Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Wix XP is a little cheaper. I've run both Wix XP and RP filters and cut both open. Both have very similar media and ADBVs, the Wix has a coil spring at the bottom as opposed to a leaf spring fwiw. Both are great filters, I'd run whichever one you could get cheaper.

The video I posted shows this.
Using Any of these filters shown is a smart/wise choice. (For the **** maintenance owner).
Your normal/everyday owner won’t give 2 $hits.
I would even throw the M1 filter in the mix as well.

SyN Disclaimer: This is only MY personal opinion!

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've got 10 wix XP filters sitting in my garage right now so I guess that's what I'll be using for a while. Good to know it's a quality filter.

Your motor will never know the difference.
It’s just very good piece of mind.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Wix XP is a little cheaper. I've run both Wix XP and RP filters and cut both open. Both have very similar media and ADBVs, the Wix has a coil spring at the bottom as opposed to a leaf spring fwiw. Both are great filters, I'd run whichever one you could get cheaper.

Thanks for the info! That's good to know.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok: Reason I ask is I have 3 of the RP 10-48 that I would send you. (Ones that I purchased for my 2014 5.7L that I never used).
I'd be interested in those. The smaller ones are much easier to take off without making a mess...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
:)

I STILL make a mess, I have yet to "not spill a drop". But, I'm a slob in real life.....
Lol ok it's just easier [emoji16]. I use the filter glove and the 10-48 fits better in it that the 20-820 plus it leaves more room for the excess oil. I made a huge mess taking the 20-820 off last oil change

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'd be interested in those. The smaller ones are much easier to take off without making a mess...

Kewl! PM your info & my next days off I will attempt to get them shipped to ya.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a heads up everyone, I had a leaking problem on my 2016 with the RP 20-820 even after double checking the seal and cleaning the seal
surfaces and tightening as tight as I could by hand, installed an RP 10-48 and no more leak. I'm just hoping maybe it was a defective filter as
I'd really like to try the 20-820 out for awhile. Is there anyone on here with a 2015 or 2016 that has had 0 issues using the RP 20-820??

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So there are two leak points on any filter, the lip, and the seal. So neither would be model related, unless the seal is different sizing. So has anyone put the rubber rings of the two next to each other? I don't know the answer as I have only used the bigger filter, but my guess would be you had a faulty filter as opposed to it being related to the 20-820. If the seal correctly buts up again the plate, and the lip doesn't leak, how could any filter leak?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

I suggest everyone watch Syn's video, of note is the thickness of the media between the Wix XP and the RP, it is exactly like my video of two filters. The wix xp are tightly woven thin pleats, and the RP is looser and much thicker. When you hold the two in your hand, you can tell the difference. My hypothesis was that RP was better due to this feature, and some folks where say'n maybe that would allow more contamination through, but now that we have the test of this thread to back it up, just goes to show the thick spun microglass just doesn't let anything through and as an added benefit fosters full fast flow.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

The video I posted shows this.
Using Any of these filters shown is a smart/wise choice. (For the **** maintenance owner).
Your normal/everyday owner won’t give 2 $hits.
I would even throw the M1 filter in the mix as well.

SyN Disclaimer: This is only MY personal opinion!

Has there been any updated beta testing on the XP? Last time the data was released it was rated at 50% @ 20 microns. The FU is 99%.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has there been any updated beta testing on the XP? Last time the data was released it was rated at 50% @ 20 microns. The FU is 99%.

I would love to see the current efficiency ratings on the Wix XP

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might be a dumb question but what’s the benefit of running the 20-820 vs the 10-48?
The simple answer would be a little more filter media and a little more oil capacity. Now if that is a bennifit for you that's up to you to decide. If you are racing, pulling, or hauling alot I can see it being a bennifit, but in my opinion under normal circumstances the 10-48 would be just fine. When Burla wakes up he can probably give you alot more technical advice, this is just my simple opinion.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its like Ramnewbie said, larger capacity and more media. I've ran both filters on my truck and I see no difference in filtration or oil flow between the two filters. However on extended drain intervals I would probably go with the larger filter just because there is more media surface area. I'm pretty convinced they only reason FCA went with the smaller size filter is to cut costs.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wix XP, and Wix in general have taken a lot of guff at Bob's, that is all I know. There is a large discrepancy between micron rating and actual efficiency that I know of over there. If I am buying a filter, I would chose the filter that is double in thickness every time. Royal Purple filters haven't really been discussed a lot over there, and there certainly isn't a large user group for them there. Fram Ultra rules the roost, and it is a pretty good choice. If you ask me the Hemi application requires a very clean running engine and a thick film as far as oil choice, so we have been hyper sensitive and **** to finding the perfect combo for our Trucks. Most people never have to worry about this stuff.

I would say Wix XP is a great choice for a filter, top 4 easy no matter what, way better then any paper. But why when you still can get RP filters? Whatever