Oil pressure gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New2dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Just bought an 03 ram and every time I start it the oil pressure gauge doesn’t move and check gauges light come on. If I shut the truck off and restart it works fine. Any answers to that?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Hook up a real analog pressure gauge to the engine and see whether the issue is:

A- no or low oil pressure. Such as an air leak on the oil pickup. If there’s actually no pressure, I’d expect to hear some rattling or clattering from internals.

B- bad oil pressure sensor, poor electrical connection, or other fault in the electrical system.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
My money is on electrical. But would still follow travelin Ram's suggestion and check it manually. Nothing worse than spun bearings that could have been prevented.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I vote oil pressure sensor.Mine was easy,right above the oil filter.idk where it lives in the 4.7.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Install a permanent mechanical oil pressure gauge .

OP
OP
N

New2dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Appreciate the reply’s. I’ll be checking it out this weekend

rodnocker1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002/2007
Engine
4.7/6.7
My 2002 4.7 Oil Pressure had always stayed dead in the Middle of the Operating Range until About a year or so ago, Then it started to drop to zero suddenly, then come right back up. On some days, it might do it multiple times right in a row and other times, it wouldn't do it at all. I wrote it off as an electrical issue. Now, it's been staying in the middle of the range (pressure good when started) but then it goes to nothing when warms up and it gets below 1,000 RPM. The last time I ran it, it dropped to zero but didn't come back up for 30 seconds or more. I was about 10 miles from home, so I turned around and headed back home (it was about 1:30 in the morning and I figured if it's gonna crater, better to have it closer to the house, since I'd have to go about an hour away to get my Son's car Hauler). I've got it parked right now but am getting a new sending unit and want to put a mechanical gauge on it also. While these gauges with an Operating Range are just barely better than the "Idiot Lights" that used to be in vehicles back when I started driving in the early '70's, nothing beats a GOOD Mechanical Gauge
FWIW, It now has 299,700 miles on it and I've always changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or so (I was taught Oil and Filters are cheaper than an Engine, although that may not be true any longer, LOL!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357