Operation: Big speakers little holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey Brad I'm going to start another thread but till then I wanted to ask a question related to my up and coming man cave!!!!

I'm going to buy 4 Polk Audio MC60s. Only problem is I don't see any specs on airspace. Much like you if I'm going to do it I want to do it right. My thoughts on mounting them is actually to take some osb and mount it in between the ceiling and the wall to get the speakers pointing downward. Like this / in the back and \ in the front. However, if you think it would just be better to mount them in the wall that fine too, but I thought hey I'll do something a little different. Worse Imagining?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know I'm not Brad but I know he has a ton going on right now and will take a bit to answer you.
Ceiling speakers are inherently made to be ran infinite baffle like the ones in a car door so no need for an enclosure.
So what are your goals? Movies? Music? both? and do you want room to add more power down the road?
If you are into DIY what I would suggest is a set of these as it will give you better speaker sensitivity aka louder on less wattage and down the road you can add more power safely and not worry about harming the speakers.
Volt-6 Coaxial Speaker DIY Sound Group
Hope this gives you a little help.

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Makes sense. I just got finished IMing my neighbor and he told me I could have his older receiver. It's a VSX-31. Sweet. Sports and Movies is what I'm going for. I always get in trouble when I crank up movies in the house, so it's off to the cave with me. I was going to use a STR-DE575 because it was also going to be free, but I was already look at receivers, because the STR doesn't have HDMI. It use to kill me to no end when I would watch movies and the words and lips were off. I still have to come up with the most important piece, the center channel. Based on that receiver what do you think?

OP
OP
BradKnob

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
^^^ he's right. Those speakers are made to run in open airspace. I'd just mount them in the wall or ceiling.

Free stuff is the best stuff!! Most of the time. What kind of budget u have for a center channel? Parts express has a nice selection of budget friendly options. I've heard good things about the pioneer Andrew jones line. Maybe check those out.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love love love my Pioneer Andrew Jones, that being said most of the DIY community tends to say you can build a better center channel for less, the towers nope they are better than what you can build for the money period.

dengland

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know I'm not Brad but I know he has a ton going on right now and will take a bit to answer you.

Brad - Life any calmer? Been awhile since you posted. Been able to devote any time to your set up?

OP
OP
BradKnob

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Brad - Life any calmer? Been awhile since you posted. Been able to devote any time to your set up?

Well, I'm not working 7 days/week any more but I had a few side projects to get out the way and between that and the wife not being able to much on her own at the moment, the fuel pump burning up in her car, and trying to transform a "storage room" into a nursery, I've had next to no time spend on the truck. I've actually just been enjoying it in the mean time.

Not being able to have zero audio projects going on, I'm whipping up a lil set of desk top speakers for my desk at work. I'll post wm up when I'm done.

OP
OP
BradKnob

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep, been a helluva a journey just to get to this point. I'm ready to meet who's been reaking all this havoc in there.

dengland

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, been a helluva a journey just to get to this point. I'm ready to meet who's been reaking all this havoc in there.

Congratulations. Be sure to post some baby pics. We want to see how that project turns out too.

My little girl hit 20 earlier this month. That was 20 years. Time will fly!

OP
OP
BradKnob

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Congratulations. Be sure to post some baby pics. We want to see how that project turns out too.

My little girl hit 20 earlier this month. That was 20 years. Time will fly!

Thanks bud.... Will certainly share my pride and joy with the RAM family.

Here's a sneak peak at my desktop project... Mmmm shiny!

45d2162247699ba6e972fea6ebcfbceb.jpg
d998e4c4cf15af047945fa1725fb5ec0.jpg

OP
OP
BradKnob

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They took our TV privileges away at work (1st world problems) so I'm building a little set of desk top speakers using a set of 3" tang band full range drivers in a 2 channel setup. Nothing crazy. Just a small cheapish project to help water down the Pinterest projects that have been consuming my life lately

1b8e8d98566fcd5441f2fa72313c3b45.jpg

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They took our TV privileges away at work (1st world problems) so I'm building a little set of desk top speakers using a set of 3" tang band full range drivers in a 2 channel setup. Nothing crazy. Just a small cheapish project to help water down the Pinterest projects that have been consuming my life lately

1b8e8d98566fcd5441f2fa72313c3b45.jpg

Looks cool! Don't forget to do a full sound deadening application to your desk , though.

robo99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Lone Star
Engine
Congrats on all the upcoming new additions, especially the 2 legged one.