OPTIMA H7 or DH7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So I must have missed this if it came up, when it came time to replace my oem, Optima didnt have an h7 battery, I see they label it DH7 if I'm not mistaken. So first h7 battery offering by them was 2018? So here is the question, if the goal is longevity and nothing else, is there an advantage going with Optima h7's over other h7 AGM batteries out there? Any downsides to using Optima?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
From what I've read, people have said Optima sorta went downhill after being bought by Johnson Controls.
You may be able to upsize to an H8 battery. An H8 is a little over an 1" longer but the battery tray should accommodate.
You might want to consider an Odyssey battery, they're made in Missouri.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
From what I've read, people have said Optima sorta went downhill after being bought by Johnson Controls.
You may be able to upsize to an H8 battery. An H8 is a little over an 1" longer but the battery tray should accommodate.
You might want to consider an Odyssey battery, they're made in Missouri.

+1

Also, I stayed with stock H7 size, as I don't have a bunch of add-on techno-glitz electrical gizmos. H8 is fine, I read you need to remove a hold down or something to fit in the tray, but it will fit. I just wasn't going to spend the extra loot if not needed. AGM is pricey enough as it is in stock size.

Installed 1-3/4 years ago. No problems, starts great, even after not run for a while. Which was why I got it.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Burley, get the H8. Why it didn't come factory with h8 is beyond me, probably bean-counters doing. It's super simple to run h8, one tiny plastic clip to remove. The battery blanket also stretches over the h8 easily as well.

I just swapped mine a few days ago, the factory Mopar gave out at exactly 5yr.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220929-100109_Canadian Tire.jpg
    Screenshot_20220929-100109_Canadian Tire.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
corey just put an h8 in his ram this week, no doubt I will get the h8. I have a theory it will outlast the h7, we'll see. I believe increasing capacity will give guys in cold area most benefit, but it is pretty mild here, my theory it buys you maybe a year or two, wel see.

ity-battery-life-compared-at-different-temperature.jpg

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
corey just put an h8 in his ram this week, no doubt I will get the h8. I have a theory it will outlast the h7, we'll see. I believe increasing capacity will give guys in cold area most benefit, but it is pretty mild here, my theory it buys you maybe a year or two, wel see.

View attachment 503372

Stock Mopar h7 agm was 765cca and 140min rc. The replacement I put in is 850cca and 170min rc. Should last....7 or 8yr?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Interesting chart. Crossover temp. Is 77 deg. F between capacity and life.

Now, apply this to a purely battery powered vehicle in northern North America and see what kind of charge range results with the heater on. NADA

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Interesting chart. Crossover temp. Is 77 deg. F between capacity and life.

Now, apply this to a purely battery powered vehicle in northern North America and see what kind of charge range results with the heater on. NADA
There was some biitching from Tesla owners in Edmonton last winter about their Tesla's at -40C/-40F,cars wouldn't make it to work with all the heaters going,and the one guy only had a couple miles to drive

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
There was some biitching from Tesla owners in Edmonton last winter about their Tesla's at -40C/-40F,cars wouldn't make it to work with all the heaters going,and the one guy only had a couple miles to drive

Reality's a beetch, isn't it?
So is physics.