Only 2 types of people in this world

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That rust is pretty normal for driveshafts that aren’t aluminum and not coated in anything. Not gonna hurt anything. There’s lots of metal parts on new vehicles that don’t get coated in anything and develop surface rust.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
first thing i noticed underbody when i looked at my Ram which only had 104 miles on it. Damn that's a rusty looking driveshaft:) Anyone who has spent a lot of time around Tacoma's will know that there were issues on I believe the first and 2nd generation (1998 to 2004) tacomas with the frames rusting and Toyota backing back and in some cases, even replacing the frames on them. having to do with a bad undercoating process as I understand it. If caught in time there was a preventative undercoating service bulletin for it. So I got my 2003 checked a few years after I bought it (especially being in a 4 season climate) to make sure the preventative had been done. a year later I got the bug for a newer Tacoma. This was 2011 and I was looked at a used 2009. I got under it and looked at the frame. It had more rust on it than my 2003! Go figure.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once I could finally afford to pay cash, I started buying new vehicles. The first thing I do is peel off the dealership sticker. The second thing I do is slither under the vehicle with a can or 2 do Rustolium. I HATE rust of any kind, anywhere. Period. There's no excuse for rust ever. It's just neglect.

Ok, I feel better now. As you were...

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I noticed the frame vibration dampeners were not pictured

Lower your truck so nobody sees the underside at the local Walmart meets, problems all solved.

OP
OP
Duane Pipes

Duane Pipes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed the frame vibration dampeners were not pictured

Lower your truck so nobody sees the underside at the local Walmart meets, problems all solved.

Yeah I definitely got those. Dampeners were very rusty thought they were oranges haha

If I do this again I'd use POR 15 topcoat. Used regular stuff to touch up rusty spots on the receiver. Didn't last 2 months. And def get the pint can

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fold a piece of cardboard like a tent and hold it above the driveshaft and do a small section at a time. Or you can spend the time and mask it all off with paper and tape.
Jay

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good idea! Have to figure out if I can get my fat ass right under there. LOL

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good idea! Have to figure out if I can get my fat ass right under there. LOL

Lol.....yeah just like pull ya said just some cardboard a drop light & paint ......get it all ready so ya don't have ta crawl back out!!....lol

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
first thing i noticed underbody when i looked at my Ram which only had 104 miles on it. Damn that's a rusty looking driveshaft:) Anyone who has spent a lot of time around Tacoma's will know that there were issues on I believe the first and 2nd generation (1998 to 2004) tacomas with the frames rusting and Toyota backing back and in some cases, even replacing the frames on them. having to do with a bad undercoating process as I understand it. If caught in time there was a preventative undercoating service bulletin for it. So I got my 2003 checked a few years after I bought it (especially being in a 4 season climate) to make sure the preventative had been done. a year later I got the bug for a newer Tacoma. This was 2011 and I was looked at a used 2009. I got under it and looked at the frame. It had more rust on it than my 2003! Go figure.

My Dad's 2007 Tacoma had to have the whole frame replaced. Was a PITA I like what you did with the drive shaft. It's a good color too!!

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That surface rust you see actually protects the driveshaft, perfectly normal and doesn’t hurt anything.
That has to be the first time I’ve ever heard someone say that rust is protective, what a hoot.