Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel like this filter made by microGreen may have been discussed before, most likely on another thread. Interesting for sure. Looks like cellulose/syn blend main filter and probably full syn for the second, "fine stage" filter.

This two-stage stainless cleanable, rebuildable, reusable filter made by Hubb is also intriguing. Looks like it was crowd-funded in '14 and is now in production. The one for the Hemi is around $80~100.

Anyone using either of these?
I'm not using either one but the micro green sounds interesting, kinda sounds like the one they were talking about for the Cummins. The other one puzzles me, I don't see how it could increase flow 5 times. Wouldn't you're bearings and stuff have to be worn out to do that? You can only replace the oil that has made the trip thru you're engine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't know why we would want to discuss toonie chick filter's in this fine thread.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know why we would want to discuss toonie chick filter's in this fine thread.
Well they do make one of those micro green ones for a hemi. Oh, I get it, if it's not a RP filter we can't talk about it.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well they do make one of those micro green ones for a hemi. Oh, I get it, if it's not a RP filter we can't talk about it.

I didn't say we can't talk about them, I asked why we want to.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't say we can't talk about them, I asked why we want to.
Basically because the technology is out there, not that it's good, bad, or indifferent, just a new product. I didn't know about the diesel filters you guys were talking about, and really didn't care as I don't own a diesel, however found it interesting because I'd never heard of a dual filter in one unit before.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
What in THE hell is a toonie chick?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
lighten up alice it is was a joke. lot of stuff makes sense that didn't before today.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
There was an article on them in which someone asked them about the pink color. They had a batch painted pink for breast cancer awareness that just so happened to coincide with a photo shoot.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That concept on a huge diesel filter I can understand. However on a small filter for our Hemi's or cars I would think the 2.5 micron area would get clogged up pretty quick makeing it more just like a regular filter.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't care if fools want to paint their entire truck pink for some activist stuff, it aint going on my truck.

bypass filters are huge, so you can mitigate the flow, same as that diesel filter. As for the pink ones, again not synthetic and I feel you would be sacrificing flow and media volume to accommodate the inner workings of that filter. To each his own, but I will be staying put with the RP's, not really a tough call for me.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think the conversation was ever intended to say that they were good filters, just that it was something on the market. But, every new product has to start somewhere, they don't come outa the gate as the best thing in the world. Maybe 5,10 years from now they will have glass media and all the good stuff and be the bee's knees.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even synthetic oil had its issues in its infancy. It took the chemists and blenders making adjustments to their formulas and the manufactures coming up with new and improved gaskets and seals so we see the advantages today.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I think the microGreen would be a great option if you used it from the start on a new motor. However, I think you're right in saying the fine 2 micron bypass would clog in short order "IF" it were on a motor that has never had that fine of filtration.

Possibly with a few short OCIs it would help clean up a new-er motor, but I wouldn't use it on any motor with say 30k+ miles.

More interesting to me is the Hubb filter. It is constructed similar to many aircraft hydraulic system filters. It uses differential pressure valves instead of pressure relief valves. Huge difference in operation and flow vs conventional. The biggest difference in this vs conventional though, is that it never actually "bypasses", so there is never unfiltered oil returning to the motor.

The amount of claimed flow refers to the filter's capability, as in on a test bench. In reality, it cannot flow more than the pump can provide. Basically, this setup will "always" filter the oil while cold & thick, and while running hard vs bypassing as all conventional filters do. As with anything, there are limits. If you don't maintain it properly, it will clog up like any other filter.

K&N and other companies make reusable filters, but they work on the same principle as disposable filters.

oliverwoodworker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
looking to do first oil change on my 18' 5.7 and i would like to know if someone has the royal purple filter part number? i think there is a regular and larger filter, i am looking for the large filter. Going with redline 5w-30 right from the start. I am only at 1600 miles. figured i would change at 2000 and again in 2000 for break in. any help is appreciated.
thanks Kenny

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
20-820 = large RP filter 10-48 small one

If you are gonna do a 2k mile flush change (real good idea IMO), I wouldn't run redline or a RP filter, just use m1 and a paper filter for a short run, or even a conventional oil. I think m1 is on costco deal right now, but even super tech at walmart would be good for that short run.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RP 20-820 Is the larger one
RP 10-48 is the smaller one

Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk