Hemi Tick Redline Oil Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeastyBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2013 1500 5.7 started ticking around 150k miles and popped 7th cyl misfire code. Trying to avoid the $5k+ lifter job I tried using 5W30 redline oil and 10-48 RP filters based on advice from one of the threads on here (no idea where I found it, I just googled sorry!). Most people seemed to see the tick disappear between 0-500 miles, but at 500 miles mine was still loud as hell. I was about to give up and just take it into the shop then around 650 miles it stopped! So I have a couple questions for y’all. 1- temps were nice (50 degrees+) when it stopped, but temps have been below freezing recently, so could that make a difference? I’ve seen some using 0W30. 2- anyone have long term success with this or is it more of a bandaid for an inevitable lifter job?

I’m new here so don’t come for me if I posted this in the wrong place please

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm happy to hear what appears to be another RL success story. But the misfire code is not a good sign. That usually means the lifter is so shot that it doesn't lift high enough for proper combustion or exhaust. Personally I suspect it's too late now (due to the misfires) to run around with just RL, I'd get it pulled apart before shavings start hitting your engine at which point many builders (including Ram if it was under warranty) would say your entire engine is toast because they can't guarantee to flush all the shavings out of it.

Without the misfire, yes many here have run RL for long periods of time without the ticking come back. "bandaid" vs "fix" is immaterial, as long as your engine doesn't get worse it doesn't matter what we call it.

OP
OP
BeastyBB

BeastyBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@ramffml thanks. I did reset the code when it stopped ticking and it hasn’t popped again yet but I’ve only gone about 50 miles on it since resetting. If it pops again I think you’re right

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The plating effect of redline is between 500-1700 miles even one case was 2300. Some ticks provide more pressure then others, EP additives need that pressure to plate. Lesser ticks take either lonnger to plate, or go quiet right away. It is trucks like yours and mine that take medium time to plate, my guess you had a good tick going on. It isnt a bandaid, it is an absolute fix proven by 100's of ram that killed tick and never needed a cam knock wood, plus the paper posted on the metalurgy and the experts opinion on the fix. Sad part, you waited til there was a misfire, maybe it didn't tick that long? Like the others said, you will likely only get that after the lob is wiped. You can remove the cover and watch the travel on that valve versus other valves, see if it indeed not lifting. Yeah, I colorado for sure 0w30 would have been the way to go in winter, we have good results with that as well, too late now. As long as there arent any issues, stick with 5w30. My truck was the first fixed with redline reported on the board, now year 12 so long term success yes. Many other original redline fixed rams rolling around here as well, too many to count. That 10-48 filter is junk, and now the rp 20-820's are back in stock, if I were you I'd order a couple. If your cam lob is wiped, you are playing with house money, I wouldnt go putting my foot in the pedal a lot, or even think about towing. I am very curious to see how long you can make it last, good luck partner.

OP
OP
BeastyBB

BeastyBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Burla thank you! The tick and misfire code occurred simultaneously which surprised me because I already had it parked for over a month to fix the manifold (different tick lol) then started it up after replacing the manifold and totally new issue. I kept it parked until I changed the oil/filter and was nervous even putting the miles on it to get plating so def wasn’t trying to push her.

WackoJacko67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2013 1500 5.7 started ticking around 150k miles and popped 7th cyl misfire code. Trying to avoid the $5k+ lifter job I tried using 5W30 redline oil and 10-48 RP filters based on advice from one of the threads on here (no idea where I found it, I just googled sorry!). Most people seemed to see the tick disappear between 0-500 miles, but at 500 miles mine was still loud as hell. I was about to give up and just take it into the shop then around 650 miles it stopped! So I have a couple questions for y’all. 1- temps were nice (50 degrees+) when it stopped, but temps have been below freezing recently, so could that make a difference? I’ve seen some using 0W30. 2- anyone have long term success with this or is it more of a bandaid for an inevitable lifter job?

I’m new here so don’t come for me if I posted this in the wrong place please

WackoJacko67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys, I’m new to this forum as a member but always referred to it when it was needed. I felt compelled to finally join as member because I have something to finally add.

I have a 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn with approximately 145K and unfortunately I also had the dreaded Hemi Tick. Using this forum I discovered Redline 5w30 and gave it a shot. Wow! Totally impressed!! I was ready to still hear that annoying tap, squeak, chirp sound or however you wanna describe it but after using Redline the sound was gone. I thought I would at least have to drive it for about 500 miles to let the oil “plate” but I didn’t have to. The sound disappeared right away and now that I’ve been driving her for almost a couple of weeks I think the engine even sounds better! Like the engine is running even quieter and smoother. Hopefully it will last? Oh, I also used a WIX WP Filter and have been disabling the MDS with the gear buttons on the steering wheel. I believe that may of helped? Take a listen to the videos. The first video is that annoying tick/ chirp sound. The second video is the next morning after driving it about 30 miles. If you’re having a similar sound try Redline 5w30. It’s worth a shot!

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I’m new to this forum as a member but always referred to it when it was needed. I felt compelled to finally join as member because I have something to finally add.

I have a 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn with approximately 145K and unfortunately I also had the dreaded Hemi Tick. Using this forum I discovered Redline 5w30 and gave it a shot. Wow! Totally impressed!! I was ready to still hear that annoying tap, squeak, chirp sound or however you wanna describe it but after using Redline the sound was gone. I thought I would at least have to drive it for about 500 miles to let the oil “plate” but I didn’t have to. The sound disappeared right away and now that I’ve been driving her for almost a couple of weeks I think the engine even sounds better! Like the engine is running even quieter and smoother. Hopefully it will last? Oh, I also used a WIX WP Filter and have been disabling the MDS with the gear buttons on the steering wheel. I believe that may of helped? Take a listen to the videos. The first video is that annoying tick/ chirp sound. The second video is the next morning after driving it about 30 miles. If you’re having a similar sound try Redline 5w30. It’s worth a shot!

Welcome, and glad to hear your Hemi is running smooth with RL. I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in, but you should try using RP 20-820 filter with RL. Also, your videos didn't post either.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Good to hear another success story, if the tick comes back mark the mileage on the interval and how long the truck sat, keep us updated. My tick has been 99% gone for 13 years, when it came back there was always a reason that we figured out and fixed.