Oil filter help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geer hed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I read on here somewhere that guys recommended using a certain oil filter on the 4.7 engines. but I cant seem to find the thread I read it on, I tried multiple searches with no luck.

If I remember correct it was recommended to use a Royal Purple filter.

Is this correct let me know, and if so what is the difference compared to a WIX, or NAPA filter ? I'm asking cause I may want to switch all my vehicles if these are better for some reason.

Thanks.

87thHunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you actually sit down and look there are not very many filter company's. Royal purple does not have a factory making there filters.
Basically there is Champ (fram) Wix and Baldwin. Yes there are others, but the ones I've generally came across they are the most "popular"
Wix and "fram" seem to be the biggest ones company's use and relabel. Personally, Baldwin is my fav. on heavy duty stuff anyways. Baldwin will have 10 filters for 8 tractors/heavy duty equipment. Wix will make 2 filters for the 10 . Baldwin actually matches OEM specs. Wix figures if it threads on and seals its good enough. They seem though to at least build them to higher than OEM standards. But that does not mean for every application.

Change your oil often, that's the key. Cheap filter every 3000-3500 is what i do and what ive been told for my 5.7l.

Changing oil and filter more often wont hurt you. Not changing it enough will in the long run.

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought this was pretty interesting

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This guy compares more filters, about the same outcome.

Last edited:

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, just watched that first video. That is crazy. I'll admit I've used them and never had any issues.. haha. I know my dad used those for over 30 years, far back as I can remember. We've never had an issues with any of our vehicles.

But I'll stick to WIX! :)