Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm still banned, so I cant help you there :)

I don't remember that - I thought your political skills allowed you to operate there?

I was the one who got banned last year after being denigrated by one of their know it alls.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't remember that - I thought your political skills allowed you to operate there?

I was the one who got banned last year after being denigrated by one of their know it alls.
I'm the worst sort, the mods and "respected members" brand loyalties are so ingrained they literally make stuff up to not acknowledge the result. That is what happens these days, silence descent, "don't challenge me I know better". It's their credibility that was lost, and I'm sure they are ok with that.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Back to the discussion what would be better thick loose media like rp, or thin tight media like wix xp, there is apparantly some evidence at bitog suggesting the tight stuff can rip...

dapepper9

If y’all like the old Fram and the RP filters, look into the new Microguard Select from Oreillys. Having delved far enough into ISO testing and filter opening videos as well as opening a few myself, I stick to the MGS K&Ngold RP/Amsoil and FramUltra. At that level of product the only real world difference you’ll see is pricing and the MGS generally takes the cake on it.

Those that like Wix/Bosch might do a little research on them on BITOG. My opinion they’re fine for older engines that don’t run the same level of pressure modern engines do but I’ve seen far too many that when cut open reveal that the filter media has been torn and not only not filtering but introducing extra debris into the oil system. Motorcraft has had problems with this as well

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thick and loose for sure. And that's why RP costs more. It does it all, including durability and reliability.

As for redesigned Fram, I am intrigued with their "dual layer" synthetic media - if it means what I think it means. it would be a progressively finer mesh for more dirt holding capacity. Obviously the coarser layer is the outer layer. With a dedicated fine inner layer, it could perhaps be stiff enough to serve in place of a metal screen against collapse.

My house water sediment filter is constructed this way, as is the engine air filter on my UTV. So, perhaps it is a cost wash for Fram to eliminate the metal screen and replace with dual media layers, gaining finer filtration and more contaminant capacity.

I wrote back to Fram and basically asked WTF is with their marketing on this, and explained why we thought they went to half paper media.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thick and loose for sure. And that's why RP costs more. It does it all, including durability and reliability.

As for redesigned Fram, I am intrigued with their "dual layer" synthetic media - if it means what I think it means. it would be a progressively finer mesh for more dirt holding capacity. Obviously the coarser layer is the outer layer. With a dedicated fine inner layer, it could perhaps be stiff enough to serve in place of a metal screen against collapse.

My house water sediment filter is constructed this way, as is the engine air filter on my UTV. So, perhaps it is a cost wash for Fram to eliminate the metal screen and replace with dual media layers, gaining finer filtration and more contaminant capacity.

I wrote back to Fram and basically asked WTF is with their marketing on this, and explained why we thought they went to half paper media.
Please post when U get the reply and yer thoughts. Nothing BOIRD hates more than "BS" marketing that is not proven. YUP, buy that Air Filter and increase yer HP by 50, LOL. (example purposes only) :anitoof:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Please post when U get the reply and yer thoughts. Nothing BOIRD hates more than "BS" marketing that is not proven. YUP, buy that Air Filter and increase yer HP by 50, LOL. (example purposes only) :anitoof:

??? Scroll up to see Fram's reply to my inquiry, BOIRD.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
??? Scroll up to see Fram's reply to my inquiry, BOIRD.
WHEN I read it, I thought U were going to write back ref their reply. Turkeys not the smartest BOIRD, just stubborn (SGT YORK MOVIE)

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I use royal purple 10-48 filter and briefly saw someone mention somewhere a bit back that they use a larger filter for some benefits, maybe it was an SRT filter? Hoping someone can just give me a quick recap rather than having to read 87 pages of this thread lol

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hey guys, I use royal purple 10-48 filter and briefly saw someone mention somewhere a bit back that they use a larger filter for some benefits, maybe it was an SRT filter? Hoping someone can just give me a quick recap rather than having to read 87 pages of this thread lol
you can use 20-820 which is the larger rp oil filter, srt is now paper, no good. pass on mopar filters imo

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I am gonna go with the Microguard Select 57060 from O'Reillys instead of the Mopar that dealer uses. I still have my Dealership do changes right now, not feel like crawling unda truck. Might get down there, and neva get back up, LOL.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Members -

I sent an email to Fram inquiring about their re-designed XG Ultra Oil Filter. Below is the response. Thoughts?

View attachment 476990

Ok, I wrote back and explained why Fram's announcement of "new & improved" XG Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter misled us. Below is my letter:
1637262954740.png

Today I received a response. The Fram guy insists their "new & improved" XG Ultra oil filter remains ALL SYNTHETIC MEDIA, and still made in USA. That's all I know - don't challenge me, this is from the Fram guy - NOT ME!

1637263110852.png

Attachments

• 1637263073232.png
    1637263073232.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The second "synthetic" layer made it strong enough to omit the metal screen, well the last one had two synthetic layers as well, what changed about this "second" layer? My question, do they add binders to it now? They would never get this info out, it is up to someone to test it. I will get one for the wife car and test it this summer, maybe someone can do it sooner.

Thanks for doing all this Hemimann.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The second "synthetic" layer made it strong enough to omit the metal screen, well the last one had two synthetic layers as well, what changed about this "second" layer? My question, do they add binders to it now? They would never get this info out, it is up to someone to test it. I will get one for the wife car and test it this summer, maybe someone can do it sooner.

Thanks for doing all this Hemimann.

No, the Fram guy claims the original media had only a single layer of synthetic media, all of one material, which required the metal mesh screen. Don't know if this is true or not.

Again, I'd guess their revised media has a dual density layer, like many airfilters do these days - a coarser outer layer, finer inner layer, that provides longer life via segregating the particulate holding layers. And supposedly, the finer inner layer is stiff enough to not collapse.

So, only the inner layer would be 99% @ 20 micron. The outer layer would be the "rock catcher".

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, that's not true, lol. They were even two colors, maybe not I forget to be honest.

You can put stiffeners in air filters, it doesnt get heat cycles with hot oil in it that changes the filtering ability.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Someone posted this, Ill post it again.

They have a yellow second layer 7 minute mark, which is usually paper, why use that color?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here is a serious question, how do they make those layers stick together so good? Binders? I have a lot of questions at this point.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
End of November I am planning change my oil&filter with the new design Fram ultra synthetic,but it gona be end of Jun or even later when I will have the new filter in hand and see,thanks to HEMIMANN for a good work and info from Fram