opinions on using engine to brake or brakes to brake

Use Brakes or engine to brake

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drive 35 miles to work. I go up a 6% grade on the way to work, but of course, go down it in the afternoon / early evening on the way home. It is about 5 miles long, drop from 2700 ft to 1200 ft of elevation.

I always use the engine to break. I set my cruise at 53, and let the transmission downshift to hold the speed (the speed limit is 55, but when I set the cruise at 55, the RPM's stay at or above 3500 rpms, and the oil runs 90 psi in pressure.

I grew up learning not to use the brakes when going down steep declines, but am I causing damage to the engine running 3400 rpms for 5 miles. Just asking opinions and will try and do a poll.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That is what I do down steep grades and its not hard on the engine at all. There is no load on the engine going downhill like that and it will actually spend most of the time in decel fuel cut off, so theres little to no load and not using any fuel.

The 8 speed has special programming for this. If you have the cruise on as you say the transmission will downshift to help maintain speed. If cruise is not on and you tap the brakes quickly it will downshift as well. Riding the brakes all the way down is going give them a chance to overheat then warp.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't totally agree that it doesn't do damage to the motor.I don't like riding the brakes either but the motor is built to put out power not to have the power rammed back into it.Usually the throttle plates will be closed so it can't get air into the cylinders creating a vacum that will try and suck the oil past the rings.Don't be too surprised if it starts using oil.Ask someone who downshifts hard with their standards on a regular basis.

Anyways you're taking something that was built to do one thing and forcing it to endure the exact opposite.

Reactions: U&A

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your oil control rings or valve seals are bad, your going to get oil into the cylinder whether your accelerating or engine braking so the oil consumption is a moot point. If an engine can make the horsepower, it can take it. Only when you shift into the wrong gear and over speed the engine do you risk damage.
If you rely on your brakes too much descending a grade they may not be there to stop you before major front end damage occurs.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I use the engine to break all the time. The truck can handle it

Do it

IMO

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Don't totally agree that it doesn't do damage to the motor.I don't like riding the brakes either but the motor is built to put out power not to have the power rammed back into it.Usually the throttle plates will be closed so it can't get air into the cylinders creating a vacum that will try and suck the oil past the rings.Don't be too surprised if it starts using oil.Ask someone who downshifts hard with their standards on a regular basis.

Anyways you're taking something that was built to do one thing and forcing it to endure the exact opposite.

Every time i drive it.

And it uses no noticeable amount oil

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
90 psi, as in ninety? Are you sure?

Never actually watched during decel. I can see 5 percent increase but not 30

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The engine was designed to do it.

So don’t be afraid to do it.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine

May hit 90, my oil pressure on acceleration is can hit mid to high 70s, normal cruising at 60+ mid 60s. I have one of those odd higher than average oil pressure Rams though, but zero hemi tick.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Don't be a wuss. Just kick that baby in "N" and let her roll. It's like getting free gas. Brakes are over-rated.... :)

Except in neutral your using fuel to keep the engine running. During decel or down a hill you’re in decel fuel cut off which uses no fuel.

However if you wanna gain some free speed at idle, give er.

OP
OP
Neil E

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, once the RPMs hit 3500 they jump up. It seems to be normal, I just don't like the oil pressure that high.