ozone generator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I finally broke down and bought my own ozone generator. This one in case anyone is interested.
Ozone Generator

When I bought my truck it had 10 little tree air fresheners hanging from the rear view mirror. No amount of cleaning was able to get rid of that smell. I can't stand artificial scents. I don't know what he was trying to cover up, but every time I got in the truck all I could smell was air freshener. Most people would have probably found it pleasant. I didn't.
While I was able to get it down to a manageable level, I could never really get rid of it. So, I finally broke down and bought an Ozone generator.

After reading the negative reviews, I realized what they had all done wrong so I figured I'd share.

1. After unboxing the generator, take it outside and plug it in and run it for 30 minutes. This is a new piece of electrical gear. It will experience flux burn off and you don't want that in your car. Make sure it's in an open area. I had mine out in front of my garage, pointing towards a semi enclosed work bench and even though it was outside when I went over to check the whole area was saturated.

2. After doing the initial burn off in step 1, it was obvious this thing was just too powerful to be ran for any longer than 15 minutes in an enclosed space like a car interior. That's the second biggest complaint is people say it takes 2 weeks to get rid of the ozone generator smell. So after cleaning your car and letting it dry, use this to finish off any lingering smells using short bursts. I used 15 minutes run time with 45 minute soak afterwards. Then open the doors and let it air out. I did this in the evening so I could check the smell in the morning on a fresh nose.

3. When running the generator, make sure the interior is sealed as best you can. I saw videos of some people leave the windows open a little to allow fresh air in. Don't do that. I ran the cord through the window, raised it up until it was almost pinching the cord and used painters tape to seal it off.

4. Be prepared to do several treatments. I came out this morning, no air freshener smell (I win!) but I do expect it to come back. When it does, I'll treat it again.
Especially if you are trying to get rid of something like cigarette smoke, remember what that is. The oily tar filled vapor that was exhaled by someone. That's like a paint mist. Expect to have to treat that several times.

Since I only ran the unit for 15 minutes I had no over powering smell. It was more an absence of air freshener that I smelled.

Anyway, I recommend this, if that means anything. It worked, and I didn't waste my money.