Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wix XP, and Wix in general have taken a lot of guff at Bob's, that is all I know. There is a large discrepancy between micron rating and actual efficiency that I know of over there. If I am buying a filter, I would chose the filter that is double in thickness every time. Royal Purple filters haven't really been discussed a lot over there, and there certainly isn't a large user group for them there. Fram Ultra rules the roost, and it is a pretty good choice. If you ask me the Hemi application requires a very clean running engine and a thick film as far as oil choice, so we have been hyper sensitive and **** to finding the perfect combo for our Trucks. Most people never have to worry about this stuff.

I would say Wix XP is a great choice for a filter, top 4 easy no matter what, way better then any paper. But why when you still can get RP filters? Whatever

I like the RP specs. I don’t however like the 10-48. It seems like the upper end of the ADBV blocks a good 30-40% of the inlet holes. Seems like a $hit design.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wix XP, and Wix in general have taken a lot of guff at Bob's, that is all I know. There is a large discrepancy between micron rating and actual efficiency that I know of over there. If I am buying a filter, I would chose the filter that is double in thickness every time. Royal Purple filters haven't really been discussed a lot over there, and there certainly isn't a large user group for them there. Fram Ultra rules the roost, and it is a pretty good choice. If you ask me the Hemi application requires a very clean running engine and a thick film as far as oil choice, so we have been hyper sensitive and **** to finding the perfect combo for our Trucks. Most people never have to worry about this stuff.

I would say Wix XP is a great choice for a filter, top 4 easy no matter what, way better then any paper. But why when you still can get RP filters? Whatever
This is just my opinion but I think the reason more people don't use or know about RP filters is that they're not on the store shelves, at least around here anyways. Around here we have Fram, Bosch, Mobil1, Wix, Purolator, K&N, Napa. Other than that you have to order from somewhere.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The simple answer would be a little more filter media and a little more oil capacity. Now if that is a bennifit for you that's up to you to decide. If you are racing, pulling, or hauling alot I can see it being a bennifit, but in my opinion under normal circumstances the 10-48 would be just fine. When Burla wakes up he can probably give you alot more technical advice, this is just my simple opinion.

Yea I assumed the larger oil capacity would be good but didn’t know if our engines needed that like the designers undersized the factory oil filter or something along those lines. I’m just trying to figure out the best route with this truck because i plan on keeping it a while. I’m running redline oil and want to change my oil every 7500 miles or maybe 10000 if you guys that are knowledgeable think it’s safe to go that long so I want a good filter that’ll hold up that long as well. From what I’ve read I’ve learned a lot from you guys and you all seem to know your ****, so I value your feedback!

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think 10,000 is pretty safe. I have done two uoa's in a ticking (well now non ticking) hemi and both UOA's suggest there is much more life in the oil. I don't really think there is much difference between the 2 filters, but I would probably buy the large one if it fitted, and it seams to be the case although one guy had an issue. I just need to know if the rubber rings on the two filters match up equally.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Burla, I’m going to line up the rubber seals and measure on my next attempt to install a fresh new 20-820 and report back here....

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a heads up everyone, I had a leaking problem on my 2016 with the RP 20-820 even after double checking the seal and cleaning the seal
surfaces and tightening as tight as I could by hand, installed an RP 10-48 and no more leak. I'm just hoping maybe it was a defective filter as
I'd really like to try the 20-820 out for awhile. Is there anyone on here with a 2015 or 2016 that has had 0 issues using the RP 20-820??
I’m running the 20-820. No issues. Did you make sure the filter seat was clean. The 20-820 has a larger gasket by about 1/8”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Everyone says yes, but if you are concerned just get the 10-48. If I had a newer hemi I would likely just get the 10-48. Even one or two guys having an issue is enough for me to say just stick with the 10-48? One guy had a problem, another says the gasket size is different, I say 10-48.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m running the 20-820. No issues. Did you make sure the filter seat was clean. The 20-820 has a larger gasket by about 1/8”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure did, but I'm going to clean it again and try a brand new 20-820. If it leaks again I'm going to stick with the 10-48.....

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I haven't seen how big the 20-820 is, but my 2017 limited and both my sister and my downstairs tenant have 2017 sports. They came with the tiny filters from the factory, but the larger mopar ones from my 2011 fit on them fine and according to my dealer cross over. I'm going to wix XP now because I got a good deal on a case and 4 hemis I change the oil on.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The RP 20-820 is the same size as the larger Mopar filter

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a shot in the dark here but in an extreme case of torquing up you're engine could the engine roll enough that the large filter would hit something? I have no idea if this could happen but I know things are pretty close down there.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just a shot in the dark here but in an extreme case of torquing up you're engine could the engine roll enough that the large filter would hit something? I have no idea if this could happen but I know things are pretty close down there.

I used to run the bigger RP filter,before I relocated my filter,and I never had any issues with it touching any part of the truck even at the dragstrip on drag radials,and hitting the truck with nitrous on launch.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to run the bigger RP filter,before I relocated my filter,and I never had any issues with it touching any part of the truck even at the dragstrip on drag radials,and hitting the truck with nitrous on launch.
That's cool, I was just trying to think of possible answers for them going to the small filter. I know it's pretty tight down there with my 2wd, didn't know if anything else might be in the way on a 4wd.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's cool, I was just trying to think of possible answers for them going to the small filter. I know it's pretty tight down there with my 2wd, didn't know if anything else might be in the way on a 4wd.

If I had to guess,my guess would be because there's an economic benefit for FCA,lol. Mines a lowered 4X4 ,the motor does have a fair bit of movement though,as you observed,but in my in my experiences,not quite enough to ever have the bigger filter contact anything.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I had to guess,my guess would be because there's an economic benefit for FCA,lol. Mines a lowered 4X4 ,the motor does have a fair bit of movement though,as you observed,but in my in my experiences,not quite enough to ever have the bigger filter contact anything.
You're probably right. It's either economic or just the fact of stocking 1 filter instead of 2. I just found it interesting that the 2.4 in my old journey used the same filter as my 5.7.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
New software didn't let me add this to front page, but for Cummins owners this filter is really really well built.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I feel like this filter made by microGreen may have been discussed before, most likely on another thread. Interesting for sure. Looks like cellulose/syn blend main filter and probably full syn for the second, "fine stage" filter.

This two-stage stainless cleanable, rebuildable, reusable filter made by Hubb is also intriguing. Looks like it was crowd-funded in '14 and is now in production. The one for the Hemi is around $80~100.

Anyone using either of these?