Ordering a 2021: Is 3% under invoice plus any factory incentives at delivery a good deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I've giving up trying to find a 2020. Going to order a 2021. I've had two different new car managers at two different dealers tell me it will take approx eight weeks to arrive after the order is placed.

The dealer that let me test drive two trucks fairly long distances (a diesel longhorn and a hemi limited) will do 3% under invoice which is invoice minus his holdback. $299 doc fee and no BS in the finance department. I'll get whatever incentives FCA has when it arrives.

I've willing to fly to get a 7 or 8% under invoice deal but I'm not sure that happens on these trucks like it does on Jeeps.

Thanks for any advice.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Not to be a wise as*, but, if no other dealer will match or beat that, than sounds like a good deal to me.

OP
OP
H

hammick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Not to be a wise as*, but, if no other dealer will match or beat that, than sounds like a good deal to me.

Well that was a :dancingpoop: response. I'm trying to see how much better other people have done so I don't have to spend hours talking to new car managers. Compared to the cars and SUVs I have bought in the past 10 years 3.2% under invoice is not a great deal.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You can't really compare what deal somebody got in WA vs what you get in KS. Local market demands rule. If nobody wants Ram's in Seattle, then cheap price to unload them. If demand is high in KS then, higher price. You going to spend money on a plane ticket to WA, motel room, food, gas, then waste two days of driving to get back to KS. My time is worth more than that to save what, another $1000?

Can't say you got a good deal on a Hyundai 10 years ago so therefore that translates to Ram today.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For a 2021, I would say that's a good deal.
I wouldn't count on many if any incentives on a 2021, why would you discount a vehicle that the model year is just starting?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Give Dillon a call. They are a good, no BS, low priced dealer. They'll give you a quote that you can rely on. Get their quote and compare it to your dealer quote. Your dealer will want your business.

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Give Dillon a call. They are a good, no BS, low priced dealer. They'll give you a quote that you can rely on. Get their quote and compare it to your dealer quote. Your dealer will want your business.
Dillon? Who's Dillon?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Dennis Dillon. I think they are in Idaho or Vegas. Can't remember now

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The big question.... is it really 3% under invoice? Dealers are really hesitant on even offering those numbers.

I would rather have a detailed breakdown of all of the cost...with any dealer fees, and tax/tags.

Sounds too good to be true. You can’t just Google “invoice pricing on a 2021 ram 1500” and compare. If you know of a place that will show invoice pricing, please share.

Used to own a Ram 1500, Current owner of a Dodge Charger scat pack

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
3% under invoice is probably their FFP (Friends & Family Purchase). A fairly good deal. Ask for a copy of their POC, that will show you the pricing.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3% under invoice is probably their FFP (Friends & Family Purchase). A fairly good deal. Ask for a copy of their POC, that will show you the pricing.
Well in that case...I need to find some friends at a dealership..
Lol

Used to own a Ram 1500, Current owner of a Dodge Charger scat pack

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
You don't need to find some friends. That's just an official price point that they can go to I you negotiate to it.

lezmark7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought a 2020 2500 and i shopped and wouldnt settle for less than 8%. When dealers KNOW you will walk away you will get the best deal.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2020 is a lot easier to get way under invoice. Right now the 2021s are just rolling onto lots and most dealers are low on 2020s so they are less willing. Plus the 2020s have a ton of rebates right now. The Laramies I was looking at were all close to 10% off invoice after rebates, just couldn’t find the right options.

I’ve priced new 2021s at about 7 local dealerships and 3 of them were willing give me a copy of the build sheet with sticker, invoice, ffp, hb (hold back i assume) and ep (employee pricing I assume). 2 of those three offered invoice and 1 offered ffp. From the looks of it, ffp is about 1% under invoice. If you got 3% off it looks like you probably got ffp minus about half of hold back. That’s a good deal and you probably won’t beat it.
On top of that you’ll get whatever rebates are available when it delivers, but I’m wouldn’t expect that to be too terribly much.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Bottom line in every negotiable purchase, whether it be a vehicle, home or used wrench at your local pawn shop, you have to walk (or drive) away comfortable about what you paid, for what you got. Nobody else’s opinion matters but your own.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where is this at?

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should also mention that if there's any chance of finding a 2020 with the options you like you should be able to do more like 15% off sticker, maybe better. There's nothing on the 2021 worth the difference in price, I just couldn't find what I wanted (or more importantly couldn't find them without the options I didn't want).