5k interval with no issues. In fact I ended up going 500 miles over the plan just waiting for an appointment at the place I wanted to use.

So I'm at my oil change appointment this morning and snap a photo just so I have the current mileage to take into the store with me. Picture taken with engine running shows the percent remaining.

20210922_072926.jpg

When I turned off the truck something strange appeared. The mileage from last reset changed from 2200 to 40,631.

20210922_074149.jpg
Actual vehicle mileage appears accurate at the below stated 15,386 at the time of the change.

My first instinct is odometer fraud, as I purchased it used with 6,000 on the odometer.
Anyone else ever seen anything of this sort?