Oil Temps for Street Racing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went a did a few runs on the highway here in texas, was about 75-80 degrees outside probably. After a few pulls (50-90mph) my oil was at 240 degrees and it got me a little worried lol. Is this temperature ok or should I let the truck cool off more .

5.7 Hemi 2wd Stock

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
It all depends what oil you’re running. Tier 1 oils can handle heat very well; if your just playing around a few times a year I would not worry about it. If your really enjoying the power day after day then I’d go with Amsoil or Redline.
All the testing I’ve seen most oils thermal stability threshold is around 260-295. If I see 240-250 oil temps then I know the oil is breaking down Fast. Oil flowing through the engine internals can be 60+ degrees Hotter than the oil sump temperatures. So 250 degrees oil sump temps + 60 degrees = 290 degrees Fahrenheit. That oil is getting maxed out.

What oil and filter combo are you running?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Went a did a few runs on the highway here in texas, was about 75-80 degrees outside probably. After a few pulls (50-90mph) my oil was at 240 degrees and it got me a little worried lol. Is this temperature ok or should I let the truck cool off more .

5.7 Hemi 2wd Stock

How many pulls were these "few pulls",lol.I will make about 3 back to back 1/4 mile passes before my oil temps hit 220 and tranny temps will be around 215,and I park the truck for at least a 1/2 hour in the pits with the hood open,and that's giving it the time to drive back down the return road and cool down slightly before the next pass.A relocated filter set-up might help you a bit,i don't know if i'd go for the full oil cooler set-up though,as that drops your pressures a fair bit.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@Wild one How often do you change your oil, Rick? might be useful for the OP to know.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@Wild one How often do you change your oil, Rick? might be useful for the OP to know.

I usually change it about every 4,000 miles/6,000 clics Terry,that's basically once a year for my truck,lol. I run both the wifes 5.7 Challenger and my truck on 5W-30 Redline and let me tell you my ass puckers right up when it's oil change time on both,lol.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
lol. I bet! i thought maybe you changed it every after every race session!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
lol. I bet! i thought maybe you changed it every after every race session!

I'm a touch ****,but not quite that bad,lol. I still hold Burla responsible,the sum-***** talked me into Redline on my old 13 years ago,and I've been hooked on the gold plated stuff ever since,lol.Just razzing ya Burla,lol

OP
OP
14Fiveseven

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many pulls were these "few pulls",lol.I will make about 3 back to back 1/4 mile passes before my oil temps hit 220 and tranny temps will be around 215,and I park the truck for at least a 1/2 hour in the pits with the hood open,and that's giving it the time to drive back down the return road and cool down slightly before the next pass.A relocated filter set-up might help you a bit,i don't know if i'd go for the full oil cooler set-up though,as that drops your pressures a fair bit.
Basically we drive out for 10 mins and then its 40-100 rolls, line up again, race, etc. Typically flooring it for a good few seconds. And then back to lining up. Im going to take more breaks for sure.

OP
OP
14Fiveseven

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It all depends what oil you’re running. Tier 1 oils can handle heat very well; if your just playing around a few times a year I would not worry about it. If your really enjoying the power day after day then I’d go with Amsoil or Redline.
All the testing I’ve seen most oils thermal stability threshold is around 260-295. If I see 240-250 oil temps then I know the oil is breaking down Fast. Oil flowing through the engine internals can be 60+ degrees Hotter than the oil sump temperatures. So 250 degrees oil sump temps + 60 degrees = 290 degrees Fahrenheit. That oil is getting maxed out.

What oil and filter combo are you running?
Im running the recommended mopar oil filter and for oil its some cheap penzoil (high milage,fully synthetic) but from what im hearing its a huge mistake. I go out to run the truck every weekend but only for 1-2 hours straight. Thats what worries me as its still running race after race and im scared im doing irreversible damage. Thanks for the reply also

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im running the recommended mopar oil filter and for oil its some cheap penzoil (high milage,fully synthetic) but from what im hearing its a huge mistake. I go out to run the truck every weekend but only for 1-2 hours straight. Thats what worries me as its still running race after race and im scared im doing irreversible damage. Thanks for the reply also
And its probably safe to say you're running 5W20 too right if your running a Mopar filter. You definitely need to step up to a 5W30 for sure at a minimum and for any heavy duty or racing application Redline is your answer. How many miles on the truck? I would assume more than 75K since that's what most HM oils are recommended for. Redline is expensive but its way cheaper than a new engine.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Basically we drive out for 10 mins and then its 40-100 rolls, line up again, race, etc. Typically flooring it for a good few seconds. And then back to lining up. Im going to take more breaks for sure.
Here in the metro Detroit area we call this commuting to and from work.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
1-2 hours is serious stuff imo; definitely time to upgrade to a tier 1 oil. I don’t race anymore but when I did I was serious about my fluids, engine oil, transmission and rear diff all got the best money can buy. And serviced regularly!

OP
OP
14Fiveseven

14Fiveseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And its probably safe to say you're running 5W20 too right if your running a Mopar filter. You definitely need to step up to a 5W30 for sure at a minimum and for any heavy duty or racing application Redline is your answer. How many miles on the truck? I would assume more than 75K since that's what most HM oils are recommended for. Redline is expensive but its way cheaper than a new engine.
Im running 5w30 and my truck has around 87000 miles already. For sure going to do oil changes sooner and with that type of oil. Appreciate it