Option advice for my next Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any time you mass product anything IMHO your going to experience some problems. Our trucks are put together by robots. There is no craftsmanship or pride in the product anymore. Build'm and get them out the door. You are likely to have some problems no matter what you end up buying. You want perfect transportation--walk.
Jay

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any time you mass product anything IMHO your going to experience some problems. Our trucks are put together by robots. There is no craftsmanship or pride in the product anymore. Build'm and get them out the door. You are likely to have some problems no matter what you end up buying. You want perfect transportation--walk.
Jay

What part is built by robots?

The body is welded by them, the paint is applied by them, windshields are installed by them but most everything else is put on or in your truck by humans. A final area of assembly in any plant has the bulk of employees working, on average between 300-500 per shift. I will agree that pumping them out the door is number one, same as it has been for 100 years, while one can be the best one ever built and the one behind it being a lemon. Today's world has become disposable and trucks are no different.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think I said "parts are built by robots". Read it again. And quality control is also done by humans---and after seeing pictures of some of the paint and the fit and finish of some trucks you'd have to think that some of the employees in the QC department are visually impaired-----or maybe there the ones pictured in news reports of being outside smoking weed on their breaks.
Jay

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think I said "parts are built by robots". Read it again. And quality control is also done by humans---and after seeing pictures of some of the paint and the fit and finish of some trucks you'd have to think that some of the employees in the QC department are visually impaired-----or maybe there the ones pictured in news reports of being outside smoking weed on their breaks.
Jay

And drinking, I remember those news videos!

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jay

Jay I worked in a plant for 15 years, read my post again, body and paint are primarily robots, people load parts in body with operators run paint lines, sealer lines and inspect. The quality will only be as good as the engineers will allow. When they back off water flow in the down draft or cut solvent purge the quality will suffer for them to put a feather in their cap.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess my whole point is that if you expect anywhere near the quality that vehicles used to have in years past(maybe many years past) I think your going to be sadly disappointed.
Jay

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My son bought a brand new 2013 Honda Accord, 2 door,V6 (Sport, I think) It's a nice car. Not flawless, tho. They forgot to paint a little nook by the rear "windshield". The battery cable corroded in two. Honda's are nice vehicles. Just don't expect something perfect. I've had enough Honda motorcycles to attest to that.

I'd put my old 99 Dakota against any and all Tacomas. The Toyota wouldn't stand a chance.

My 2011 Ram has been nearly flawless so far. Knock on wood.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
6'4" bed and brake controller. I like the rear defrost but if you are looking for 3.92's and full size bed you already have your work cut out for you.

OP
OP
T

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tomorrow I go look at a 17 with 3.92s and air ride. Buying extended bumper to bumper warranty. Hope I don’t need it too much.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tomorrow I go look at a 17 with 3.92s and air ride. Buying extended bumper to bumper warranty. Hope I don’t need it too much.

Depending on where you live. If it gets cold by any means expect to be using that warranty ALOT for the air suspension

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
New guy here.. I’m looking to replace my 07 Megacab Cummins with a 2-3 yr old 1500 4x4 crew Laramie to tow (7-10k) but mostly commute 10 miles/ day. 5.7, 8 speed, tow pkg are a must. Do I want 3.92 and air ride? Do these 1500s have a rear sway bar? What else should I consider and what years or options should I avoid??
I realize this won’t be a direct replacement to my 07 but I also won’t tow as heavy either.
Thanks! More questions to follow....
If it hasn't been mentioned consider Ramboxes if they are an option.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk