Parking Lights as DRL's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Footsieiii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So I am in need of some help from all you guru's out there. I need to get my paring lights to act as my DRL's. I have changed my headlights that have DRL light bars that activate with the parking lights. I have the ALPHAOBD app and I am able to activate DRL's but paring lights are not one of the choices. If I choose Turn Signal I get the turn signal lights but not the light bars so it has to be parking lights. I know there are some great minds out there that know the answer. If I can not get them on I will have to sign a death warrant that my wife will cash in because I will buy a whole new set of expensive lights again.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I used AlfaOBD to set my parking lights as the DRL's on my 2018 Big Horn. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I did it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What kind are the headlights? and is it possible to power the DRL separate from the parking lights?
If you can individually power the DRLs, you can add the dedicated DRL circuits to a truck that came equiped with Quads from the factory (Projector trucks already have this).
This thread has what to look for and what you need to do: (truck is a '14 but is the same for your '18)
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/what-kind-of-headlights-do-i-have.170404/

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Power the DRL tubes off an 'on w/ignition' fuse and your parking lights can then be set as DRLs separately.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
DRL cannot be set to park lights. Park lights are insufficient brightness for drl so computer doesn't accept that option. You can set to turn signals through.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I am in need of some help from all you guru's out there. I need to get my paring lights to act as my DRL's. I have changed my headlights that have DRL light bars that activate with the parking lights. I have the ALPHAOBD app and I am able to activate DRL's but paring lights are not one of the choices. If I choose Turn Signal I get the turn signal lights but not the light bars so it has to be parking lights. I know there are some great minds out there that know the answer. If I can not get them on I will have to sign a death warrant that my wife will cash in because I will buy a whole new set of expensive lights again.

Sounds like you have aftermarket lights. If that’s the case, the white DRL needs to be powered from the headlight to the fuse box, with a fuse tap. Post a pic of what lights you have and I can better help you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the projector type Parking lights are the default DRLs . Worked fine on mine

OP
OP
F

Footsieiii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I used AlfaOBD to set my parking lights as the DRL's on my 2018 Big Horn. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I did it.

I can set the turn signals as DRL but Parking Lights were not an option.

OP
OP
F

Footsieiii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
What kind are the headlights? and is it possible to power the DRL separate from the parking lights?
If you can individually power the DRLs, you can add the dedicated DRL circuits to a truck that came equiped with Quads from the factory (Projector trucks already have this).
This thread has what to look for and what you need to do: (truck is a '14 but is the same for your '18)
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/what-kind-of-headlights-do-i-have.170404/

I bought them from American Truck and were supposed to be plug and Play with no changes needed but I found out you have to have the parking lights set as DRL in order for them to work. I got fudtrated and purchased the AplhaRex G2 Pro to replace them.

OP
OP
F

Footsieiii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Power the DRL tubes off an 'on w/ignition' fuse and your parking lights can then be set as DRLs separately.

I thought about doing that but knowing my luck I would totally ruin them. Somehouw the wiring is tied into the parking ligts and thes were supposed to be plug and play (aka Idiot proof) but this idiot (me) is clueless on this stuff. LOL

OP
OP
F

Footsieiii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thank you everyone for the advice. I ended up purchasing new headlights (Alpharex G2 Pro) that were designed to wire to the fuse box. I was too afraid to start cutting wires to get these plug and play ones to connect. Knowing me I would have totally ruined them and would have had to buy new ones anyway. I know I can set the new ones up since they were designed to connect to the fuse box and have instructions. LOL