P219A codec bad fuel mileage pinging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmjrpayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I need some help . Got code P219A today truck running as if the timing is off ( pinging some times ) fuel mileage off also . Any ideas ( 5.7 )

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P219A-BANK 1 AIR-FUEL RATIO IMBALANCE

Theory of Operation
The purpose of the Cylinder Imbalance Detection diagnostic monitor is to detect an air/fuel ratio imbalance between the cylinders across an entire cylinder bank.

NOTE: Although it does not indicate as such, this fault will set because a specific cylinder on this bank is out of balance with the other cylinders. The fault may not be easily noticeable to the technician. During diagnosis, it is necessary to pay close attention to small differences between the cylinders during each of the test steps.
This imbalance can be caused by a number of different malfunctions including but not limited to:
  • Intake Manifold leak at a specific cylinder.
  • Fuel Injector problem.
  • Variable cam lift failure.
  • Camshaft/ Valvetrain problems.
  • Ignition system problems at a specific cylinder.
  • Engine mechanical problems relating to cylinder combustion at a specific cylinder.
The Cylinder Imbalance Detection requires that the Upstream Oxygen (O2) Sensors are capable of operating at high frequencies, since an aged O2 Sensors response capability at a higher frequency range can be degraded. Therefore, before this monitor can become active, the O2 Sensor High Frequency Response monitor is performed to see if the sensor is even capable of detecting an imbalance.

Once active, the Cylinder Imbalance Detection monitor matches up the Upstream O2 Sensor signal with the corresponding cylinders on that bank. Each cylinder is monitored and adjustments are made as needed for each cylinder to correct an air/fuel ratio imbalance. If an individual cylinder reaches a calibrated adaptation threshold (15%), the diagnostic monitor will be considered failing.

When Monitored and Set Conditions
When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

• With the engine running.
  • Closed loop fuel control.
  • Engine speed between 1000 - 2700 rpm.
  • Coolant Temperature (ECT) is between 70°C -122°C (158°F -251°F).
  • Calculated engine load between 30 - 90%.
  • The Upstream O2 Sensor high frequency diagnostic monitor has run and passed this trip, and P113D is not present or pending.
  • For flex fuel vehicles the Fuel Adaptive Learned must be completed.
Set Conditions:

• The PCM detects that one of the cylinders on bank 1 has an air/fuel ratio imbalance of 15% when compared to the other cylinders on the same cylinder bank.
Default Actions:

• The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes
INTAKE MANIFOLD LEAK AT A SPECIFIC CYLINDER ON BANK 1
FUEL INJECTOR ISSUES AT A SPECIFIC CYLINDER ON BANK 1
IGNITION SYSTEM ISSUES AT A SPECIFIC CYLINDER ON BANK 1
CYLINDER COMPRESSION IMBALANCE
CARBON BUILD UP
VARIABLE VALVE TIMING ISSUES
VALVE TRAIN ISSUES
O2 SENSOR

Aleckb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I need some help . Got code P219A today truck running as if the timing is off ( pinging some times ) fuel mileage off also . Any ideas ( 5.7 )

Mine is doing same thing, did you ever figure out what the problem was?

Also, mine stops doing it when I run it in tow/haul.