Ordered 35's , now second guessing myself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
About a week ago I pulled the trigger on some Nitto Exo Grapplers, 35x12.5x17 as a treat to myself for my 2020 PW. I have been wanting to go up to 35s since I bought it, and I just decided to say to heck with it and ordered them before I changed my mind again (usually the $$ bring me back down to reality). I have a Tazer that is en route already to recal the speedo etc. There's still 10/32nds left on my Duras in OEM size, so I am not in a panic to get it all installed. The EXOs weigh in at 74lbs each instead of the 54lbs for the OEM sized Duras as well as the expected diameter and width increase so I am expecting a slight drop in whatever dismal fuel economy I already get :rolleyes:

Today I loaded my SxS in my 22' car hauler and went for a 2 hour cruise to go do some playing in the snow, and I really paid attention to the times the PW had to work a bit to get that trailer moving and keep it moving. Not great roads for sure, but it got me thinking- did I make a huge mistake moving from the 33's to a 35? I tow quite a bit- the camper, the cargo trailer, etc. Sometimes loaded to 10K on the trailers (not this particular time). All of this crossed my mind, but for whatever reason it really started to bug me today.

I guess I really didn't take that into consideration as much as I should have given the 4.10 ratio and the 8 speed.

I've poured over thread after thread and I am getting a really mixed bag of results. Guess I am looking for some reassurance that I didn't just cripple myself for work tasks with this move. Do you 2019+ owners still work the wagon with 35s?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
:Big Laugh: that's pretty much what I needed to hear. I have a nasty habit of second guessing myself when I do dumb crap like this! I REALLY overthink things.
You are going to be just fine .... sit back, relax, wait for your new tires ... slap them on and just enjoy your truck homie ..... if a 1500 with 35s is fine with the 3.21s you are definitely ok ....

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
About a week ago I pulled the trigger on some Nitto Exo Grapplers, 35x12.5x17 as a treat to myself for my 2020 PW. I have been wanting to go up to 35s since I bought it, and I just decided to say to heck with it and ordered them before I changed my mind again (usually the $$ bring me back down to reality). I have a Tazer that is en route already to recal the speedo etc. There's still 10/32nds left on my Duras in OEM size, so I am not in a panic to get it all installed. The EXOs weigh in at 74lbs each instead of the 54lbs for the OEM sized Duras as well as the expected diameter and width increase so I am expecting a slight drop in whatever dismal fuel economy I already get :rolleyes:

Today I loaded my SxS in my 22' car hauler and went for a 2 hour cruise to go do some playing in the snow, and I really paid attention to the times the PW had to work a bit to get that trailer moving and keep it moving. Not great roads for sure, but it got me thinking- did I make a huge mistake moving from the 33's to a 35? I tow quite a bit- the camper, the cargo trailer, etc. Sometimes loaded to 10K on the trailers (not this particular time). All of this crossed my mind, but for whatever reason it really started to bug me today.

I guess I really didn't take that into consideration as much as I should have given the 4.10 ratio and the 8 speed.

I've poured over thread after thread and I am getting a really mixed bag of results. Guess I am looking for some reassurance that I didn't just cripple myself for work tasks with this move. Do you 2019+ owners still work the wagon with 35s?
Stick with the 35s!!

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 PW, I run two sets of tires one set of stock tires on stock wheels and one set of Toyo 35's on AEV wheels. I calibrate my speedo with an AEV procal I swap back and forth often and I will say when I go back to stock after running the 35's I always feel like i installed a super charger. I don't notice the big hit on power when going from stock to 35's but sure notice it going back down. my mpg does not really change between the two. I will say if I could only run one size I would probably be selling both sets and getting a set of 285/75-17's right in between the two sizes.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I like my 35s they seem to suit the truck the only real downside I found was that the whining got loud lol so I built rock sliders/ steps

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I’ve had 35s for a long time, almost worn out. The whole time I’ve regretted not getting 37s, so I’ll get some soon. Then I’ll regret not getting 35s again because of performance/efficiency reasons.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
If you bought a pw you probably didn’t think about mpg I know I didn’t that was then now I have a little pos that I drive to work when the roads are good

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nope, fuel economy doesn't really even hit my radar. If it did, I wouldn't have it, nor would I be considering going to a larger A/T tire. It's a work/play truck. It's always loaded, or always pulling, usually out in the fields off the road, going through snow, mud, whatever happens to get in the way, carrying whatever we need to fix/use/play with that day. We have my wife's Durango R/T for the highway travels! This truck rarely sees any unladen miles to be honest. It's a pack mule.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Run er til she dies then fix it stronger lol or build it tuff and hope it doesn’t break

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I pull a 22 foot car hauler with two buggies on it from Missouri to Montana every year my problem is not the 35's but more of the breaks coming down the mountains thats the only time I miss my CumminsView attachment 506518View attachment 506519
Love the hardware on that back of that trailer. My trailer is enclosed, and it has the 86"(?) roof and pulls like an apartment building!