Oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been doing some research on the improved racing filter relocation. They use -10orb fitting instead of the transdapt 1/2”npt fittings. And have an optional -12an fitting setup. I’m debating on doing that with mine if anyone wants to purchase my transdapt setup cheap used. You’ll need new hoses. Fittings are reusable. I’ll be going back to a stock 22x1.5 filter setup over the 3/4-16 filter setup.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to get my oil changed and bought 5 qtrs. Mobil 1 75000 mile full synthetic oil, and a quart of extended performance synthetic oil. I thought that I could have the best of both worlds, but the technician told me they aren't allowed to mix oil types, which I can understand but also stated that mixing different oils can destroy your engine. I was wondering if anyone knows the facts about this and whether the technician was right. I can understand mixing different SAE ratings or mixing synthetic and non-synthetic oils, but mixing two of the same brand, same SAE rating oils that just have different additives? Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Also, a little off topic, I have a 2014 ram 1500, 5.7L. I strictly use Mobil 1 full synthetic brand engine oil. Are there any better brands? Or rather, is there really any difference between Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil etc.?

Thanks!
Unless you’re a chemical engineer specializing in lubricants, just buy a correct specified oil and use it in consonance with a good quality filter. Mix and match probably waste of time. I do lab analysis every 50 k and use on sale OEM spec synthetic oils, 5 k oil changes, and the additive packages are always only about 35-40% used at that point, no degradation. Works for me. 5.7 Hemi, 2016, working north of 100 k trouble free miles.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Unless you’re a chemical engineer specializing in lubricants, just buy a correct specified oil and use it in consonance with a good quality filter. Mix and match probably waste of time. I do lab analysis every 50 k and use on sale OEM spec synthetic oils, 5 k oil changes, and the additive packages are always only about 35-40% used at that point, no degradation. Works for me. 5.7 Hemi, 2016, working north of 100 k trouble free miles.

Best you read up on Hemi lifter and cam failures before making boilerplate lubrication statements for all engines.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963