Ordering 2022 Ram Rebel tomorrow (maybe)....probably

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenverRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Brand new here...I was planning on buying a 2022 Tundra to replace my 2017 but I hate the look of the new Tundra, inside and out. WTF Toyota?

I think I've decided on a new Ram, probably the Rebel....I'm trying to decide on the air suspension and/or an aftermarket lift. See pic of my current Tundra...it has a leveling kit. not lifted huge. I would like my new Ram to be lifted similar to this or maybe another inch or two.

I guess the question is should I skip the air suspension on the build and plan for aftermarket lift?

Thanks....I know very little about suspensions/lifting.

Attachments

• IMG-2922.JPG
    IMG-2922.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-2921.JPG
    IMG-2921.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 18

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll get about 4" from Entry/Exit mode to the highest mode which is Off-Road mode.

The modes are as follows (lowest to highest):

Entry/Exit
Aero
Normal
Off-Road

You can only travel up to about 20mph in the Entry/Exit and Off-Road modes. Once you get over 20, the system will default back to either Aero or Normal, which ever was set last. It's a great setup, but when it goes out it's usually an expensive fix. I have 120k on mine and I may have a small leak, so I'll more than likely swap it out for a Bilstein kit. Not looking forward to that.

OP
OP
D

DenverRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Thanks for the info...is entry/exit the same height as a Rebel would be if there was no air suspension. Meaning is the starting point up to the 4" starting where a truck would be if there was no air suspension?

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe the Normal setting is where non-air Rams sit, and from Normal to Off-Road mode is about a 2" difference. I'm in Off-Road mode in my sig pic, so you can gauge by that.

Entry/Exit mode gives it almost a slammed stance, but you can't drive it like that. It's really stiff too:

5a0EHjU.jpg

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's a video review. The air suspension is explained at around the 6:10 mark:

OP
OP
D

DenverRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
And I could install that with the air suspension without any issues ? Sorry for all the questions…I’m a total noob.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think you can do a leveling kit with the air suspension. I know BDS offers some 4" and 6" lifts that work with it, but I haven't looked into leveling kits.

A quick search turns this up:

...but I'm not sure how that would work with 35" tires. Best bet is to contact someone who's been through this stuff, like maybe Nick@gotexhaust who's a member here. I'm a bit of a noob myself, but I've been poking around a bit here and there. I can only pass along the small bit of what I've learned, which aint much.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, with 35" tires you'd need to recalibrate your speedometer.

OP
OP
D

DenverRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
And your thoughts of a 2" leveling kit with the air suspension?

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
And you don’t have great control over the air suspension. It wants to do what it wants to do. You can lift it or lower it, but eventually it will decide where it should be depending how fast you are driving.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Air suspension on the 1500s is a luxury thing for ride and fuel saving technique because it will ride low on the highway. But if you want to look off road and play off road, do the lift kits. On the 2500 and 3500 it’s for hauling and the air suspension (on back only) is for practical reasons to level out the rear end during a haul.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
*sets air ride to Off-Road*

Whoa... look at the view from up here. Did my ears just pop?