Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Im glad my theory worked, my guess was heavy silicone wont dry out, what I wasnt sure on was compatibility, but silicone is a pretty inert. I'm not sure what else wouldnt have dried out by now. Maybe the rubber would still be good without lube, don't know, but this also worked. I know some of these filters will be stored 25 years and I still expect them to work, lol.
yeah, that's a really good point. Of those 6 to 7 filters per store in my case, how long have the f*u*c*k*e*r*s been there

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
When I forgot to order an oil filter to go with my winter oil change, I went to the nearest Wally World. Their oil filter stock is really hit & miss these days, and their websites aren't current like they used to be.

Last-in-time ain't makin' it.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
yeah, that's a really good point. Of those 6 to 7 filters per store in my case, how long have the f*u*c*k*e*r*s been there
another thing about that magic lube, it holds under pressure. My o ring leaks if that is not slopped on, when it is slopped on the seal lasts for over a year. I bet this stuff would hold back a minor leak. now pool psi is lower then in an engine, but maybe worth a try.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My plan is to use some silicone spray on the o-rings, then drop the filters into a ziplock with some desiccant packs and seal them up and back in the box. My vacuum sealer is in storage otherwise they'd get bagged and vacuumed.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would check those in a couple years, and maybe do one first for a couple weeks and then check it make sure rubber wont wipe off. If the propellant is the spray is harsh, it can ruin the rubber. It might not be an issue, but then again it might, thus is why I went with heavy silicone with no solvents or propellants.

look at the end of this video

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well k&n is now in part synthetic choices? Sadly, they don't post anything compared to the leaders in spun glass so I don't know how you will choice.

K&N engine oil filters are designed with advanced synthetic fibers, and are available for different types of cars, trucks, off-road vehicles, motorcycles, and watercraft. K&N filters are engineered to meet or exceed OEM requirements, and rigorously tested for efficiency, capacity, and burst strength.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
but it would be great to get another player because right now we have so few options?
Of course. Maybe guys are quitting K&N for poor filtration so they finally reinvested after decades of milking the same old crap.
I'll look when I get home.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
"K&N engine oil filters are designed with advanced synthetic fibers, and are available for different types of cars, trucks, off-road vehicles, motorcycles, and watercraft. K&N filters are engineered to meet or exceed OEM requirements, and rigorously tested for efficiency, capacity, and burst strength."

Imo, that's the sales pitch for all oil filter brands.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
we need some guys to run them and cut them open before I'd even think about saying ok for long interval. Unless we get some clarification on the media.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
K&N says nothing about oil filter media beyond "synthetic blend" and 99% efficiency without a micron size. Still a snake oil place, to me.

• Designed to allow high flow rates and a consistent flow of oil to your engine
  • Pleated synthetic-blend filtration media removes most harmful contaminants
  • Fast and easy Wrench-Off® removal using the welded one-inch hex nut
  • High capacity to withstand the service intervals recommended by vehicle manufacturers
  • Heavy-duty canister for outstanding durability
  • Laboratory tested to ensure excellent capacity, efficiency, and mechanical strength
  • Designed to operate with all synthetic, conventional, and blended motor oils
  • 1-Year Limited Warranty

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is a little disappointing they don't put the extra effort into it, it's almsot like the filter industry is just waiting for any company to make incredible filters and market all of the features and stick to it. Royal Purple we must admit did a good job at all of that, sadly the dummies cant keep them in stock. The top spot is empty and just waiting for someone to fill it proudly. Their marketing and pr people should be fired, why would the word blend be the damn marketing, dumbist **** ever KN.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is a little disappointing they don't put the extra effort into it, it's almsot like the filter industry is just waiting for any company to make incredible filters and market all of the features and stick to it. Royal Purple we must admit did a good job at all of that, sadly the dummies cant keep them in stock. The top spot is empty and just waiting for someone to fill it proudly. Their marketing and pr people should be fired, why would the word blend be the damn marketing, dumbist **** ever KN.
If you look on page 1, the top two contenders are Royal Purple and Amsoil filters, both made by Champ labs using synthetic material and considered clones. The third spot is held by the Fram XG full synthetic media. Next two spots are Mobil 1 and K&N, both made by Champ labs at that time. Both of the test results look identical. We know that Mobil 1 is a "blend" and posted the filtering specs. Is it safe to conclude that these two filters are clones like the Royal Purple and Amsoil filters? If they are indeed clones, one can conclude that the media is the same?

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm sure I'm asking an old question here but I'm new to this and didn't want to scroll 164 pages of replies... lol

I recently bought a 2009 1500 with a 5.7 and a slight tick, going to do an oil change over to redline 5w30 of course, is this a good filter to use? https://www.amazon.com/XG2-Ultra-Synthetic-Spin-Filter/dp/B000C2ZKG0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=I5JILYSP2LTQ&keywords=fram+ultra+synthetic+oil+filter&qid=1671418774&s=automotive&sprefix=fram+ultra+oil++,automotive,164&sr=1-1&vehicle=2009-40-2760-296---6--9049-2663-1-1-1185--9&vehicleName=2009+Dodge+Ram+1500&th=1
Great filter