Overhead cam.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Just had a thought wondering why no companies have made an aftermarket overhead cam conversion for the hemis. I'm sure there could be some wicked performance gains from. Not to mention being able to pull more rpms and less lifter problems. [emoji48] Just my ramblings. Anyone have thoughts on this??

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That would necessitate an awful lot of large, precision parts (as in... heads, timing assembly...) and cost many thousands of dollars for questionable gains.

Or a person could just install a supercharged 6.2 or the SRT8 6.4 :)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just had a thought wondering why no companies have made an aftermarket overhead cam conversion for the hemis. I'm sure there could be some wicked performance gains from. Not to mention being able to pull more rpms and less lifter problems. [emoji48] Just my ramblings. Anyone have thoughts on this??

Probably not a big enough market to justify the R&D costs,and as stated it would entail a whole new head casting/timing cover casting etc. and a chain probably 10 ft long,lol.Plus you'd need a blank cam in the original cam journals.It'd be cheaper to just stick a Whipple blown big cube 6.4 in instead,and probably upgrade to the newer 95 tranny

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if indeed the rumours are true the 5.7 hemi is going away, we'll be lucky to have aftermarket parts, as it is!

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll bet Dodge keeps making the 5.7, 6.2, and 6.4 until it will no longer pass emissions. The cam is the big weakness in these engines.

The Pentastar has proven than they could make a very good overhead cam engine if they wanted. Just put 2, or better yet, 4 more cylinders on the Pentastar, and call it a day.

There's a pretty good chance that my 11 will need a cam, and everything that goes with it. Even if it doesn't, it'll always be on the back of my mind. But the flip side of all that is that I have money allocated for the new cam, and I'll put a little hotter cam into it if it comes to that.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'll bet Dodge keeps making the 5.7, 6.2, and 6.4 until it will no longer pass emissions. The cam is the big weakness in these engines.

The Pentastar has proven than they could make a very good overhead cam engine if they wanted. Just put 2, or better yet, 4 more cylinders on the Pentastar, and call it a day.

There's a pretty good chance that my 11 will need a cam, and everything that goes with it. Even if it doesn't, it'll always be on the back of my mind. But the flip side of all that is that I have money allocated for the new cam, and I'll put a little hotter cam into it if it comes to that.
Yeah my 2015 is gona need a cam too. It's developed the lifter tick. I'll definately be putting a hot cam in it

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah my 2015 is gona need a cam too. It's developed the lifter tick. I'll definately be putting a hot cam in it

What are you gonna put in it for a cam? Chris Zelinsky/Player 3 Performance Tuning in Edmonton is the local TSP cam dealer

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I think one of the biggest challenges there is size and weight. With full acknowledgement that they do sell a lot of trucks that justify the engine on its own, economy of scale is helped by the fact they can put the same engine in RWD cars and SUVs too. OHC/DOHC means much larger and heavier heads and since (properly balanced) V8s are 90 degrees that makes an OHC V8 a whole lot wider than a (properly balanced, 60 degree) OHC V6 even if they have the same bore and stroke. Making the engine wider and heavier limits what platform it can be installed in.

The 4.7 was OHC, but the largest displacement on that block was 4.7... that's a whole econo car engine smaller than a 6.4L hemi. On the topic of the 4.7, apart from the B.S. with the valve seats the HO version of that engine was really a quite good machine. A smaller, high RPM DOHC V8 would be cool to see but I doubt we ever will - much more likely to see either forced induction or more semi-hybrid powertrains like etorque. Nothing wrong with those.

It would not be good to make a Pentastar with 8 cylinders; a 60 degree V8 would be wildly imbalanced and require huge balance shafts and complex, fluid filled engine mounts to be acceptable in today's standards for NVH.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
What are you gonna put in it for a cam? Chris Zelinsky/Player 3 Performance Tuning in Edmonton is the local TSP cam dealer
I'm not sure yet. I'd like skme decent performance but don't Wana lose my decent towing but wana beat most trucks out there. I need to do skme research lol.

Slocab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure yet. I'd like skme decent performance but don't Wana lose my decent towing but wana beat most trucks out there. I need to do skme research lol.

Definitely hit up Chris. Those tsp cams are showing up strong on the dyno graph for where the powerband hangs out. I’d definitely say a stage 1 or 2 would be right up your alley.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Definitely hit up Chris. Those tsp cams are showing up strong on the dyno graph for where the powerband hangs out. I’d definitely say a stage 1 or 2 would be right up your alley.
I like that. I goda go big or not at all haha. How's that switch workin for Ya?

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kurek, it shouldn't surprise me that it's not as simple as just adding 2 cylinders.

Motorcycles have had over head cam engines, forever. If it'll fit in a motorcycle, surly they can get it under the hood of a Challenger.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I was thinking external timing belts. And pulleys.