Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Imo, they both are about the same. One having a larger diameter case(FRAM ULTRA XG2) versus the (FRAM Ultra 10575)and are almost identical in heighth with the exception of the XG2 has a wire back media and the XG10575 doesn't.

If the XG2 is performing well for you then you have found your filter.

Some folks are going to those filters as an temporary replacement oil filter until the stock on the Royal Purple 20-820 becomes available.
It's honestly hard to tell how it's performing. I mean the oil i'm using is about to get changed back to RL 5w30 because i tried Mobil 1 5w20 and Lubeguard. What I don't like is that there's occasionally some tapping sounds at first start up for maybe 2-3 seconds. Doesn't sound like E Man leak or anything and it didn't do that on 5w30 RL so we will see how 5w30 RL and XG2 together do. I did like the RP 20-820 and RL together but that 20-820 filter seal sprung a leak and it was plenty tight.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Even the ol' and mighty Royal Purple 20-820 isn't omitted from having at least one faulty oil filter ... maybe QC was asleep when your filter made it into the box?

Imo, 5w/20 any brand oil is too thin for a "finicky hemi" and I most definitely will not use that anymore.

If the Red Line 5w/30 was working to keep your HEMI from rattling then maybe that's a lesson learned. I've used the Red Line 5w/30 and RP 20-820 combo on my HEMI'S two prior oci's with great results.

I'm currently using Red Line 5w/30 (3rd oci). I have an AMSOIL EAO11 oil filter on this oci and It's too early to tell if my HEMI likes this combo.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Search for my canister area comparison in this thread. The goal is to use the largest area that physically fits your truck. We have found sometimes these largest filters, RP 20-820 and Fram Ultra XG2 do not fit some truck configurations, or there isn't enough space to access the filter spud.
I know these 2 biggest filters don't fit in my truck.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Fwiw, on my 2017 5.7 HEMI the Royal Purple 20-500 won't fit due to the length of that filter.

The frame support for the engine doesn't allow enough clearance to thread the filter on.

The RP-820 and similar aftermarket sized compared to the oem MO-O899 fit good. But are tricky to maneuver up and into place "loaded" with oil without spilling and a pain in the tail to remove without creating a mess.

I'm still seriously looking at purchasing an oil filter relocation kit, then the size of the oil filter won't matter ...

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does anyone know if the XG10575 filter is a better choice than the XG2? the XG2 is much larger, but seems that the XG10575 has larger holes. I know that has been discussed before but wanted to know if there's really any difference. Well, the XG2 only has like 1k miles on it so I'm definitely not removing it to find out. Just curious.
if it fits, any way you look at it the xg2 is a top 3 choice if not a top 1 choice. I am waiting any day now for that to go out of stock, lol. yeah not funny

8 bucks I'd buy a few and store them indoors.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
if it fits, any way you look at it the xg2 is a top 3 choice if not a top 1 choice. I am waiting any day now for that to go out of stock, lol. yeah not funny

Where I reside the FRAM Ultra XG2 sits undisturbed on the Walmart shelf with a little dust on top.

One is missing from the shelf because I purchased it ...maybe I'm the only one around here in this part of the world that knows a little something about an oil filter?

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Search for my canister area comparison in this thread. The goal is to use the largest area that physically fits your truck. We have found sometimes these largest filters, RP 20-820 and Fram Ultra XG2 do not fit some truck configurations, or there isn't enough space to access the filter spud.
I know these 2 biggest filters don't fit in my truck.
shoot, i will count my blessings that the XG2 fits but not without some F-15 tight space-like nonsense lol.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s

8 bucks I'd buy a few and store them indoors.
When storing these, what should someone put on the seal to prevent it from failing like my 20-820 did? btw, i bought that from Royal Purple Direct and immediately installed it the day i received it. 3k miles later, i was pretty annoyed that happened.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
When storing these, what should someone put on the seal to prevent it from failing like my 20-820 did? btw, i bought that from Royal Purple Direct and immediately installed it the day i received it. 3k miles later, i was pretty annoyed that happened.

A cool dry place.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Where I reside the FRAM Ultra XG2 sits undisturbed on the Walmart shelf with a little dust on top.

One is missing from the shelf because I purchased it ...maybe I'm the only one around here in this part of the world that knows a little something about an oil filter?
I guess they cant overcome the orange can of death days.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
so there is a butt plate and a thread, so can you tell me more how can the seal fail? Even if it is warped, wouldnt tightening it fix it? Did you take that filter off? was it leaking badly? seal was torn or ripped? There is a known issue with filter housing on rams, some of them leak from plate area or thread loosening, I cant figure how any filter seal can leak.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I guess they cant overcome the orange can of death days.
NGL, i was a little hesitant at first to get the XG2 because of that. So you don't recommend putting any kind of oil on the seal and enclosing it in a bag or something to avoid dry rot on the rubber oil filter gasket?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I use heavy silicone magic lube for spas, the stuff don't dry out as in ever.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just checked mine fyi, they have been stored more then 5 years at this point, seal is in perfect condition still wet and tacky, no compatibility issue with rubber seal.

OIP.jpg

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Im glad my theory worked, my guess was heavy silicone wont dry out, what I wasnt sure on was compatibility, but silicone is a pretty inert. I'm not sure what else wouldnt have dried out by now. Maybe the rubber would still be good without lube, don't know, but this also worked. I know some of these filters will be stored 25 years and I still expect them to work, lol.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well between 7 different Walmarts within a 20 mile radius there are 40+ XG2 filters :head3:
you guys are no fun, lol.

6 bucks magic lube.

You have to use pumice to get this off your hands, that or use desposable gloves. Dawn wash simply wont take this stuff off your hands. There is a million uses for this stuff.