Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Did they test what is the point when cellulose turns into carb board from heat cycles? We know spun microglass will outlast any oil, I'm not sure the reason to consider paper unless you are on a less then 3 mos interval with less then 3k miles. Every paper filter I took off my ram from transmission to engine oil filter the media was simply stiff as a board, even at 5k miles.

Let's face it the information age is dead, the search for the perfect products is long dead. The PR and Marketing arms of everything from the gov't to the car manu's, it is in none of their interest in keeping engines running smoothly and lasting a long time. Until I see an unbiased test similar to the GM test that also includes lifespans of media and testing all available filters including the best ones made, then I'm not impressed. Flow rates is a good feature, but they couldnt even do that right by omitting filters that we know are full flow. I will stick with what we know about the longevity, flow, and quality of the work we have done after reading the GM test. It is sad that ram forum guys can put motor trend to shame with our process, you would think motor trend could do better, but who are they beholding too?

Why, of course they did!

Durability is their primary purpose - not who wins the quarter mile! :laughing1:

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Just to update your post for those interested... Thanks!

"Handy database.

Database's filter capacity is stated in displacement - is not the filter area, only the canister volume. If you equate a rough correlation between canister volume and filter area, the Royal Purple filters are as follows:
10-48 = 28.21 cu. in. standard size
20-500 = 37.95 cu. in. oversize length +34% volume
20-820 = 45.60 cu. in. oversize diameter +62% volume
EDIT:
Fram XG10060 = 23.54 cu. in. -16.5% less volume!!!

So yes, 20-820 provides the biggest canister, but 20-500 provides the exact match fit to the engine interface and gives 1/3 more volume, so I think I'll just try that for minimal problems."

NOTE: I changed my oil yesterday and tried the Royal Purple 20-500 and it DOES NOT FIT 5TH GEN. The filter is too long and hits the steering assembly directly below.
I ran to Autozone in the wifes car and picked up a Mobil 1 to use for this OCI.
Ill go back to the RP 20-820 in the future since I know it works.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
NOTE: I changed my oil yesterday and tried the Royal Purple 20-500 and it DOES NOT FIT 5TH GEN. The filter is too long and hits the steering assembly directly below.
thanks for update, I was worried about that just from what I heard about the 5 gens and space there.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Sorry about that - who'da thunk they'd mess around with something like that? And yet in my Gen whatever heavy duty (heavy duty rollouts lagged light duty rollouts) it's the RP 20-820 that won't fit, and the RP 20-500 does.

More signs of incompetent engineering management. We wouldn't be caught dead using unique parts at our factory due to lack of cross-product line integration. We had modular product lines. This is soooo stupid.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Riddle me this. Higher micron = more filtration. More filtration = more resistance. More resistance = more pressure. More pressure = more bypass through valve. More bypass = less filtration.

At the end of the day, what was the product (engine) designed to operate with? How many people have seen the lifter/cam issues were running an aftermarket filter? Possibly inducing the failure due to dirty oil due to bypass of higher micron level?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Many assumptions there, have you tried a mopar filter against one of the filters mentioned and seen an increase in psi?

A much better strategy to use a low efficient filter that is glued and in less then 3k miles it is in bypass all the time? Last paper filter I took off my truck will be the last paper filter I ever take off my truck, stiffer then card board, there was no filtering going on there. 2 year oci with RP, the media was like brand new, not a very hard choice imo.

Even when both filters are working their best, which one would you rather have? same magnification one paper one synthetic.

9632-png%2fimages%2fglass_vs_cellulose-resized-600.png

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Good read:​

AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter Temporarily Not Recommended for Select Ram and GM Applications​

March 4, 2021 - Announcement

AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter Temporarily Not Recommended for Select Ram and GM Applications
We are no longer recommending the AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter for 2007-2013 GM vehicles with the 5.3L engine and 2013-current Ram vehicles with the 5.7L or 6.4L engines. There is no cause for alarm if you or one of your customers is using the EA15K50 Filter with one of the listed vehicles; we are acting out of an abundance of caution. We have sold thousands of AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filters to customers with one of the GM or Ram engines listed above. A very small percentage of those customers have reported gauges or check-engine lights indicating slightly lower than normal oil pressure.

Our industry-leading high-efficiency media removes more particles of smaller sizes than most competing filters to better prevent engine wear. In the GM and Ram applications listed, the EA15K50 Filter is capturing a large number of deposits and reaching its holding capacity before the end of its recommended service life in a small number of instances. This can result in reduced flow and overall oil pressure, but in no way harms the engine. AMSOIL Oil Filters include a bypass relief valve to ensure appropriate oil volume is always delivered to critical components.

Rather than cause some customers unnecessary concern, we are recommending the WIX 57060 or Donaldson P550794 in place of the EA15K50 in 2007-2013 GM 5.3L engines and 2013-current Ram 5.7L and 6.4L engines. They are high-quality filters, but will not capture as many small particles as the AMSOIL Oil Filter does, and they are designed for shorter service intervals.

Watch the Dealer Zone for updates. If you have questions, contact Technical Services at [email protected] or (715) 399-TECH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter Temporarily Not Recommended for Select Ram and GM Applications​

AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter Temporarily Not Recommended for Select Ram and GM Applications
We are no longer recommending the AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter for 2007-2013 GM vehicles with the 5.3L engine and 2013-current Ram vehicles with the 5.7L or 6.4L engines. There is no cause for alarm if you or one of your customers is using the EA15K50 Filter with one of the listed vehicles; we are acting out of an abundance of caution. We have sold thousands of AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filters to customers with one of the GM or Ram engines listed above. A very small percentage of those customers have reported gauges or check-engine lights indicating slightly lower than normal oil pressure.

Our industry-leading high-efficiency media removes more particles of smaller sizes than most competing filters to better prevent engine wear. In the GM and Ram applications listed, the EA15K50 Filter is capturing a large number of deposits and reaching its holding capacity before the end of its recommended service life in a small number of instances. This can result in reduced flow and overall oil pressure, but in no way harms the engine. AMSOIL Oil Filters include a bypass relief valve to ensure appropriate oil volume is always delivered to critical components.

Rather than cause some customers unnecessary concern, we are recommending the WIX 57060 or Donaldson P550794 in place of the EA15K50 in 2007-2013 GM 5.3L engines and 2013-current Ram 5.7L and 6.4L engines. They are high-quality filters, but will not capture as many small particles as the AMSOIL Oil Filter does, and they are designed for shorter service intervals.

Watch the Dealer Zone for updates. If you have questions, contact Technical Services at [email protected] or (715) 399-TECH.
So now more efficient is less psi?

Does anyone know what filter this EA15K50 is a clone to in RP?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Or............a bigger Royal Purple Filter! LOL 20-500, 20-820

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So now more efficient is less psi?

Does anyone know what filter this EA15K50 is a clone to

Well yeah, if it clogs and goes into bypass, no?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have cut open filters even at 14 mos, 18 mos, 24 mos, and never seen anything even close to a clog or any appreciable contamination, neither paper or synthetic. I also have never seen crunched up media that looks like it was vacuumed, that you see all the time with cellulose filters. UOAs back it up as well. Does anyone have a picture of a hemi filter that was clogged?

EAO11 is rp 20-820 and the most popular filter here and never heard any issues with either.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s simple physic’s. Respect to Amsoil for identifying and notifying customers of issues.

Theres TSB’s from a lot of manufactures about using aftermarket filters. All you have to do is look for it.

I would like to know for everyone that has had cam/lifter issues, how many were running aftermarket filters.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It’s simple physic’s. Respect to Amsoil for identifying and notifying customers of issues.

Theres TSB’s from a lot of manufactures about using aftermarket filters. All you have to do is look for it.

I would like to know for everyone that has had cam/lifter issues, how many were running aftermarket filters.
I have no idea, if you would like info on that, maybe post a thread in engine and performance section and ask, "If you had a cam failure what oil filter were you using." I'm not sure you would ever get any info on that in this thread, but plenty of cam fails in a new thread I would bet you will get some info. poll is something else to consider.

What is an aftermarket filter, anything not mopar?

You first post didnt jive with your second, I'm not sure what you are saying the issue is, low psi or high psi? You riddle theory didnt match the amsoil recall post.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How do you know when your filter is being bypassed; do you see lower/higher than normal psi's?

I had to swap out my RP 20-820 because it was making a horrid startup rattle for 2 seconds on a second cold start after short trips. Only thing I could get immediately in store was a Fram XG so I swapped it in, will only use it for the next 3 months until oil is changed. My previous RP 10-48 gave me startup rattle at the very end of the oil change last Oct as well.

But my psi's using the Fram are pretty high. I'm seeing 41+ idling at operating temps (210F) and 51 at 210F while driving. Very first cold start of the morning at well below freezing, closer to 60 psi. I'm running RL 0W-30, but replaced the lost oil with almost a quart of RL 5W-30.

But no startup rattle anymore.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not sure it matters because when the filter is in bypass it is saving your engine unless there is a faulty bypass. If you want to experiment try a few different filters and note psi difference when cold. As for the amsoil thing, it is due to low psi not high psi, which maybe there is something we are missing somewhere.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Would you be worried with those PSI's I'm seeing? Should I order another RP asap or just ride the fram until my next oil change (in spring)?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
How do you know when your filter is being bypassed; do you see lower/higher than normal psi's?

I had to swap out my RP 20-820 because it was making a horrid startup rattle for 2 seconds on a second cold start after short trips. Only thing I could get immediately in store was a Fram XG so I swapped it in, will only use it for the next 3 months until oil is changed. My previous RP 10-48 gave me startup rattle at the very end of the oil change last Oct as well.

But my psi's using the Fram are pretty high. I'm seeing 41+ idling at operating temps (210F) and 51 at 210F while driving. Very first cold start of the morning at well below freezing, closer to 60 psi. I'm running RL 0W-30, but replaced the lost oil with almost a quart of RL 5W-30.

But no startup rattle anymore.
HEMI VVT 5.7 with MDS uses oil because of cylinder deactivation at RPM increase while in ECO mode but from my experience no more than 1/2 a quart at around 3 months.
If you drive more with the MDS in ECO mode I would suspect you could theoretically use more oil
I use RP 5/20 with a K&N silver.