Oil pressure varying….concerned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I would guess that most every manufacturer has issues now and again. My son-in- law bought a used 2010 silverado with 46,000 miles. The cam and lifters went out before 60,000…but at least the drive train warranty covered it.
You've had better then a week,have you done anything to rectify your oil pressure situation yet?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Perhaps a definition of "prone" is in order, but Honda, like other manufacturers, is not exempt from having camshaft issues. Although I only know personally of two of these, the Honda bulletin addresses a known problem on some engines:

Warranty Extension: 2017-18 CR-V: DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, or P0172; Whirling Noise from Engine (nhtsa.gov)

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 064994 miles.
There was a story where a friend at a Honda dealership was working on a warranty issue that involved a crankshaft that left the factory without drilled oil holes it lasted two years and around 30,000 miles.

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You've had better then a week,have you done anything to rectify your oil pressure situation yet?
I posted this yesterday:
U P D A T E > > > > >

Well, the low oil pressure issue seems to be finally fixed, I guess.

I decided that I was going to go back to the factory recommendation for oil and use a Mopar 339 filter....I opted for Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 this time, just to reset everything.

Also, I replaced the oil pressure sensor with a Mopar OEM unit for $38.00.

I changed the sensor while I had drained the oil and installed the new filter. Topped it off with 7 quarts of Pennzoil and fired it up. Immediately the oil pressure went to 55 psi...never saw that before.

Took it for a long drive (10 miles) both city and interstate. Seems that everything has reverted back to what it was when I bought the truck. Oil pressure at warm idle varies between 26 and 28 psi. On the hiway at 70-75 mph, the pressure generally rode at 48 psi, and occasionally dropped to 47, or jumped to 50 based on the terrain...goofy.

Anyway, it's all better than the 39 psi I was getting at 75 mph but not as good as some folks say they get....50+

As I was runni9ng Royal Purple 5w30 and a Royal Purple filter, I do believe the culprit was the pressure sensor. It seems that over time the engine heat interferes with the accuracy of the sensor....the brass nut on the sensor was actually green. Doing some research, it appears that the pressure sensor going bad is not that uncommon, according to the local dealer who was actually out of them and they were on back order.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I posted this yesterday:
U P D A T E > > > > >

I decided that I was going to go back to the factory recommendation for oil and use a Mopar 339 filter....I opted for Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 this time, just to reset everything.

I changed the sensor while I had drained the oil and installed the new filter. Topped it off with 7 quarts of Pennzoil and fired it up. Immediately the oil pressure went to 55 psi...never saw that before.

Took it for a long drive (10 miles) both city and interstate. Seems that everything has reverted back to what it was when I bought the truck. Oil pressure at warm idle varies between 26 and 28 psi. On the hiway at 70-75 mph, the pressure generally rode at 48 psi, and occasionally dropped to 47, or jumped to 50 based on the terrain...goofy.

Anyway, it's all better than the 39 psi I was getting at 75 mph but not as good as some folks say they get....50+

As I was runni9ng Royal Purple 5w30 and a Royal Purple filter, I do believe the culprit was the pressure sensor. It seems that over time the engine heat interferes with the accuracy of the sensor....the brass nut on the sensor was actually green. Doing some research, it appears that the pressure sensor going bad is not that uncommon, according to the local dealer who was actually out of them and they were on back order.
You could re-install the old sensor and see if it was the issue,they're easy to change.If it was the sensor,putting the old one back in,will confirm whether it was your issue or not,and then you'd actually know.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I posted this yesterday:
U P D A T E > > > > >

Seems electrical connectors located by the front of an engine bay always suffer the worst.
I’ve seen Chrysler provide weather shielding on some of their better production years and completely neglect the same shielding on following years.
Which is probably the fault of corner cutting pencil pushers,
Thanks for the update and the reminder.

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I have never noticed mine drop. I have a 2019 Classic with the 5.7