Oil change interval with redline?

What's your oil change interval with redline?

• 5, 000miles

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • 7, 000miles

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • 10,000miles

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Awesome. Thanks! So running Redline 5W-30 in the summer, and IF I see that I am having piston slap on start up in the winter switching to Redline 0W-30 should solve that issue? Other than that I could potentially make the full time switch to Redline 5W-30?

@Burla - I see you have constantly referred to the additives and modifiers that are specific to Redline that our Hemi's seem to love. Where is this information located? Specifically from a Tech Spec Sheet from Redline? As far as other oils and finding out the same info on their blends, I assume it would be similar? Thanks for helping out a NEWB to this topic.

Anyone ever try an engine flush product prior to an oil change? Pros/Cons? I am thinking if I am getting this deep into it, I would want to start out with as clean of an engine as possible.

Whats the consensus on oil additives, like Liqui Moly MoS2 or CereTec or others like SeaFoam? Snake oil or some small benefits? Not necessary with the Redline 5W-30? I want to add as much longevity to my truck as possible with any positive preventive measures. Seems to me that a $20 bottle of some BS that may help a tiny bit is way cheaper than any major engine work. Plus with the old lady wanting me to knock her up here soon, I am not in the market to buy a new vehicle anytime soon. Lol.

I'm gonna need a break after this one :) Maybe even a nap, I'm getting old, not as old as Murph, but close.

What's your deal, do you have hemi tick? And what is your location?

0w30 might not STOP piston slap, even 0w20 might not, but it will bring lubrication there faster. Piston slap has to do with cold metal and the metal shrinks in the cold and creates the situation. The thing ram forum has found out is that 5w30 redline seams to be an antagonist in the cold, and 0w30 redline is better. That info was started this year with Justin and Corey leading the way. My opinion, hemi tick is the main worry, attempt to kill piston slap as well but not at the expense of warm idle tick. Every engine is different, and it may take resources $$ to find the answer. There are moves to make if you go thin to deal with piston slap and have warm idle tick, if that situation happens PM me.

UOA's and VOA's see blackstone thread show the additives in redline, conversations with redline when redline used to answer those questions gave us much of the knowledge. I hate that redline is the only choice personally, but I'm glad they exist. As in an oil company that sells a high moly, high zddp, pao/ester based oil at a reasonable price, and although their levels are higher then the api will allow, they don't go overboard with them like some applications such as racing require. Rather then getting into the minutia, I like to think of redline as just the choice after the over the counter stuff failed to get that tick out. And as proven here with a high success rate, certainly it is least something with tick should try once just to see if it kills tick. With long term uoa's, we have proven it is very possible that engines with ticks that have high wear numbers, when you kill that tick, long term wear numbers go down dramatically in the engines like hemi395's and others.

Additives, I think most people are correctly skeptical about additives. But you have to judge each one by itself, some additives just give you more the right type of moly and esters that it is possible ticks will be killed, amazon reviews tell the story. Also, tbn boosters have some use in guys that may be too busy to change their oil. But there are very few additives worth it, if you have questions about specific additives post question in syn thread. It is very rare I would recommend a flush, a better way to clean an engine is make sure your pcv is operating right and fresh high detergent oil.

5w30 redline is hemi honey, hard to think you can make that better. If it fails to kill hemi tick, we would need to discuss next move, so generally we don't like to add anything to redline.

So let us know more so we can help you sleep good at night so you can knock up your old lady, how many miles on ram? It's a 2015? What have you been using for oil now? Read the filter thread in my sig, filter is as important as oil.

unscientific thread m0s2 versus lubegard. There is some interesting info including the last video.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question......

these threads get so long and I’m confused honestly lol.

I live in a place that gets hot in the summer (upper 80s to 100).

and it’s gets cold in the winter (upper 20s but mostly 30s for the low) in winter.

I have a 5.7 hemi. Can one oil work good year-round? Or should I switch to something different based on temps?

looking in regard to switching over to Redline.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Question......

and it’s gets cold in the winter (upper 20s but mostly 30s for the low) in winter.

I have a 5.7 hemi. Can one oil work good year-round? Or should I switch to something different based on temps?

Have to follow what the truck tells you, I would try and stick with 0w30.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Question......

I run 5w30 year around, gets to 100s here and down to -15s or so with no problems.
Used to run 10w30 all the time.