Oil loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xcaliber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
Starting to notice a trend that as I'm due for an oil change its down about a liter. 95000 kms still has warranty however I do my own oil changes, I believe that is still allowed correct? Interwebs says this could be normal idk.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Anything about a quart every 3-4 miles is ok, more then that there could be an issue. Wouldn't hurt to get a used oil analysis to check the health of the engine. Thicker oils with lower noacks can slow this, at 95k miles I would not use 20 weight as soon as your warranty is done. move up to 5w30 at least, maybe 0w30 you being in cold place.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
just hit 20k kms on my new 21 hemi and no oil consumption yet. but I broke her in real good, something which I think is often skipped.
my 06 hemi pretty much consumed the same amout the whole time I owned it (140 - 300k kms)
at 5k in the oil change was down a liter and at 8 down another liter. at that point I would either give it another liter to get to 10k or change it. but the oil was black as night and would get light valvetrain noise at that point. thats when I started reading here and I realized I was going too long on my oil changes.

so I would say thats quite normal consumption. You are already doing good with 5k intervals, you could try a different brand of oil and definitely go to 5w30 or 0w30 or 5w40 euro if you are on the 5w20 now. I tried alot of brands and viscosities on my 06 and finally settled on pennzoil european oils because of the lowest consumption and valvetrain noise. also readily accessible and on sale often at Canadian tire (5w40 and 0w30 in my stash)

hope this helps!