PCM exchange or buy spare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to tune my 2015 Ram 1500. What is the benefit of purchasing an extra PCM versus exchange/modification? Pretty sure I'll end up with custom tuning from somewhere but haven't got that far yet.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I exchanged mine. Much easier..

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess it comes down to how you want to handle an issue if something goes wrong with the truck and you need to go back to stock for warranty purposes. With a 2nd pcm you keep your factory one unmolested in your garage :)

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
If the dealer suspects anything they just check to see if cluster and pcm mileage is the same. If u have an issue like engine eats its self they will check both.

Ecofx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If the dealer suspects anything they just check to see if cluster and pcm mileage is the same. If u have an issue like engine eats its self they will check both.

so no point in getting second ecu? if u going to tune it just send you ecu and save yourself couple of hundred dollars

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think HPTuners will unlock your pcm for you. Just have to send it in to them. I am leaning towards that as it’s the same pcm not a swap and as well as there’s more tuning capabilities with HPTuners

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
so no point in getting second ecu? if u going to tune it just send you ecu and save yourself couple of hundred dollars
I wouldn't bother getting a second one. I didn't and they still do warranty stuff. I was clearly told they'd just not warranty engine and trans if I blow it up. Cams and stuff they might but I dono depends on the day with those guys

OP
OP
F

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think HPTuners will unlock your pcm for you. Just have to send it in to them. I am leaning towards that as it’s the same pcm not a swap and as well as there’s more tuning capabilities with HPTuners
Seems like a good approach, wonder if FCA can still tell if the PCM is unlocked though? I hate to jeopardize my warranty since I still have over a year left. I also despise the MDS and am growing tired of using the shifter to disable it. Might look at the Ranger unit to turn MDS off and wait until warranty is expired then go to a custom tune. Pulsar is still a thought too...

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems like a good approach, wonder if FCA can still tell if the PCM is unlocked though? I hate to jeopardize my warranty since I still have over a year left. I also despise the MDS and am growing tired of using the shifter to disable it. Might look at the Ranger unit to turn MDS off and wait until warranty is expired then go to a custom tune. Pulsar is still a thought too...
I actually bought me a extra one, just personal preference I guess. My thing is if something went wrong with that PCM I can swap them out while it’s being repaired versus being without my truck. Also speak with a few local dealers and get to know a good service advisor and a service technician (manager) and you may find that allot of them are mod friendly, unless the mod actually caused the issue.

OP
OP
F

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The two things that concern me the most are cam/lifter failure and exhaust manifold bolts breaking. I could see the warranty guys giving someone the big nope if there was any sign of PCM tampering on those.

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you wanna keep your original pcm pick one up off eBay to exchange, you can get them for $120-130

Sloverado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a spare one if you want to make me an offer on it. I sold the truck and took the tuneable one out and the diablo tuner off.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Buy a spare.

I needed mine.

It is piece of mind if something happens.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]