Oil Cooler for 4th gen 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evan Younger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does anyone have any information on installing an oil cooler for a 4th gen 5.7? Planning on adding cam, and heads, just trying to cover the bases.

Thanks, Evan.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
does anyone have any information on installing an oil cooler for a 4th gen 5.7? Planning on adding cam, and heads, just trying to cover the bases.

Thanks, Evan.

If you run a 160 to 180 thermostat and relocate your filter to where it gets a bit of air,your oil temps should run between 185 and 195 at most.With a 170 T-stat and relocated filter,my 14 runs about 190 at sustained speeds of 80+ mph on a 85F day. I'd do the filter relocation first and if you think you need more,then look into adding a cooler to the mix.If you add a cooler,you'll also want some sort of thermostat inline with it.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-thermostats/high-flow-engine-oil-cooler-thermostat-p-212.html

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you run a 160 to 180 thermostat and relocate your filter to where it gets a bit of air,your oil temps should run between 185 and 195 at most.With a 170 T-stat and relocated filter,my 14 runs about 190 at sustained speeds of 80+ mph on a 85F day. I'd do the filter relocation first and if you think you need more,then look into adding a cooler to the mix.If you add a cooler,you'll also want some sort of thermostat inline with it.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-thermostats/high-flow-engine-oil-cooler-thermostat-p-212.html

Even just a high airflow grill with the 180 and a 20-820 will tank the oil temp. I've gotta push mine hard to get them over 200 most days. I imagine here in a few months when we get into hotter than hell weather it might be a little warmer, but unless I'm towing or having way too much fun they're pretty close to yours. I was actually going to play with the idea of the cooler/thermostat/relocation, but with the current temps I'm feeling lazy about messing with it. I guess if they ever get much higher than 215 towing in summer I'll grab one of these and fool with it otherwise I feel like its a wasted endeavor.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-c...n-oil-filter-mount-with-thermostat-p-781.html

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone try deleting the oil heater piece? Or at least cap off the lines so the coolant doesn’t run through it? If you’re confused look above the oil filter. There is a piece sandwiched between the filter and block with coolant lines running through it. Not sure how much it helps cooling/heating the oil

Billyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram 1500
Engine
Anyone try deleting the oil heater piece? Or at least cap off the lines so the coolant doesn’t run through it? If you’re confused look above the oil filter. There is a piece sandwiched between the filter and block with coolant lines running through it. Not sure how much it helps cooling/heating the oil
i was wondering what that does. does it cool the oil or heat it?
my 2017 has one. my 15 did not. i dont know what option that its part of but my 17 also came with a trailer brake. my 15 without the (heater or cooler), had a sleeve on the lower rad hose. i do believe it can be removed or added. sorry to hijack the post. it does making sliding out the oil filter tougher.

Billyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram 1500
Engine
i think i found what it is.
its called the "police package oil cooler."
how did that option end up on my truck?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It heats it while cold and is supposed to help it stay cooler I guess when warmed up. There’s multiple models of this actually. I’m assuming depending on features of the truck. Not sure if 2wd and 4wd would be the same. Or if the older angled filter mount would work if the cooler was removed