Ordering a 2015 Ram - Seeking Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
I am ordering a 2015 Ram 4x4 quad cab Laramie next month and am basically set on the setup of the truck except for one important basic element - the motor to order with it.

As background - I will use the truck as a daily driver - I have a 45 mile round trip commute to work everyday -mostly back roads 45-55 MPH, I don't tow hardly at all, my payload need is basically for firewood, lumber and occasional household stuff (i.e. furniture). That all said and in my mind I am basically coming down to one of two choices:
1.) Pentastar V6 3.6L - 8 speed transmission - with 3.55 rear axle; or,
2.) Hemi V8 5.7L - 8 speed transmission - with 3.21 rear axle.

I would love the Hemi but am fearful of the gas mileage - I absolutely could not afford 13-15 mpg. I have read some accounts if one is careful you can regularly get 17-18 mpg combined driving which starts to get into the acceptable range. But I would like some further accounts from actual owners.

I wouldn't mind the Pentastar as I have read good things about its performance and the mileage is very acceptable. The payload capability - which is my primary need - as configured above, and according to the Ram website payload calculator, is actually better than the Hemi. One last thing - I consulted with the dealer I am ordering from and they will install the same dual exhaust setup (including the rear bumper) as the Hemi as a dealer installed modification prior to my taking the truck. So the exhaust sound and look will be the same as the Hemi. It may sound crazy but I think this is a modification that is worth the cost.

So all that said I am seeking advice from anyone willing to contribute. Thanks in advance...

fondupot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are worried about the mileage, why not go with the diesel? I know the initial up charge is hefty, but the type of driving you do, I would guess mid-20's for MPG all day long.

Just a thought. Don't know if you've already ousted that as an option yet.

I cant weigh in on the other two motors, as we just got our 2014 Ram Hemi earlier this week.

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I drive a pretty even mix of city and highway, and my average is around 18mpg. All highway trips ~65mph typically get me 20ish mpg. The sweet spot for the Hemi is right around what you'll be driving on those back roads, so if you don't have frequent stops, I could see you pushing 22mpg for your drive. Hope that helps...

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I drive 9 miles 1 way to work and it's through 2 small towns and a FM road between them. So it's drive slow 60 mph drive slow 55mph and then I'm at work my display shows 16 if I'm nice to it and drive it easy I get 18 almost 19 in the display.
Hand calculated vs the display seems to be 1mpg off. 16 is hand calculated to 15. My truck is a quad cab 4wd express, hemi 6 speed 3.55. I bet the hemi 8 speed 3.21 would get you 2-3mpg over what I get. Stright highway I see 19-20 at 75mph. If you have the dealer install the dual exhaust it'll look the same but won't sound the same the 3.6 will always sound like a v6 the good thing is the factory exhaust is super quiet. If you can't afford 13-15 gas mileage I would say take the step down to the v6 its very easy to step into with the hemi and it likes gas lots of it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
How many miles do you plan to put on this truck every year?

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I went hemi 3.92 4x4. No regrets. If you plan on getting 4x4 then just get the hemi. A full size truck will always be thirsty regardless.

The sentence that concerns me is "I absolutely cannot afford 13-15 mpg." Bro, Hemi or pentastar, you will still get MPG that is typical of a full size truck. Which is in the 13-15 mpg. You can probably see a tad bit more with a light foot.

For you, I would go pentastar, 2x4, 8-speed and 3.21 (if offered). I promise you, you will be back on this forum asking about bolt ons to have more power. See it all the time. I know what it is like to commute with a truck and I know where you are coming from. It is hard to give up brute force for MPG.

It seems like you know what you want, I am an advocate for the Hemi, however, since MPG is a must have for you, 2wd/ pentastar/ 3.21. If you can afford the ecodiesel (it will take years to break even depending on your commute) then check that out.

OP
OP

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
How many miles do you plan to put on this truck every year?

Well, the commute to and from work each day yields about 12,500 miles per year plus additional around town and on weekends and the occasional out of town trip so probably about 17,000-20,000 miles per year.

OP
OP

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
I went hemi 3.92 4x4. No regrets. If you plan on getting 4x4 then just get the hemi. A full size truck will always be thirsty regardless.

The sentence that concerns me is "I absolutely cannot afford 13-15 mpg." Bro, Hemi or pentastar, you will still get MPG that is typical of a full size truck. Which is in the 13-15 mpg. You can probably see a tad bit more with a light foot.

For you, I would go pentastar, 2x4, 8-speed and 3.21 (if offered). I promise you, you will be back on this forum asking about bolt ons to have more power. See it all the time. I know what it is like to commute with a truck and I know where you are coming from. It is hard to give up brute force for MPG.

It seems like you know what you want, I am an advocate for the Hemi, however, since MPG is a must have for you, 2wd/ pentastar/ 3.21. If you can afford the ecodiesel (it will take years to break even depending on your commute) then check that out.

I appreciate the points you made but the 4x2 is absolutely not an option - I live in upstate New York and have all my life and have seen too many times the perils of rear wheel drive vehicles - no thanks.

Also, I probably overstated the can't afford 13-15 mpg rather I would really dislike shelling out perhaps as much as $5k a year into a gas tank. I drive 17-20k per year and that kind of mileage adds up. I agree with you on the Hemi - I test drove one and my brother has 2012 Hemi with the 6 speed - they're sweet and smooth - hard to resist. In fairness I have to drive the pentastar to see...

OP
OP

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
If you are worried about the mileage, why not go with the diesel? I know the initial up charge is hefty, but the type of driving you do, I would guess mid-20's for MPG all day long.

Just a thought. Don't know if you've already ousted that as an option yet.

I cant weigh in on the other two motors, as we just got our 2014 Ram Hemi earlier this week.

I did seriously look at the diesel - great motor if you're someone who tows often otherwise the payback is many years out. Plus the maintenance costs as accounted by owners is $350 per oil change at the dealer - I think the mileage is great and the motor itself is wonderful but just something that is outside of my needs.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For what you want the v6 should be fine. Not everybody buys a truck to use as a race car. The v6 with the 8 speed performs good. I don't know what diesel fuel prices are up there, but where I'm at it would take you a long time to ever break even with a diesel.

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
I did seriously look at the diesel - great motor if you're someone who tows often otherwise the payback is many years out. Plus the maintenance costs as accounted by owners is $350 per oil change at the dealer - I think the mileage is great and the motor itself is wonderful but just something that is outside of my needs.
350 for oil change Wtf?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

I can't imagine the Eco deisel costing $350 to do a oil change my old 7.3l powerstroke that had a 13qt pan and a 2 qt oil filter was around $150 doing it myself couldn't be more than $200 to have someone do it. I found the eco diesel has a 8.2 qt capacity depending on the oil filter cost it shouldn't be a hole lot more than a oil change for the hemi.

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For argument's sake, let's say you get the Hemi and manage to drive it conservatively (18mpg) and fill up with 93 octane (probably unnecessary unless you've got mods). You'd get 468 miles out of a full tank and spend $78 ($3/gallon around here for premium) to fill it back up. That comes out to 16.6c per mile. If you were to get 24mpg out of the diesel and fill up at $3.33 per gallon, that's 13.9c per mile, or a 2.7c per mile savings. So over the first 10,000 miles, you'd save $270. Over 100,000, you'd be $2700 ahead on fuel. But you'd still be $400 behind after the $3100 you spent on the engine, and most likely several hundred or more behind on oil changes and maintenance. If you drove it more aggressively but used less than premium fuel, it'd essentially be a wash. Doesn't really seem worth it to got with the diesel unless you truly need a diesel engine (in which case, why not get a 2500 or 3500??)

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
For argument's sake, let's say you get the Hemi and manage to drive it conservatively (18mpg) and fill up with 93 octane (probably unnecessary unless you've got mods). You'd get 468 miles out of a full tank and spend $78 ($3/gallon around here for premium) to fill it back up. That comes out to 16.6c per mile. If you were to get 24mpg out of the diesel and fill up at $3.33 per gallon, that's 13.9c per mile, or a 2.7c per mile savings. So over the first 10,000 miles, you'd save $270. Over 100,000, you'd be $2700 ahead on fuel. But you'd still be $400 behind after the $3100 you spent on the engine, and most likely several hundred or more behind on oil changes and maintenance. If you drove it more aggressively but used less than premium fuel, it'd essentially be a wash. Doesn't really seem worth it to got with the diesel unless you truly need a diesel engine (in which case, why not get a 2500 or 3500??)

I agree with this completely. The Eco diesel doesn't add up for a daily commute it seem logical for people that drives hundreds of miles a day such as landscape, sales, customer to customer, contractors that makes lots of trips those people would benifit from the Eco diesel especially if they are pulling some kind of trailer. I don't think the maintence would be a lot different but replacement parts would.

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since you won't do hardly any trailering or towing, and you'll be driving up to 20k miles a year, I'd get the Pentastar with LSD.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I can't imagine the Eco deisel costing $350 to do a oil change my old 7.3l powerstroke that had a 13qt pan and a 2 qt oil filter was around $150 doing it myself couldn't be more than $200 to have someone do it. I found the eco diesel has a 8.2 qt capacity depending on the oil filter cost it shouldn't be a hole lot more than a oil change for the hemi.

It isn't $350 but it is easily more than your old powerstroke. It takes 10 quarts with filter and it is 5w40 European penzoil full synthetic oil. The filter is also costs $40 and so far there is not an aftermarket one.

Big Payment

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy a Dart and have your firewood, lumber and furniture delivered. You will save a fortune

DougM55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to the dealer and drive one of each. I did and ended up with the Hemi. Love it!

Bravo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was there a reason for not selecting a 2014 Bighorn,or Lone star.or Express packaged trucks they are discounting them around 10,000 dallors. Some have V6,that are loaded pretty nice.There is not much discount on 2015 yet.Either power train you select will be fine as long as you do not select axle ratios above 3:55.